Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

9 hours ago, EJB said:

That's funny.  Need to do a poll, just to see.  I assumed I was quick with every week/10 days.  Know more than enough that go a month or the season.

I do too. That doesn't make it any less gross ;)

10 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I do too. That doesn't make it any less gross ;)

Haha.

my under gear gets washed every 3-4 uses if it gets dried right away after wearing.  Protective gear every 1.5-2 months.

i know people who never wash either.  THAT is gross!!

9 minutes ago, MThockeydad said:

Haha.

my under gear gets washed every 3-4 uses if it gets dried right away after wearing.  Protective gear every 1.5-2 months.

I put all my under gear and jersey and socks into a laundry bag so when I get home I can just toss it all in the wash, bag included. 

21 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm not sure I'd want to leave my gear in the locker room. I can't imagine it'd be dry before the next game. Plus how would you wash your under-stuff?

During the tournament a few weeks ago, I brought two sets of underclothes, one for each day.  I was so grateful not to have to haul my wet gear home with me overnight - it dried just as well in the locker-room as it would have at home, and I didn't have to deal with my room smelling like hockey. 

I joined two leagues for the fall season.  I played my first game in a new league last night.  I started playing in February and I caught the hockey bug big time!

• Like 6

On 9/6/2016 at 9:34 AM, MThockeydad said:

Haha.

I have enough of the undergarments (shirts, pants, socks)  to wash after each skate.

• Like 4

Went to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band last night - absolutely spectacular show, Bruce is a great storyteller and the band plays together like they could do it blind.  (In a good way!)  

Well worth it.

• Like 1

Had an issue with some local politics over the years.  Was on the verge of quitting the local board.  Things were in a spiral and I was spending all my time butting heads and sending nasty emails.

Decided to put my head down and outplan, outwork, out-network, and build a better team of planners and coaches.

It's happening.  Got great buy-in from our local coaching pool, both local associations, and just met with the team managers last night.

Going to be an awesome season for our kids.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MThockeydad said:

Had an issue with some local politics over the years.  Was on the verge of quitting the local board.  Things were in a spiral and I was spending all my time butting heads and sending nasty emails.

Decided to put my head down and outplan, outwork, out-network, and build a better team of planners and coaches.

It's happening.  Got great buy-in from our local coaching pool, both local associations, and just met with the team managers last night.

Going to be an awesome season for our kids.

GREAT ATTITUDE, great news!

• Like 2

The Skatin' Utes get a 4-1 win to start the 2016-17 season & the Little One had her new twig arrive today!  Good day at our place!

image_zpscttcsjja.jpeg

image_zpsshlv0pe5.jpeg

• Like 2

Had all my gear on for the first time since a broken ankle 4 months ago. Took warm-ups with my team, then sat on the bench for the game. We ended up winning 6-0. It was just amazing being out there again after such a long time being off. 

Probably the first D5 beer league team to have a backup goalie on the bench...LOL. 

• Like 4

Our Mite B team won their first game last Saturday (1-1 on the season)

And my son scored his first goal as a "travel player".  This Saturday we have the 7 AM game (yuck)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zylos45 said:

Our Mite B team won their first game last Saturday (1-1 on the season)

And my son scored his first goal as a "travel player".  This Saturday we have the 7 AM game (yuck)

Get use to those early morning games!  Worst thing is getting there an hour early for a dryland warm-up....

Edited by EJB

Most of my girls' coaches have been smart enough to tell the kids to get to the rink 20min before the game and dress quickly. 
Skip the dryland for one game, 40min of sleep is more important to their performance!

Hardest 6am I ever had was after staying up way too late in the locker room drinking beer with Tiger Williams and Murray Craven after a benefit tourney my first year playing.  I think I had 4 hours of sleep...but its something I can't actually complain about and I'd do again in a heartbeat!

• Like 2

Been away from hockey since Late 2013 because I was busy with college club baseball. Started fall season in Early August and lost the first game 14-12, giving up 13 of those. I've won the next 6 with a +/- of 14(highest +/- in the league). The group of guys I'm playing with are all "9-5ers", mostly doctors and I'm the "blue-collar" guy in the group teaching Special Education. I'm probably gonna skate out next season to entice my good friend to get back into it as well, but it's been so good getting back into the game I was put on this earth to play. 

