Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

First off, a proper-fitting orthotic is built off the skate, NOT THE OPPOSITE. When you go to a podiatrist, they will ask you what the orthotic is going into. It would be best if you go in with a skate so that when they make the orthotic, it fits the skate properly. That is why whenever I had people with just arch issues I would tell them that they didn't need custom skates and direct them to a podiatrist.

Now, if you want custom skates after your well-fitting orthotics, it is advisable to send them in with the tracing and measurements so that when the skate is made, the orthotic fits properly and everything else is in place.

mind-blown.gif

Thank you. You just saved me some money (possibly)

Does anyone know what options are available in custom skates for fitting around a bunion?

Tried on a pair of EE .9s today and they felt great everywhere except over my bunion (great toe side). It is impinges right where that black rubber/plastic triangle is located between the end of the toe cap and start of the composite....

The guy at the shop told me he only has "some" success with punching in that area....

I'm a little gun-shy to drop that amount of cash considering the above. It would be worth it to spend more money to guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem in that area. Is the wider toe box option in customs a solution to this problem?

If it is marked properly on the trace, then yes. I normally would take pictures of the area for reference and provide that.

On the old toecaps there were more options, edges were shaved/ground upon request. That disappeared from the spec sheets once the newer toecap debuted on the ONE90/XXXX. But a wider toecap can do wonders.

Does anyone know what options are available in custom skates for fitting around a bunion?

Tried on a pair of EE .9s today and they felt great everywhere except over my bunion (great toe side). It is impinges right where that black rubber/plastic triangle is located between the end of the toe cap and start of the composite....

The guy at the shop told me he only has "some" success with punching in that area....

I'm a little gun-shy to drop that amount of cash considering the above. It would be worth it to spend more money to guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem in that area. Is the wider toe box option in customs a solution to this problem?

I broke my foot in 2 places and jammed my toe over at an awkward angle on a bad jump in the military. It left me with a rather large ugly nasty bunion, on top of my already short, deep, really wide feet. JR fit me for my customs. He traced out the bunion and went with up sized toecaps. The area came pre-punched out from the factory, there was a noticeable divot inside the skate for the bunion to fit into. It still had a little bit of pressure and I had the area punched out a little bit more over a few days at a shop with a punchout machine. My bunion/bump is pretty sizeable. Think about a large marble cut in half. I needed customs regardless due to my feet, the work the factory did in that area made a big difference in relieving a pressure point.

Edited by hunterphfr

ive pretty much read through this thread at one point or another but was wondering if i wait til june to order my skates when should i expect them by?

Not sure, but I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear from Lhs when Bauer estimates delivery time. I was told that this is the slow season for the factory meaning that they are done with playoff orders and should be a little quicker than normal. My Lhs told me to expect 6 weeks under normal circumstances.

June isn't a bad time to order. Like Jeremy said, that wouldn't be an improbable time frame. Don't wait too long though, as once your reah the middle of the summer or so, things will eventually start to pick up.

Anything ordered after June 1 is potentially a bad time. Factory shuts down in July for three weeks and if your skates aren't done by then, they will sit there.

Mid-April is the best time.

If you put a skate in say, mid-June - and that skate is being worked on when the factory shuts down, it sits there for 3 wks untouched. So 9 weeks...

You asked me for the best time, and I said which it was.

alright thank you JR. unfortunately I will not be putting the order in until june :( but i was wondering when college teams put their order in? if you know. thank you. it seems you know alot about bauer and I was wondering how to paint the gold heel cap on the NXG's? any links. thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

I have a question for JR or anyone else that may know. I'm going to try to get skates at the upcoming sharks sale. Since most pro skates are built in the factory, do they have a marking that shows the width inside them? Where can I locate this marking?

I have a question for JR or anyone else that may know. I'm going to try to get skates at the upcoming sharks sale. Since most pro skates are built in the factory, do they have a marking that shows the width inside them? Where can I locate this marking?

They usually write it on the outsole or underneath the footbed. Buying Skates at the Sharks sale is going to be rough. It's a real crap shoot... I wouldn't bet on it. A couple years ago when I was the first person in the door (of the season ticket holder night) there were like 4 pairs of skates available.

Ok, thanks for the heads up! I may be getting in during the employee period, but if not ill be going in for the STH day Thursday. Last year I went for the STH day and there were a bunch of skates left. I almost grabbed a pair of mcginn x60s.

Time to bring the old topic back :)

The answer is likely going to be no, but I'm curious: is it possible to get the APX in the APXR colours? Of just get the custom APXR for ice if the boot internals are the same (tongue looks different, so as the boot cover above the front tower)? It just looks pretty cool to me: get these with stock black holders and THAT would be a thing of beauty! :)

BAPXRS-big.jpg

Edited by SolarWind

Just black-out the ice APX's. Bic-Mark-it.

would it actually last?

JR: I didn't realize that there was already a boot that's blacked out & looks totally awesome so wishful thinking on my part :)

I'm not surprised since the factory in St.Jerome doesn't seem to have any components that go into the skates made over-seas...

curious: why would "roller boots need to be sturdier than ice boots"? I always thought there's more force applied on ice then on the floor (digging into the ice vs pure rubber friction)?

An ice holder is plastic.

On an roller boot, you have an aluminum or magnesium frame...held on the same way. The wheels give, but the frame doesn't.

Back in the day, we would use an ice boot with an inline frame because it was stronger than inline boots at the time. Not so much anymore.

would it actually last?

After having my APX's for a year, the retail graphics don't last. I'm probably going to black mine out. _HSB_b345t blacked out his One60's with Bic Mark-It and said it's holding up pretty well last I communicated with him. I had photoshopped blacked-out APX's in one of the threads, but can't remember which one. Either way, the graphics grow on you.

An ice holder is plastic.

On an roller boot, you have an aluminum or magnesium frame...held on the same way. The wheels give, but the frame doesn't.

Back in the day, we would use an ice boot with an inline frame because it was stronger than inline boots at the time. Not so much anymore.

Very interesting - thanks JR

I do find it strange though since like you said ice boots used to be converted to hockey all the time (and still are I'd say) - I did that with my 1500C with no adverse effects...

so I'm curious now: if APXR is overbuilt as you say they what happens when that boot is convertd to ice? Any potential ill effects or otherwise? Damn I like the look of these skates! :(

Also what bugs me re St.Jerome - I understand if for instance they simply don't stock different color heel cups etc. But with skates being made by hand why do they HAVE to paint them in a certain way and can't let's say paint APX as NXG or so something?

You're missing my point. Nowhere did I say that ice boots would have adverse effects. At that time, inline boots weren't the best out there, so they needed a sturdier boot. So, ice boot it was. But nowadays, there's no need to.

You can use an inline boot for ice. I knew a few people who used to do that.

Why would it bug you? They make functional skates...not a fashion statement.

Ive seen people use the APXR boot and put some LS2s on it and havent had complaints. This however was through the internet and not someone I know personally

You really need an expert to do this. If you try to do it without knowing what you are doing, then you are setting yourself up for a improperly fit pair of "custom" skates, as well as a LOT of money down the drain.

Edited by kovalchuk71

Yeah, aside from just lengths and widths, there are 4 or 5 other measurements at the very least, from what I can remember. Are there any other shops within a reasonable driving distance? You should really have someone with experience do this stuff. It'll be worth the extra effort/trouble.