Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

If I wanted to have the lacing cut back by 1/4" on the top 2 eyelets ONLY (for skinny ankles), while also increasing lacing by 1/4" on the 3rd and 4th eyelet ...would this kind of modification be possible? Would the Additional comments section have to state something like this... "cut back lacing on top 2 eyelets by 1/4", increase lacing on the 3rd and 4th eyelets by 1/4" ?

Thanks

Yes

Thanks JR,

I am dealing with a fitting situation very similar to a member you assisted earlier, Jeff - http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39635-another-gem-from-jrs-custom-shop/page-13.

I have very prominent ankle bones, an inner ankle bone that sits way forward (very close to eyelets), and an outside ankle bone which sits way back. Would it also make sense (in conjunction with the comments above) to state on the Additional Comments section, "Cut back both outside ankle bone lacing (top 4 eyelets) by 1/4" and increase inside ankle bone lacing (top 4 eyelets) by 1/4".

Anyone know what tongue options custom Bauer skates offer, which would most closely resemble the stock tongue found in a retail one100 or One.9?

Or something similar to this?

280jd77.jpg2enntlg.jpg

Supreme felt with insert.

Some more info in regards to APX2 skates; if you have to increase volume, cut down the height of the shoulder or cut back lacing on top, you will be forced to have standard eyelets instead of the injected system that is on the stock skate; they can't modify it. You also can't get a molded tongue with the APX2 facing; you can get standard and double felt with it though.

Also, APX2 and NXG only come in #2 stiffness (retail) and above.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but would it not make the most sense, and yield the highest results to just have professional foot castings made (assuming this is feasible) and send those to Bauer to have a last built of them. Rather than going through all of the various modifications which are to a certain extent eyeballed and highly susceptible to human error?

Or will Bauer only work off "foot castings" if they are made 100% specific to their requirements / only used for Pro's skates (essentially only working off castings, if they themselves, were the ones who created them in St. Jerome.)

Just some food for thought,

Thanks.

Finally read through this entire thread, now that I'm seriously considering customs if the Makos don't work for me.

What is the minimum model Nexus to get customs in? Will they do Nexus 800?

Does anyone have any experience with the shops in SoCal? Specifically HockeyMonkey? As mentioned a few times in this thread, it's one thing to find a retailer that will do customs, but it's another to find one that really knows what they're doing :)

Finally read through this entire thread, now that I'm seriously considering customs if the Makos don't work for me.

What is the minimum model Nexus to get customs in? Will they do Nexus 800?

Does anyone have any experience with the shops in SoCal? Specifically HockeyMonkey? As mentioned a few times in this thread, it's one thing to find a retailer that will do customs, but it's another to find one that really knows what they're doing :)

Only top of the line models. So Nexus 1000.

Only top of the line models. So Nexus 1000.

Well that puts customs out of the question then. Oh well.

Ah maybe not... N1000 same price as Makos. Just the custom will be extra.

Edited by OptimusReim

Well that puts customs out of the question then. Oh well.

Ah maybe not... N1000 same price as Makos. Just the custom will be extra.

Customs have always been an upcharge

Is it possible to work out customs from a 3d image of your feet? I'm in europe so going through lhs isn't really an option.

I always made it a point to go over everything on the sheet and give them all of the options, then explain what they are, then explain what would work best in their situation.

That way, there is never a question about "Why didn't you tell me about this?" because I did.

Do you have a blank copy of the sheet? Thanks

They can alter almost anything on a custom boot fit-wise. Toebox size, forefoot width, heel width, pitch, reinforcement, tongues as well as alter the amount and thickness of the ankle padding.

How can pitch be altered? Through heel lifts or do they do something to the boot? Thanks

Supreme felt with insert.

Some more info in regards to APX2 skates; if you have to increase volume, cut down the height of the shoulder or cut back lacing on top, you will be forced to have standard eyelets instead of the injected system that is on the stock skate; they can't modify it. You also can't get a molded tongue with the APX2 facing; you can get standard and double felt with it though.

Also, APX2 and NXG only come in #2 stiffness (retail) and above.

When will APX2 be available for custom ordering?

Spoke to the custom skate department at Bauer today; there will be a new skate for those who want a traditional option; Nexus Vapor cut.

The guts of the skate will be traditional and look like a Nexus, however, will be cut like a Vapor. It'll be an option for those who like the feel of a Vapor, but prefer a traditional type of skate. Price isn't finalized yet.

