Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

While down at the pool today, I ran into one of the kids I coached for a couple of years. I hadn't seen him in about a year and a half, but he recognized me immediately, swam over, and we talked for a good half-hour. He introduced me proudly to the friend he was with as his former hockey coach.

Makes me feel like I have definitely done something very, very right in my life. :smile:

• Like 8

Awesome. Yes, you have. Even if the kid has great parents, they still get tired of each other from time to time. You were an additional positive adult influence in his life. :)

• Like 1

Posting from club poolside in Vegas. Long winter spent in a rink last year and coming up soon. Some 36 degree Celcius (I know, convert it!) sun is a bit different from Canada! It's a win!

• Like 2

Making travel arrangements for first few hockey tournaments of the season!!! Though still a few months out, it's close enough that I'm booking rooms and plugging in practice times(3 weeks out), YEAH!!!!

• Like 2

Just got a check in the mail from the insurance company.

"Based on the facts of the loss and our confirmation of the other party having valid insurance, we are refunding you 100% of your deductible."

I can't believe they finally managed to collect on the guy w/ Mexican insurance who hit my car. It took them quite a while, but I honestly never expected to see a dime back. Awesome!

When you miss out on a pair of pro stock mitts you found on ebay only to find another pair 4 days later at a big box hockey retailer for $50 cheaper.

• Like 1

The Mrs got the first family hole in one on a completely legit shot.

Good for her!!! Been playing for over 30 years and don't have one.

Started doing cross country, our team time trial race was like 2 weeks ago, I ran an 18:52, this week we had our conference preview and ran a 17:55. Also the course I ran on today was a very challenging course with a huge hill that we have to run up twice.

Edited by Zjack38

Found out that this rotten bully of a teacher that I had in 5th grade was fired this year. Finally.

(no, this isn't just petty, he was actually very not a good guy, and I am glad he will not be teaching anymore.)

• Like 2

Drop-in tomorrow night. Hitting the ice with my younger daughter for the first time in 4 months. Woot!!

Adult drop-in starts next Tues, and the girls hit the ice on Weds.

tl;dr: Good hockey things happening, happy times to report on hockey website.

• Like 2

New car....after 9 years driving my last new car. Car payment is like a 4th of my mortgage payment though ha!

Nothing more awesome than a new car! What did you get? DETAILS!

Nothing more awesome than a new car! What did you get? DETAILS!

2016 pilot EX-L

I have 3 kids...and already have a 2010 Minivan so this is what my wife allowed me(ha!) to get since it has 3 rows

2016 pilot EX-L

I have 3 kids...and already have a 2010 Minivan so this is what my wife allowed me(ha!) to get since it has 3 rows

Ah, makes sense with kids :)

We have a Volvo XC90 that I think would be great for kids with the 3 rows, we don't have any kids though. Great for driving the goalie bag to and from the rink though ;)

We'ew back! Last night skated with the kids[girl with the boys](looked better than I expected), tonight with the girls(few girls dumped, playing with boys only, disappointing). All said, glad to be back.

Flip side, if we could get all our girls on a team, we could do some serious damage. Never traveled to a tourney we didn't maker Championship. Can't get girls to commit to girl teams, so we travel with 1/2 the talent we could and still do well. Frustrating, but I understand it's a financial commitment.

That said, my daughter has missed tournaments due to her first commitment, boys team....???

• Like 1

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

As girls coaches, we're pretty flexible, trying to grow girls hockey.

If I could get the 5 squirts and 2 peewees (one is my kid) to every girls game, they would be unstoppable.

...those girls who do play with girls and with boys are learning two games, and really developing a wide array of hockey skills.

Boys team coaches are borderline inflexible to rigid. I get it--they have to be that way because boys and their parents need pretty firm guidelines. You. Here. Now.

They are also spoiled in that they typically get single-sport kids. Johnny plays hockey for 5 months out of the year, coach tells him to be somewhere, he shows up.

Not only do we compete with that, but all the myriad other activities girls are simultaneously into.

Last year, we had to compete with and schedule around squirts schedule, peewees schedule, bantam schedule, U19 schedule, swimming, ballet, tap, freestyle skiing, violin, church, indoor soccer, ski racing, basketball, volleyball, and driver's training. You can't tell them to do anything, it's a delicate negotiation.

We're raising well-rounded and independent-minded young ladies (sweet spot), but FOOK, it's like herding cats in the here and now (vent). In the big picture, we're doing it right.

• Like 1