Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

the Fall/Winter season starts tonight (ugh our game starts at 10:30)   This is the first Fall/Winter season for me with the team I played spring and summer with. (replied to an ad on a bulletin board for the local newspaper's website.   This November will mark the one year anniversary of buying all new gear and getting back on the ice.  

The back story: played in middle school, into early high school. Broke my femur as a sophomore in 1986, and didn't really play again until last year. (had a short 2 game season in '93 then was ban from that rink after hanging out with the wrong crowd)

and here was my first post here that got like NO feedback: 

Geez look at me down there, what a johnny tryhard i sound like

@DarkStar50 did point me in the right direction and @michaelRich heard me talking at work about playing more, and got me out to an open hockey session i would have never known about

thanks to the MSH gang for all the help and support over this last year. 

Edited by GreatestAmericanBeardo
  • Like 5

Montana 14U girls team has its first team practice on Saturday, then off to Dickinson, ND next weekend for the District jamboree vs. teams from North Dakota and South Dakota.

Lots of work putting this team together, I'm excited to see them play and know they'll have a blast.  Many of these girls have played only coed hockey and don't realize what high level female hockey looks like.

Fall session of adult league started this week; my team had a bye and we play our first game on Monday.   Our captain drafted a lot of strong D...so I'd better up my game out front and try to actually put the puck in the net!!!  haha

• Like 2

On 10/14/2016 at 4:15 PM, MThockeydad said:

Fall session of adult league started this week; my team had a bye and we play our first game on Monday.   Our captain drafted a lot of strong D...so I'd better up my game out front and try to actually put the puck in the net!!!  haha

Turns out our captain saw me at dropin playing D and thought I was one of his strong D picks.  Oh shit!!! 

I did so-so.  I backcheck very well, but suck on the blue line.  I need to develop a lot better net-front presence.   We lost 6-7.  I was a -2 on the evening (+2, -4), and two of their goals were rebounds that I didn't control.

At least our goalie still talked to me in the locker room afterward!

It was actually a super fun game.  The game changed lead 5 times, and most of the early game skaters stayed after to watch our game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MThockeydad said:

Turns out our captain saw me at dropin playing D and thought I was one of his strong D picks.  Oh shit!!! 

I did so-so.  I backcheck very well, but suck on the blue line.  I need to develop a lot better net-front presence.   We lost 6-7.  I was a -2 on the evening (+2, -4), and two of their goals were rebounds that I didn't control.

At least our goalie still talked to me in the locker room afterward!

It was actually a super fun game.  The game changed lead 5 times, and most of the early game skaters stayed after to watch our game.

I love playing D except for that whole "hold the blue line" stuff.  

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Had a long-awaited surgery yesterday.  So grateful to have a whole house of friends to stay with and help me out.

Heal quickly and get back on the ice soon!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MThockeydad said:

Heal quickly and get back on the ice soon!!

Thanks!  The surgeon said most likely six weeks.  My teammates said to enjoy the rest and I told them not to find a new, better goalie in my absence:)

Been getting some ice time recently, and really enjoying playing again after a few years hiatus.

Went to the A/B drop in last night and had good fun, more passing at this level compared to the C level that I'm used to playing at. Really need to work on my shooting, as I flubbed on a couple of chances. I did get a good shot on net, high blocker side, missed by a couple inches.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2016 at 4:15 PM, MThockeydad said:

Montana 14U girls team has its first team practice on Saturday, then off to Dickinson, ND next weekend for the District jamboree vs. teams from North Dakota and South Dakota.

Lots of work putting this team together, I'm excited to see them play and know they'll have a blast.  Many of these girls have played only coed hockey and don't realize what high level female hockey looks like.

ND Tier 1 beat our MT Tier 2 girls 11-0 (last year was 14-0).  NDAHA (Tier 2) topped our kids 8-0.  Our girls held SD to a 4-0 win--much closer game than 8-0 last year!

14650744_519423861584791_357850226629069

My kid and one other girl played in this tourney last season.  They were shell-shocked last year and really stepped up this weekend.  It was really cool to see. 