• Like 4

Worst player on the team takes 2+minute shifts, complains about everyone else taking long shifts. Watches the clock like a hawk and started the third period because he "only had 1:45 to finish the second". Chopped in the back of the leg and butt ended in front of the ref with no call. Getting really sick of the down side of hockey again. On the plus side, I only got a one game suspension for my reaction. It probably should have been closer to a month. 

• Like 1

At the beginning of 2016 I got back into playing hockey (inline) after not having played competetively since I was 13. I turned 30 on Monday. I struggled a lot at first. Could barely skate, couldn't even make a decent wrist shot the first season. No goals for two seasons.

Today marked the end of our third season as a team. Our roster got decimated. We lost our captain (moved), and best offensive player (son was old enough to play and couldn't afford both), and our second best player got in a car accident after our first game and missed the entire season. Leaving us with 4 skaters a game and no bench.

On the plus side the four of us got to know each other's play style very well. We lost every game but only got blown out twice. Every other team had at least six skaters. 

Five games into an eight game season, got my first two goal game. One scrummy crease rebound goal and a great wrist shot.

Tonight I had my second two goal game. First one was a toe drag wrapped between the goalies skate and the post. But the second one was the most goddamn beautiful bar down backhander I've seen outside the NHL. 

I swear I don't like bragging but holy shit it feels good to finally be getting an iota of offensive finesse back. We lost 4-2, but we have three new guys lined up for next season.

• Like 3

Took the day off work yesterday to go with a friend to The Big E (state fair for all of New England, essentially) and had a great time.  Livestock, horses, petting zoo, we even got to ride an elephant!  Reminds me I need to spend some more time around animals.

• Like 1

I played a really good complete game tonight.  I had 1 goal 1 assist, but I made a few other plays that led to a few other goals.

I've come a long way since I began this journey in February, and I still have a long ways to go, but I am really enjoying playing!

• Like 3

Started the season with a win today.  Bunch of new guys on the team, had a lot of turnover from Summer.  Think we're going to be better.

• Like 1

After a few seasons, finally making enough of the transition from F to D so that I know what to do instead of thinking about what to do.

• Like 1

This weekend is IIHF Girls Hockey Weekend; our turnout has been low due to fall soccer, so our 14U team invited any available 19U girls as well as coaches and parents who play for a scrimmage.  We often do a parents vs kids scrimmage at the end of the season, but that scrimmage is filled with half never-ever parents.  This time all but one adult was B division or higher.

We ended up with 13 girls and 7 adults, and we mixed up even teams of 10 and set up lines.

It was super fun to coach two of our newer players as linemates, and to have my daughter back me up at D.  We had two hours of ice and stretched it out over four 20-min periods.  Three other parents also got to skate on the same team as their daughters.  Faster game than the girls are used to, but they also got set up with some awesome passes that they're not used to.  A couple of our typically "head down and skate with the puck" saw the power of well-executed passing.  While we as coaches opened doors for the girls last season, the girls followed us over the boards and saw a better example of taking faster shifts.

My W linemate for two periods was a girl last year who would take a breakout pass and dump it up the ice.  She watched dumbfounded as I iced it twice.  Haha.  I told her it was ok to remind me that I told her not to do that!!

My other W linemate only started in January and skated all summer.  Honestly, her skating needs more time, but having never played a game at this level, her positioning was amazing.  She held the half wall inside their point while in our zone, had some great puck battles in the neutral zone, and did a great job of passing and shooting in their zone.

I'm so excited to work more with them this season!!

My 03 is a beautiful skater.  She had an awesome Peewee coach last year and learned a ton at the District and Multidistrict development camps this summer.  I am in awe watching her.  She's an introverted wallflower at school, but is a confident force on the ice.  She's playing with both the 14U and 19U teams this season, and I think she made an impression with her new 19U teammates.  I can take no credit for her ability; I just feed her.

Big sis will never catch her..but she's taking her 2nd ref seminar today and is looking forward to shadowing our district female ref in chief this winter.

My best days of hockey are spent with my kids.

• Like 2