Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Why do you think I've been losing weight for :ph34r:

congrats Jukka, unfortunately its almost time for you to gain the SJ 10 back though.

at least its not winterfest and you wont have to eat at Tonys, the good thing about new York is the food is so expensive you wont be able to overeat without getting a small loan.

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe I won't drink every day before the skate this time. Damn it was rough at WF.

at least its not winterfest and you wont have to eat at Tonys, the good thing about new York is the food is so expensive you wont be able to overeat without getting a small loan.

Sometimes a tie feels like a loss, but after netting the first goal, we found ourselves down 1-4 going into the 3rd. Said lets get them back one at a time. Finished regulation tied 4-4 and though we really had more than our fair share of opportunity in OT, couldn't net one. It was a fun game(really evenly matched teams), some games are more fun than others and tonight was solid.

Twice had bouncing puck in front of an open net that I couldn't get a blade on....ugh! If I could get my hands to do what my head says, I'd actually be a hockey player. Fun night, the beer was cold after the game!

• Like 1

Excited...

Summer league baseball starts tonight for my son.

There is no "6 year old" league due to low numbers so he will be playing with 7 and 8 year olds which is kind of scary..... for me, not him! :laugh:

• Like 3

Finally! Today I get to go home. So after 30 hours of travel the first thing I'll be doing when I get home is hitting the ice for a league game. Hopefully I don't pass out on the ice.

Up and down relationship with the nearby rink where I play adult hockey. We have a great hockey community, get along well with the figure skaters and Junior team, and are big partners with the youth hockey association. (I'm actually on the board at the other rink, but both are important. Kids and I play at both rinks).

The local Parks board wanted to cut the season back from 10.5-11 months to 6 with an allowable extension of only +2 months to make it 8. Without 11 month ice, the figure skating association and Junior team would go away, and everyone else's rates would skyrocket.

There was a tense city council meeting last night attended by a lot of decision-makers from our various groups.

One of our 12 year-old 14U players stole the show, though, when she approached the mic and rationally, eloquently, and emphatically supported the rink and its programs. Barely a dry eye in the house.

This young lady only started Fall of '13 with my daughter, and was on the 14u state championship team with her.

It's pretty awesome to see our girls becoming good hockey players.

It's even more rewarding to see their passion for hockey leading them to confront adults about issues that concern them, and to see them becoming great people.

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 7

^^^^ AWESOME! I'll cross my fingers that the decision makers, make the right decision and start keeping the ice open year round.

• Like 1

Kid.s speaking at city council are impactful but a sound plan to pay for the extension or proof that it is revenue neutral would be best.

Love da kids playing hockey but da parents should pay not the community at large. Realize money tight for some and in those cases the broader hockey community should chip in not the already over-burdened tax payers.

Hopefully someone in your group presented a financial plan or even this hockey nut would have rejected the 11 mo plan.

Hard work in da barn makes for great kids as much as da hockey does.

• Like 1

Completely agree, MN.

Working with the figure skaters to put together a better plan.

They need a longer season, and are willing to pay more $$/hour for it.

City's projection was to increase everyone's rates to compensate for the season extension....which could have set us at each others' throats, but cooler heads saw through it.

Prior years had an average $60k shortfall--but visitors to the rink drive $2M+ in economic activity (mostly hotel/motel/restaurant/bar, some shopping and entertainment--based on State of MT tourism stats, not made up by us!)

This past season saw major organizational changes, ran in the black, but the Parks board refused to run with the same numbers.

The other plan was presented by the figure skaters, but dismissed by City Parks. Same net revenue as the city's plan.

It needs to be investigated, and if acceptable, endorsed by the other groups and put forward again.

I rebuilt the city pond hockey goals this summer. The old ones were more than a bit haggard. (Pics in the DIY Gear Repair/Restore thread)

...but after finishing them, I said to myself, "Self, you need a backyard hockey goal...and you should probably do a backyard rink this winter."

So I dug in my steel scrap pile and built the uprights/crossbar out of 2" SCH40 steel pipe (2 3/8" OD and almost 1/4" wall like the NHL goals--HEAVY!) and bent up the lower frame and top shelf. I made the lower frame only 28" deep instead of 40" deep--so it takes up less space in the yard.

• Like 5

Had to make some major lifestyle changes and I'm starting to feel better. Still not quite back to where I want to be but it's still an improvement.

• Like 5

Oldest daughter (01) texted me this morning, "Dad, I decided I want to play hockey again."

I about did a backflip.

She injured her shoulder midway through the 13-14 season, wrecked it in volleyball, spent that summer getting her rehabbed, wrecked it in volleyball again, took last season off from both hockey and club volleyball..chiropractor determined that she has bad posture (not pulling her shoulders back, muscles atrophied...leaving her shoulder in bad alignment when serving), so after a few adjustments and some posture fixes, she's feeling about 98% again.

"I miss hockey and I miss my hockey friends".

I love what hockey has done for my girls--athletically, mentally, physically, emotionally. All of it.

Now I need to post a corresponding post in the Venting Spot about my wife. :(

• Like 4

Oldest daughter (01) texted me this morning, "Dad, I decided I want to play hockey again."I about did a backflip.She injured her shoulder midway through the 13-14 season, wrecked it in volleyball, spent that summer getting her rehabbed, wrecked it in volleyball again, took last season off from both hockey and club volleyball..chiropractor determined that she has bad posture (not pulling her shoulders back, muscles atrophied...leaving her shoulder in bad alignment when serving), so after a few adjustments and some posture fixes, she's feeling about 98% again."I miss hockey and I miss my hockey friends".I love what hockey has done for my girls--athletically, mentally, physically, emotionally. All of it.Now I need to post a corresponding post in the Venting Spot about my wife. :(

Good counterpoint to your vent Bruh.....

• Like 2