Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I managed a successful 14U girls jamboree this weekend. We had six teams, and everyone had a blast. Zero parent, player, ref, or coach issues.

Our 14U girls team beat their rivals Missoula in pool play. First time this season after 5 other pairings--resulting in 4 close losses and one tie. Missoula won the big trophy. Awesome fast, fun, intense game.

3 of our visiting teams are very new; they got to play each other and had a lot of fun.

It was a great time, but also a relief to now have it completed.

Went out for beers with my fellow managers on Saturday night and round-tabled ideas to keep building girls hockey in Montana.

• Like 2

Got notice Friday that I'm officially off probation with the ambulance service, no caveats, no sweat. :biggrin: Nothing weird happened on shift today, and dispatch even sent us back about an hour early, which gave me a chance to practice driving the ambulance around for about 45 minutes. Feeling much better about the prospect of having to drive sometime. (probationary EMTs can't drive at my company, but they also don't train you on driving the trucks, so you have to practice when you can.)

• Like 2

I'm stoked to have moved up and start my first session of B division hockey last night. (Our adult association has A, B+, B, and C...so I'm still a LOOONNNGG way from A)

I will NEVER make the NHL--or probably A for that matter--but this is a great challenge. :)

• Like 2

Great 14U girls games this weekend. Awesome competition, with no games won or lost by more than two points.

One new team to the league is comprised of all female Squirt/Peewee/Bantam players, and this was the first weekend all their girls were at home and available to play.

Our girls went 2-1-1, with an 0-1 loss and a 1-1 win with the above team. Their goalie was incredible. She was stopping a lot of shots taken on quick passes and the only one that went in was a shot from point where my daughter was screening her and had a tiny deflection into the net.

They had 2-1 and 4-2 wins over the other team at the festival.

I finally got to see my '03 on the ice for the first time since November as her Peewee schedule has conflicted with our 14U schedule. She's gotten strong. Really smart D player. Its fun to watch her skate and play. I take no credit for her skills, but I feed her a lot.

My '01 continues to improve after missing last season. We put her back at D in December and she HATED it. Now she LOVES it. Great backchecking speed and confidence, and she's the team's unofficial "big sister".

After losing a teammate for the season due to her concussion, I was more happy than anything to see my girls take some hard falls and keep their heads off the ice.

And even more exciting, we got a dog last night. My wife and I have had Labs for 19 continuous years and lost our oldest and last dog at almost age 16 in April. We made it 8 months dogless and the girls begged us for a pup. We rescued a gorgeous, sweet 8.5 year-old Lab mix.

• Like 6

^^^. Nice on the hockey & the new pup!

My little one was able to get out on the ice with Olympian Lyndsey Fry for 1.5 hours tonight. Great session/clinic and Lyndsey and her parents are a nice as it gets.

image_zpsjlyht3vu.jpeg

• Like 4

^^^. Nice on the hockey & the new pup!

My little one was able to get out on the ice with Olympian Lyndsey Fry for 1.5 hours tonight. Great session/clinic and Lyndsey and her parents are a nice as it gets.

image_zpsjlyht3vu.jpeg

She was at our rink when we were away on vacation between Christmas and New Year's.

The reports I heard from girls and parents were overwhelmingly excellent. They said she not only pushed and inspired the girls on the ice, but she also gave them some incredible advice and guidance about hockey and life while at the off-ice session. I hope to get my girls to one of her camps/clinics in the near future.

Kudos to her. Glad your LO got to hang with her.

• Like 1

You'll have to make a point of getting the girls on the ice with her, MTHockeydad. Yesterday was even better, broke out the 14's from the 19's(19's going today, just 14's yesterday). She is so personable and gave my daughter a big, what appeared to be genuine hug, after as we were leaving the arena. Stuff like that goes a long way, my daughter thinks Lyndsey is the greatest thing ever. Lyndsey is a great ambassador for women's hockey, I'm a big fan and I don't think we'll ever miss something she does here.

• Like 2

My teammates celebrated my "goalie birthday" (as of tomorrow, I've been playing goal for one year) with much applause and a copy of "Red Army". I couldn't ask for a nicer bunch to skate with.

