Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Starting youth hockey again next week.

The girls are absolutely stoked. I am, too. I love watching them play. They never got this amped about basketball or volleyball.

I love to play, but I REALLY love to watch my girls play.

They're starting the same fall hockey clinic that our youngest started with last fall. Every Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon. I didn't realize how awesome it is to walk out of a 22ºF rink into 80ºF air in shorts and flip flops. Definitely going to enjoy that while it lasts.

Younger daughter ('03) is playing PeeWee this year. Should be interesting as the boys are just starting to grow and she hasn't quite started her own growth spurt (she's 4'-10" and 85#).

A bunch of the '00's moved up to U19, so we're left with low numbers on the U14 team. My oldest daughter ('01) and the remaining girls may combine with a neighboring town to fill a roster. Younger daughter will probably play goalie for them.

There's an invitational U14 tourney in Dickinson, ND in October. One team each from Montana, ND, SD, and Wyoming. Our oldest REALLY wants to play, but it's 12h away. I'd push it, but I'll be in another town for the state association scheduling meeting, so that leaves it to my wifey to figure logistics, and she's not as gung-ho as the other 3 of us.

• Like 2

^^^ Are these co-ed teams or girls only(my daughter travels with both)?

They're working out travel plans for the U12 Girls team as I type. Going to the Aspen Fall Face Off and then who knows.

Awesome!!

^^^ Are these co-ed teams or girls only(my daughter travels with both)?

They're working out travel plans for the U12 Girls team as I type. Going to the Aspen Fall Face Off and then who knows.

U14 in MT is girls only. There are only 3 other programs in the state, so travel opportunities are limited.

Younger daughter plays Peewees with the boys and one other girl--they travel a lot!

That's awesome that they have travel opportunities for the U12 girls where you are.

Edited by MThockeydad

I wish I could say that we had awesome travel opportunities for women's hockey here, but it is really a work in progress. They tried to get U12, U14, U16 and a U19 team, I believe.....but ended up with a U12 and U19. (there is a GREAT adult women's team as well)

Most girls just end up playing on boys(co-ed) teams. We have a U12 girls team that competes in a U10 boys(co-ed) House League.

I think female hockey is gaining steam here, but I hear from the powers that be, it's counted "One girl at a time".... Tough balance/decision, competition level playing with boys vs the benefits of playing with all girls.

I wish I could say that we had awesome travel opportunities for women's hockey here, but it is really a work in progress. They tried to get U12, U14, U16 and a U19 team, I believe.....but ended up with a U12 and U19. (there is a GREAT adult women's team as well)

Most girls just end up playing on boys(co-ed) teams. We have a U12 girls team that competes in a U10 boys(co-ed) House League.

I think female hockey is gaining steam here, but I hear from the powers that be, it's counted "One girl at a time".... Tough balance/decision, competition level playing with boys vs the benefits of playing with all girls.

I have one of each. Youngest LOVES playing with the boys (and she's huge into Star Wars and LEGOs). Oldest LOVES playing with the girls and couldn't fathom playing on a boys team. As a parent, I like that they each have an option that fits them.

Drives my wife nuts that there aren't more playing opportunities for the U14's, but she hasn't exactly embraced ADM. The girls LOVE being on the ice and don't judge their season by how many games they play in (or win).

I hate to admit that "one girl at a time" is correct...but I tend to agree. It's hard to recruit a never-ever 10-12 year-old girl and hope she'll feel comfortable stepping onto the ice with girls who have been skating 3-5 years already.

It's a bit too late for our girls, but we just have to recruit more girls into the Termite/Mite groups to have a bigger pool in 5-10 years.

Our girls only started a year ago, but they REALLY wanted to play and dived in headfirst. They have really loved their hockey experience, and we've seen a lot less drama from hockey parents than from basketball and volleyball. I think those sports are limited by how few players can start, and a lot of good kids end up riding the bench. Hockey is physical enough that line changes are a MUST and 14-16 kids can all have success on a team. It's just a matter of convincing those other parents that their daughters can find fun and success in what they see as a boys' sport.