Also those wanting APX2 will have to wait til end of April for production to begin.

NHL players seem to be using older Vapor skates to look like an X90.

Its like guys that have been wearing the "X7.0" boot this year and the year before.

Yes, but I got the impression that those players would be using "Nexus" skate.

Hey guys,

I was hoping to find some help in custom ordering some APX 2 skates. More specifically, I'm asking for help with width sizing, as I have extremely wide feet (4 1/2 inches). The width options are BA-BAAA, CA-CAAA, DA-DAA, EA-EAAA, EB-EEEEEEB, which I don't really fully understand (I suspect they're running narrowest to widest, but you never know). I'm also interested in better understanding the different kinds of reinforcements and padding, as well as where the quarters and the top guard are located. I would also like to better understand the stretching of the toes in arches, ie how the boot is affected, and which way the boot is stretched. I am also having troubles understanding what "old toe tips" are.

I know these are a lot of questions, and most of you will immediately tell me to head to my LHS or direct me to an older thread. However, I have searched and read as many threads on the matter, and still have these questions, and unfortunately, I am the most senior employee at the store (I have spent more time with the store than our manager). I've been given the task of understanding how to make custom orders, and I have decided it would be better to order my own skates to make sure that I fully understand the process. I already have basic measurements and options selected for myself (8 1/2 on my left and 8 3/4 on my right, 4 1/2 inches wide each foot, APX 2 skates, 2 stiffness, double felt tongue, standard APX 2 options for most everything else).

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, and I wouldn't mind the opinions and preferences of those who have their own custom skates.

Thanks so much you guys.

Double felt tongues are really thick. I would advise against those unless you have very low instep/forefoot volume.

Also, when ordering, APX2 INJ is the new lacing system where APX2/100 is the apx2 boot with traditional eyelets.

Good luck with everything else and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. I personally had a very good experience with Darkstar50's shop.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I was hoping to find some help in custom ordering some APX 2 skates. More specifically, I'm asking for help with width sizing, as I have extremely wide feet (4 1/2 inches). The width options are BA-BAAA, CA-CAAA, DA-DAA, EA-EAAA, EB-EEEEEEB, which I don't really fully understand (I suspect they're running narrowest to widest, but you never know). I'm also interested in better understanding the different kinds of reinforcements and padding, as well as where the quarters and the top guard are located. I would also like to better understand the stretching of the toes in arches, ie how the boot is affected, and which way the boot is stretched. I am also having troubles understanding what "old toe tips" are.

I know these are a lot of questions, and most of you will immediately tell me to head to my LHS or direct me to an older thread. However, I have searched and read as many threads on the matter, and still have these questions, and unfortunately, I am the most senior employee at the store (I have spent more time with the store than our manager). I've been given the task of understanding how to make custom orders, and I have decided it would be better to order my own skates to make sure that I fully understand the process. I already have basic measurements and options selected for myself (8 1/2 on my left and 8 3/4 on my right, 4 1/2 inches wide each foot, APX 2 skates, 2 stiffness, double felt tongue, standard APX 2 options for most everything else).

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, and I wouldn't mind the opinions and preferences of those who have their own custom skates.

Thanks so much you guys.

The way you're translating the sizing is wrong - this is the order from narrow to wide -

Forefoot - B/C/D/E/E/EE/EEE/EEEE

Heel AAA/AA/A/B

Quarters are the sides of the boot. Top guard = tendon guard

Double felt tongues are really thick. I would advise against those unless you have very low instep/forefoot volume.

Also, when ordering, APX2 INJ is the new lacing system where APX2/100 is the apx2 boot with traditional eyelets.

Good luck with everything else and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. I personally had a very good experience with Darkstar50's shop.

Thanks for the insight on the double felt tongue, I have actually yet to try the skate on (though I plan on doing so within the next few days) to determine proper measurements and the exact options I want such as stiffness and counter cuts.

Also, thank you for the heads up on the INJ/100 selections, though luckily I had the right selection.

I will definitely take a look at Darkstar's shop, thank you very much!

The way you're translating the sizing is wrong - this is the order from narrow to wide -

Forefoot - B/C/D/E/E/EE/EEE/EEEE

Heel AAA/AA/A/B

Here's a screen shot of the excel order form:

Screenshot2013-08-03at85902AM_zpsc33a7e8

So based on your information, I'd assume, say, a EEEB is EEE forefoot, B heel.

Thanks for your help guys!