Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Being at Stadium Series event at Dodger Stadium. Say what you want about this event, but, an outdoor game in SoCal was pretty special.

Good seats?

Having no precipitation and better ice made for a better game. It looked good on TV. It was just weird seeing the grass around the skating surfaces.

I played in a benefit tournament this weekend for our youth hockey association. I
I got to play with and against Tiger Williams, Dean Kennedy, Murray Craven, and Lanny McDonald.

They might be "retired", but they're far from "tired!!" It's amazing what the 60-ish guys can do. They're so smooth and efficient on the ice and pass like lasers.

Had fun talking the beef market in the locker room with Dean. :laugh:

Working on some end-of-season Sharks game tickets for my girls's spring break.

We were "in the building." IMO, there aren't many good seats for a hockey game in a baseball or football stadium. It is the experience that we were after...an outdoor hockey game in California.

I would think it would be much better in a football stadium than a baseball stadium, don't you think? Though you're right, neither are ideal by any means.

Football stadium is better, but, neither is ideal for hockey. It is the experience of going to a game like that. I've now been to two; the original Heritage Classic in Edmonton and now Doyer Stadium.

For sure, the experience is what makes it.

A nice change from the various Parents Behaving Badly was the guy at the association meeting last night praising me and the other LTP coaches, in front of the association's president.

• Like 1

I just found out that I'm getting to play in a good part of the World Pond Hockey Championships next weekend! I thought I was going to have to pass on the invitation because I have a prior commitment with my daughter on that Friday.

• Like 2

My wife tried hockey at women's drop-in last night.

She didn't love it.
At least she tried it. Have to give her huge credit.

Now she understands how difficult it is--and how much our girls have learned in a year.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I told a kid (with absolute sincerity) that he'd done a really good job sticking with a kid about twice his size in a battle for the puck during a drill. He absolutely lit up. Best part of coaching.

• Like 2

After being unemployed since new year I got accepted to a plumber school today. If everything goes according to plan I'll graduate in November with a good chance of getting employed fast.

I'll also get to study with full union money plus additional expense compensation, which is nice!

• Like 3

After being unemployed since new year I got accepted to a plumber school today. If everything goes according to plan I'll graduate in November with a good chance of getting employed fast.

I'll also get to study with full union money plus additional expense compensation, which is nice!

Glad to hear things are looking better in the job department.

Fitted a young kid today in his first hockey helmet, he was probably no more than 3 years old. The minute I snapped the last strap, he looked at me, lit up with excitement and screamed "COOL!" Just an awesome moment to share with his family.

• Like 5

My buddy was able to recover the vast majority of the family pictures we had lost (It's a long story, the gist of which is in the vent thread). There's a gap of maybe 3 months, but luckily it's a period in which there weren't really any major events or occasions. Whew.

Edit to add: Holy crap!!! It looks like I'm going to be able to recover pretty much everything! Maybe not every last picture, but at least not any gaping holes.

We had two copies of everything (three if you count the DVD backups that we can't find anywhere - I'm convinced my wife brought them with her somewhere but she was so pissed at me over the whole situation that I dare not "accuse" her of misplacing them. Maybe some other year...) - one on an old laptop hard drive that I had put in an external USB enclosure and one on her work computer, where she would take the files of the camera. She erased the work computer's hard drive when it was replaced with another machine, and I erased the external hard drive and sold it on eBay in a lot of spare/semi-functional laptop parts, thinking that another drive that I did keep had all the pictures on it.

Well, besides our friend being able to recover a ton of stuff from her computer, I was luckily able to get the drives I sold back from the ebay buyer (refunded his money and let him keep everything else, so he was perfectly happy). I've been running Recuva on the one drive over the course of today, and it got back a whole bunch more stuff!

So many things had to go wrong for this to happen in the first place, and so many things had to go right in order to recover. I'm still processing it all.

Edited by McDugan
  • Like 4

My trip out to see my brother & SIL and adorable awesome nephews in Oregon has been rescheduled for mid-March! So excited. No, as long as the weather cooperates on both ends of the country...

• Like 2

Friday, I outworked a very, very good player along the boards and was given a shove after I moved the puck out of the defensive zone. I had considered it a compliment.

When I had last played twenty years plus back, I was always more of a defensive forward, and now my new role as defenseman is starting to actually prevent a goal or good play develop. I'm still a crappy skater, and I have lost many steps in a twenty plus year hiatus. By no means am I Barret Jackman or Al Mc Innis. But on occasion, I do win a battle along the boards, and that was my sweet spot on Friday.

• Like 1