Huge eye-opener for these girls to see higher level girls hockey outside of Montana.  Geographically our state is enormous, but we have a tiny hockey community.  The rest of the team was shell-shocked (except the goalie...who was amazing)...by the 3rd game they were starting to click!
I'm looking forward to them coming back ready next season.

This was pretty much the moment I realized that my daughter has passed me in ability and I will never catch up to her.  I'm crazy proud of how hard she's pushed herself this year and how much she has learned.  She's also a kid who has always played coed hockey and never really integrated socially with girls--she did really well off ice with her team which I was equally happy to see.

My kid took a stick to the ribs her last shift of the last game.  She probably has bruised ribs.  She's in pain, but she'll heal.  I'm glad it wasn't her head.

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, MThockeydad said:

My kid took a stick to the ribs her last shift of the last game.  She probably has bruised ribs.  She's in pain, but she'll heal.  I'm glad it wasn't her head.

Saw the pediatrician yesterday.  Bruised, not fractured.  She's already starting to feel better. :D

• Like 1

vented about this guy last week:

Wore white today, D'ed up on him and poked it away 4 or 5 times and just really made him play as hard as he could.  I won some he won some. but I played WAY better against him then with him.  and put two past his tendy. 

Edited by GreatestAmericanBeardo
  • Like 1

First post-op appointment went well.  The incisions are healing nicely.  They removed the wound vac (yay!) although I still have two regular surgical drains for another week (booooo). 

• Like 1

I'm tired but satisfied.

Our association has a sand-bed outdoor rink.  I spent most nights last week until midnight getting it ready with a small team of very dedicated volunteers and we're almost ready to open for practice tonight!

• Like 3

Recuperation rolls along nicely... after an extra week, the drainage tubes are finally out (I'm free! I can shower like a normal person!) and I'm allowed to reach above my head for things.  Still no lifting over ten pounds, and nothing more strenuous than a brisk walk, but I feel so much better than even a week ago.

On top of that, I had a surprise visit from three of my work kids and their parents on Halloween - we all had no idea we lived so close, and after two weeks away I was thrilled to see them.  Looking forward to seeing them on Friday, even if I'm going to have to tell them I can't play monster or lift anybody or give any piggyback rides for another few weeks. 

• Like 3

@ a place where the beer flows like wine where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. A little place called Aspen.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, chikinpotpie said:

severing ties with facebook, instagram, and snapchat

I don't use the latter two for the most part (I only use IG to post images to Twitter and FB at the same time). My Facebook is still pretty essential though. I just removed almost everyone except close friends and immediate family, and removed all the pages I followed. I see 2-3 posts a day, maximum. I may have 30 people on there. 

Twitter is another story, but I'm in IT so it's pretty essential. Though I've pared that down a ton too. Lists help a lot with that (can see posts from companies, etc. without actually following them). 

Amazing how much you don't miss the noise.

Two years ago today I received my second liver transplant.

Very thankful my donor and his/hers family for making the difficult decision to donate. 

Going in for my third hernia surgery and hopefully my last for a long time.

Bottom is from November 2014 top is from today.

IMG_1321.JPG

• Like 5

13 hours ago, sfdz6_20_07 said:

Two years ago today I received my second liver transplant.

Very thankful my donor and his/hers family for making the difficult decision to donate. 

Going in for my third hernia surgery and hopefully my last for a long time.

Bottom is from November 2014 top is from today.

IMG_1321.JPG

Too bad the bottom one was November 2014, if it were a month earlier then you would've had a nice start on a Frankenstein's monster costume.

• Like 4

Two and a half weeks ago I developed double vision that a neuro opthamalogost said was a 3rd nerve palsy.  They say it is related to diabetes and high BP and that it would take about 3 months to go away.  On Sunday morning I woke up and the double vision was gone!!!  I am still not 100% as it seems like I get some headaches as my brain is working harder to focus and looking quickly throws things off a bit and I get disoriented but I have to think the worst is behind me and I am on the way to a super fast recovery!!!  Hope so!!

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 5