We have similarly great women's programs and teams around here, and they take an active interest in supporting the girls groups. They secured ice time for Sept-Oct and are starting 1-2 months before the coed teams. :)

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 1

My favorite non-hockey sport/downtime, other than biking, is swimming, and I usually swim 500 - 1000 yards a couple times a week, especially in the summer. I am no speed demon (it's all about the endurance), but I finally set myself a new personal best today and achieved my goal of swimming 500 yards of breaststroke in under 14 minutes - freight-trained myself through a cool 13:55. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Took my son camping for the first time this weekend and he had a blast. He jumped right in to gathering firewood, digging the latrine and "helping" me start the fire. I'm so blessed to have a 6 year old that loves the same things I do (at least for now anyway). We went with one of my buddies and his son. They are the same age and get along great. I've known Dave since kindergarten, and now our kids are friends. Makes me feel old, but not necessarily in a bad way.

• Like 3

Took my son camping for the first time this weekend and he had a blast. He jumped right in to gathering firewood, digging the latrine and "helping" me start the fire. I'm so blessed to have a 6 year old that loves the same things I do (at least for now anyway). We went with one of my buddies and his son. They are the same age and get along great. I've known Dave since kindergarten, and now our kids are friends. Makes me feel old, but not necessarily in a bad way.

My dad started taking me and my brothers camping around 5/6 years old too, and it turned out to be one of our most lasting traditions. I still go camping with my dad every year. You may yet turn out to have a nature-loving kid who looks forward to each trip to the woods. ;)

• Like 2

Despite pretty much being a through-and-through city boy, I love camping. Have been on some great large-group family trips over the course of my childhood and young adult life, and then just never had the chance or the inclination for a while.

Then last summer before my first was born, the wife and I took a trip just the two of us and had a great time. Every summer since, we keep saying we just can't wait till the kids are old enough to go and really enjoy it. Of course, having just popped out number 2, we've got some time to kill before then.

• Like 1

While I was packing up the older gentleman sitting next to me informed me that before tonight he hadn't skated in 20 years. Looked real happy to be out on the ice again.

Two of my local rinks allow veterans/service members to skate for free and give the rest of their family a discount. I'm in lessons with them or I'd feel kind of bad coming as often as I do. It really helps especially with me skating for short periods right now. I hate to pay $8 for the 30 minutes or so I last.

Edited by CathyGo
  • Like 1

I signed up for a local summer games tournament. They were supposed to draw for teams. They drew two teams early and we hit the ice, but not enough people showed up for full benches for the later teams. So, instead of 3 games, I got in on 5 games for my $40.

My daughters started their fall hockey clinics on Wednesday and played again yesterday afternoon. My youngest started there last season, and my oldest started last November. I was so proud seeing how much they have learned in a single year. It gives me a lot of joy to see how much fun, athleticism, focus, toughness, and maturity they've gotten from this sport.

I have 43 adults interested in the rookie adult program I'm starting this winter. Even if only half of them actually commit, it's going to be a great group.

Life is good.

• Like 3

Just started my EMT-Basic class on Sunday, and feeling really good about it so far, and pretty proud of myself for how far I've come since I got sick 5 years ago.

• Like 2

jumped up to a B league this season from my previous hangin around in D leagues. I was worried it would be a lot more physical, but my first two games have netted 0 penalties on either side. I hope this is something I could get used to, good clean hockey =)

• Like 3

Usually leagues tend to get less physical the higher you go up the skill ladder. Guys know how to play subtle contact and can stop and skate with their head up.

there wasn't even any chirping back and forth either. It was great. Guys just playing hockey no huge delays.

My son, who just turned 5 in July, starts beginner hockey this Sunday. Not sure who is more excited...him or me. (yes I do...me)

I was selected as one of the coaches starting mid September

He gets 3 hours of ice each week.....which means....... I get 3 more hours of ice a week!

• Like 4

My son, who just turned 5 in July, starts beginner hockey this Sunday. Not sure who is more excited...him or me. (yes I do...me)

He gets 3 hours of ice each week.....which means....... I get 3 more hours of ice a week!

There are few everyday things I get more enjoyment from, than watching my kids play hockey....and skating with them. Equal to, or even better than, going out on the lake in the boat....and probably as expensive... :laugh:

• Like 2

Extra ice time is totally one of the great perks of coaching kids. Especially with the little ones when you have to demonstrate every little thing. And as I'm sure you know, the kindergarten set are like ducklings and will follow your every move exactly, so no corner-cutting. :wink:

• Like 2