• Like 4

Any day you get to play hockey, win or lose, is better than a day you don't get to play hockey. Now I'm going to sit in my chair, rest my old legs and hydrate.

• Like 2

After several weeks of 40-50 degree weather that completely melted my rink, It's been cold (-10 last couple of days) enough to refreeze. I put three coats of water this afternoon and tonight. Smooth as glass. Supposed to be 30 degrees, and my son and I have the next two days off. Looking forward to getting out there and messing around for a few hours.

• Like 1

14U Montana state girls hockey tournament.

What an incredible weekend capping off an awesome season.

The past several years we've had 3 teams only playing a state tourney. Our team and a nearby town joined forces to win the championship last season. The teams had relatively few games to play during the year.

This season, we had four more associations join our new 14U league, and along with two from the prior season, we had 6 teams and a ton of league games. The girls played their hearts out all season and we had some very very fast, intense, physical yet clean games. A lot of people at the rinks watched the girls games and commented that they had no idea that girls hockey could be so intense. The games were often close and there were fewer than two penalties most games and zero penalties most games. This is the way hockey should be played.

I am grateful for the opportunity to serve these kids. Montana hockey has hard-working young girls with great sportsmanship. Managers who bend over backwards to work together and put together great game weekends for our players. The girls are well coached and have parents who are supportive and respectful. There are a lot of boys and their parents who could learn a thing or two from them.

Missoula topped Flathead 3-1 yesterday for the championship. The two teams had a great rivalry all season--between league and tournament games, Missoula won 4, Flathead won 2, and they tied 1.

Congratulations to the Missoula Lady Bruins for a hard-fought title.

Edited to add pics:

I LOVED having both my girls play together. After my '03s finishes her time with the boys at Peewee state in two weeks, and they will move up to 19U together next season.

14U_zpsgd6w9kfm.jpg

Baker%20Girls_zpssznyarur.jpg

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 1

I'm humbled. Got recognized by the Montana association:

14U State Championship 3-1 Missoula Bruins over the Flathead Fusion. What a great weekend of hockey. The future of girls hockey in Montana is bright thanks to <"mthockeydad"> 14U MAHA commissioner!

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 2

Today's the birthday of one of my work-kids- I don't see her regularly now she's in school, but it's break and she came in today with her brother and her friend and friend's little sister. Her mom told me that she had asked kiddo what she wanted to do, like what kind of fun thing for her birthday, and she thought for a moment and asked: "Today's Friday, right?" "Yes, it is." "Friday is Erik's day at the gym! We HAVE to go to the gym and see Erik!"

That's just all kinds of cute. :biggrin:

• Like 3

Last couple weekends, getting into the transition.  We really don't play with her soccer teams during hockey season(sneak in an indoor game here and there, probably 3 this year), but had a free weekend and friends in the town hosting, so jumped on the tournament.  Not a bad showing in the soccer, first time on the grass since October.  Top bracket, 1 goal allowed in 4 games, Champions!  

The hockey banner was meh, we ended up in a tourney we were far too good for.  Never played in it before, just how that works I guess, but we won't be invited back.

image_zps43gzmyxn.jpeg

image_zpstfofbi2q.jpeg

• Like 3

Sang my very first (in all my choral life, since I was still a treble voice) solo this morning!  I was so nervous but everyone loved it - the minister and many congregants came up to me after the service, as well as members of the choir (and folks who are far more experienced and trained singers).  My choir director described it as "meaningful and moving", words I know she does not use lightly, so I am very proud of myself.  Not sure if I want to do another one soon, but now I know that I could!  :biggrin:

• Like 4

On 2/21/2016 at 0:52 PM, badger_14 said:

Sang my very first (in all my choral life, since I was still a treble voice) solo this morning!  I was so nervous but everyone loved it - the minister and many congregants came up to me after the service, as well as members of the choir (and folks who are far more experienced and trained singers).  My choir director described it as "meaningful and moving", words I know she does not use lightly, so I am very proud of myself.  Not sure if I want to do another one soon, but now I know that I could!  :biggrin:

What did you sing? 

• Like 1