Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

My wife entered a puck design contest that Sherwood Hockey is holding. She designed and illustrated the puck and I provided a few ideas and feedback. Well, her puck was selected as one of the top 32 designs to compete in a bracket format on Instagram. Her puck design is Toronto #3 (Raccoon) and it’s facing off against the Anaheim puck today!

If you want to vote for her, go to the Sherwood Hockey Instagram page, https://www.instagram.com/sherwoodhockey/, and click on their logo to view their stories. You can then click (on a desktop) or swipe (on your phone or tablet) to get to her matchup. When you get to her page click the UP arrow to vote for her design; that’s it. You cannot vote by leaving comments on the general bracket page – you have to go to the stories. It’s live now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, althoma1 said:

My wife entered a puck design contest that Sherwood Hockey is holding. She designed and illustrated the puck and I provided a few ideas and feedback. Well, her puck was selected as one of the top 32 designs to compete in a bracket format on Instagram. Her puck design is Toronto #3 (Raccoon) and it’s facing off against the Anaheim puck today!

If you want to vote for her, go to the Sherwood Hockey Instagram page, https://www.instagram.com/sherwoodhockey/, and click on their logo to view their stories. You can then click (on a desktop) or swipe (on your phone or tablet) to get to her matchup. When you get to her page click the UP arrow to vote for her design; that’s it. You cannot vote by leaving comments on the general bracket page – you have to go to the stories. It’s live now.

I gave her a vote.

Is the design inspired by the Toronto raccoon memorial that went viral a few years ago, or just the general "Raccoon City" thing?  Not sure people outside T.O. know about the whole trash panda thing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, boo10 said:

I gave her a vote.

Is the design inspired by the Toronto raccoon memorial that went viral a few years ago, or just the general "Raccoon City" thing?  Not sure people outside T.O. know about the whole trash panda thing.

Thank you for voting. My wife has always been very close to her brother (and I love him too), who happens to be on the spectrum, and her brother is obsessed with raccoons. He's always talking about raccoons, drawing them and gets more excited seeing raccoons at the zoo than any other animal. I suggested the Raccoon to my wife because I figured a lot of other Toronto submissions would focus more on just the Skyline/CN Tower or the Leafs and a raccoon would be something her brother would love. When my Mom saw the design, she asked if my wife designed it with a raccoon because my favourite stuffed animal as a little boy was a raccoon; that wasn't the reason at all, but it is a fact.

The skyline is incorporated in a kind of crown for the raccoon with the 6 leaves (in the same red the Jays use) across the bottom representing the nickname "The Six". So the obligatory skyline and some leaves are included, but they aren't the focal point.

I actually didn't know about the raccoon memorial until you mentioned it and I googled it. I agree that most people outside of Toronto don't know about the "Raccoon City"  and trash panda thing. I'd heard of that, but my wife, who was born and raised in Toronto, didn't realize that was a nickname until I mentioned it. We know that not everyone will instantly think of Toronto when they see the raccoon, but we do have a huge raccoon population, it's something a little different and has personal meaning as well. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Thank you for voting. My wife has always been very close to her brother (and I love him too), who happens to be on the spectrum, and her brother is obsessed with raccoons. He's always talking about raccoons, drawing them and gets more excited seeing raccoons at the zoo than any other animal. I suggested the Raccoon to my wife because I figured a lot of other Toronto submissions would focus more on just the Skyline/CN Tower or the Leafs and a raccoon would be something her brother would love. When my Mom saw the design, she asked if my wife designed it with a raccoon because my favourite stuffed animal as a little boy was a raccoon; that wasn't the reason at all, but it is a fact.

The skyline is incorporated in a kind of crown for the raccoon with the 6 leaves (in the same red the Jays use) across the bottom representing the nickname "The Six". So the obligatory skyline and some leaves are included, but they aren't the focal point.

