Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lee92

"the end" - the doors

hey, thought it wouldn't kill to put this up on here since theres quite a few smart fellas on here. has anyone heard the song "the end" by the doors? i have a 300 word essay on it for english on the interpretation of the song, as i need to know what the songs doing, is it worth doing, and is it done well. i'm just a little stumped on figuring out what the song means as a whole. if its on suicide, love n lost, an acid trip, sex, or whatever

Morrison was fascinated with the after life and death in general. The whole purpose of most of his music was this premise. The band name "The Doors" was meant to represent the door to the other side. Did he want to kill himself? You could say he probably did but I would say the song is more about death and whats waiting on the other side of the "door".My two cents ...

Yes, agreed. And if you want to think about it in movie terms, Capt. Willard went through that long river trip to see Col. Kurtz who was waiting at the other side of the door...

i haven't seen apocalypse now, but my eng teacher did show us the opening of it where they play this song. and he also talked about apocalypse and how it means the great end

Anything to get Morrison in touch with "the other side" was game. Drugs, Suicide, and the whole Indian thing was meant to get him closer.

He was a bit on the whacked side but still brilliant.

I think you need to do an interpertation on Morrison & the Band and then tie it into the song. 300 Words will be easy.

Use different words though ... ;)

yeah, well its 300 words, about 3 paragraphs, reviewing the art (the song), by asking myself what the songs doing, is it worth doing, and is it done well. i can figure up the last two, its just figuring out the meaning of the song to understand it all

I hated trying to dissect meaning from songs or other creative works in school. It takes away from the enjoyment of the work of art when you break it down. Things like that can inspire people in many ways and can have meaning to you beyond the artists original intent that an instructor can never judge fairly.

well, i got the essay all done up. i just need to know of a couple bands influenced by the doors music for my conclusion

I hated trying to dissect meaning from songs or other creative works in school. It takes away from the enjoyment of the work of art when you break it down. Things like that can inspire people in many ways and can have meaning to you beyond the artists original intent that an instructor can never judge fairly.

exactly...yesterday we had a discussion in english class on Gertrude Stein, which for those who don't know who she is, she is a Jewish lesbian who used to live in London in the 1910s. Anyway you can check out her work at http://www.bartleby.com/140/1.html. But it's freaking impossible to understand what in the bloody heck she is talking about.

well, i got the essay all done up. i just need to know of a couple bands influenced by the doors music for my conclusion

First one that comes to mind is Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder acts like he's trying to be Jim Morrison most of the time.