I actually didn't know about the raccoon memorial until you mentioned it and I googled it. I agree that most people outside of Toronto don't know about the "Raccoon City"  and trash panda thing. I'd heard of that, but my wife, who was born and raised in Toronto, didn't realize that was a nickname until I mentioned it. We know that not everyone will instantly think of Toronto when they see the raccoon, but we do have a huge raccoon population, it's something a little different and has personal meaning as well. 

 

 

I genuinely like the design.  Good luck to her!

On a side note, that raccoon memorial is one of the funniest things I've seen.  Toronto is full of cool, fun people, so I don't know why people think it's a cold unfriendly place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 12:22 PM, althoma1 said:

My wife entered a puck design contest that Sherwood Hockey is holding. She designed and illustrated the puck and I provided a few ideas and feedback. Well, her puck was selected as one of the top 32 designs to compete in a bracket format on Instagram. Her puck design is Toronto #3 (Raccoon) and it’s facing off against the Anaheim puck today!

If you want to vote for her, go to the Sherwood Hockey Instagram page, https://www.instagram.com/sherwoodhockey/, and click on their logo to view their stories. You can then click (on a desktop) or swipe (on your phone or tablet) to get to her matchup. When you get to her page click the UP arrow to vote for her design; that’s it. You cannot vote by leaving comments on the general bracket page – you have to go to the stories. It’s live now.

She's made it to the second round! Voting is now live for this round from now until 12pm ET tomorrow. This time she'd need you to press the DOWN arrow to vote if you're so inclined. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 12:22 PM, althoma1 said:

My wife entered a puck design contest that Sherwood Hockey is holding. She designed and illustrated the puck and I provided a few ideas and feedback. Well, her puck was selected as one of the top 32 designs to compete in a bracket format on Instagram. Her puck design is Toronto #3 (Raccoon) and it’s facing off against the Anaheim puck today!

If you want to vote for her, go to the Sherwood Hockey Instagram page, https://www.instagram.com/sherwoodhockey/, and click on their logo to view their stories. You can then click (on a desktop) or swipe (on your phone or tablet) to get to her matchup. When you get to her page click the UP arrow to vote for her design; that’s it. You cannot vote by leaving comments on the general bracket page – you have to go to the stories. It’s live now.

She's made the Quarter Finals, but is currently behind and needs help. She's facing off against against another Toronto design. To vote for her, you'd press UP this time when you get to her matchup in the Sherwood Hockey Instagram stories if you'd like to help. 

If you're not an IG expert (I'm not), to view stories, you click on the profile image (the logo in this case) and you can then view the stories. The stories will play and then you vote on each matchup pressing up or down. It took me a few minutes to figure this out during the first round and I've had to explain it to several friends and family members. Some tried to vote by leaving comments in the bracket photos, but that won't register as a vote. 

Edited by althoma1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

This past weekend marked the first time I was on the ice since March 2020. Mad rusty but just nice to suit up again.

I went back then the family morning schedule changed and I had to stop.  So now I get to get out again after another layoff.  Not a bad situation though:

-Shanked pass

"Sorry, I've haven't been on the ice in months..."

-Get burnt on D

"Sorry, I've haven't been on the ice in months..."

-Catch an edge and look like a newb

"Sorry, I've haven't been on the ice in months..."

-Sail a shot 15 feet wide

"Sorry, I've haven't been on the ice in months..."

 

Eventually that well will run dry and I won't have any excuses, but while it lasts....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I skated today for the first time in almost 2 1/2 years, thanks to a broken foot and assorted health issues.

It was pretty ugly but I was out there.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, Steve_v3 said:

I skated today for the first time in almost 2 1/2 years, thanks to a broken foot and assorted health issues.

It was pretty ugly but I was out there.

Good for you.

After rehabbing an injury, when it came to chasing down a puck in the corner, I would just let the other guy get the puck with no pressure. I would just hang out near the crease to prevent a pass play.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...