Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoWings85

Tacki-Mac grips

I'm about to order a few Command grips and was wondering if they're the same thickness through out the whole grip. I want the "wrapped" ones, but it says they're the longer ones. If I cut it to make it shorter, will there be a ridge where it ends?

all the TackiMac grips are thicker at the end...you can always cut the thicker part off.....if you got big hands "wrapped" are good but if you have smaller hands go with the "sand grips"

I'm about to order a few Command grips and was wondering if they're the same thickness through out the whole grip. I want the "wrapped" ones, but it says they're the longer ones. If I cut it to make it shorter, will there be a ridge where it ends?

I cut mine all the time. I use both the sand grips and the wraps. I prefer the sands, but they are shorter and much thinner than the wraps.

Specific to your question, you will not feel the ridge. I cut every one of mine, and you just don't feel it, as long as you don't cut the grip too short. Since the grip is a bit thicker than the sand grip, the only time you feel anything is when the grip is too short and you have a gap between the grip and the shaft....that can be a little bit of an annoyance.

I got used to the wrapped texture size, even with smaller hands and senior sticks, and I feel like I have more of the grip in my hand than I did before with a taped knob. Either way, it helped.

I've used the long sand grip and the regular wrap ones, I honestly dont notice a bit of difference in my hand between the two.

I've been using wrapped style (small end) for a while - the first time I cut the bottom end (thinnest part) because I though the grip was too long - bad idea - it wore down & riped pretty quick

so my second go around I didn't cut anything & the grip is so far holding much better.

With mine, I always put it on about halfway, leaving the thinner part on the stick. Then, I cut it with a razor blade, getting rid of the thick part with the grip (can't roll with thick grips). Works perfectly.

Oh, and I use hairspray to adhere it to the shaft - I don't use their included sticker. I do this for 2 reasons -

1. It works just as well as their sticker, and it doesn't add the thickness of the sticker material

2. If I ever want to change stick lengths or put the grip on a different stick altogether, I can just roll it up and off the stick and re-use it

yeah I took mine off a stick once it broke and I realized if I ever did anything to modify the length and had to move the grip... that tape is just awful to remove.

With mine, I always put it on about halfway, leaving the thinner part on the stick. Then, I cut it with a razor blade, getting rid of the thick part with the grip (can't roll with thick grips). Works perfectly.

Oh, and I use hairspray to adhere it to the shaft - I don't use their included sticker. I do this for 2 reasons -

1. It works just as well as their sticker, and it doesn't add the thickness of the sticker material

2. If I ever want to change stick lengths or put the grip on a different stick altogether, I can just roll it up and off the stick and re-use it

What kind of hair spray???

I'd go Aquanet Extra Hold. The only issue I have with the TM grips is that sometimes there's a little mold or something under the grips when you peel them off...I'll try the hair spray next time, but the nicer squirt bottle stuff my gf uses doesn't stick.

And as a bonus, Aquanet takes pen marks off desks.

best stick product ever. i have them on every one of my sticks. you can cut them to any length you want. it's important that you get the install right, or it will slip or tear. i like the original double-sided tape best as far as keeping the grip firmly stuck down. if you remove them and remount them on a new stick, i've had the best luck with a thin layer of white cloth tape (no overlap), followed by a coat of spray adhesive. when they're drying, use a few of the extra large office binder clips to keep pressure on the grip.

i just called their offices and asked them where i could find extra tape. the woman who answered is sending me a bunch of extra sheets for my grips as well as telling the company to start selling spare tape on its own for people who transfer grips from stick to stick.

thats what the woman told me. im not sure of any golf stores near me currently but i'll look some up.

Sorry to revive an old thread... but seemed to be better than starting a new one.

Just got a tacki-mac grip. Cut the butt down by about half, and chopped about 2" off the other end. Put it on, and I dunno... I'm just not sure I like it. Seems too thick. Half tempted to just remove it immediately.

Does it take some getting used to?

Does it take some getting used to?

Mileage may vary by user but I wasn't too hot on it either at first...but after a couple uses I was sold, have them on every one of my sticks now and will not go back to tape. Love the grip and how my glove palms don't get eaten alive.

Mileage may vary by user but I wasn't too hot on it either at first...but after a couple uses I was sold, have them on every one of my sticks now and will not go back to tape. Love the grip and how my glove palms don't get eaten alive.

Great reply, that pretty much sums it up for me too.Give it time , they really are worth it IMHO.

+1 on the hairspray. I've destroyed a couple of grips by trying to remove them from broken sticks, when I had used the tape that's included.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I believe I started the hairspray trend a long time ago. Water on the tape took too long to cure for me. I eventually applied the tape, used hairspray on the tape. That worked well too. In the latest Tacki-mac box I noticed they are now including a small vile of activator. I used it and it seems to work really well. Seems the curing time is closer to 30 minutes but at least it cured. The Water method took forever. Nice to see they are trying to find the right solution for application. Still think this is a great product. I was without for about a week while my LHS was waiting on an order. I taped my knob and within 2 weeks had a hole in the palm of my coaching gloves. I had them for 2 years prior, always with Tacki grip and never had a problem. Tacki do 3 things I appreciate 1. provide protection from palm wear. 2. provide good stick control with less grip strength. 3. My gloves stay fresher because I don't have stinky tape on the knob.

Bringing this thread back to life.

I thinking about getting the short sand grip but I got a couple of questions first.

What length is the short one and the long one?

Is the grip kind of squishy when it's on the stick or is it almost like one or two wraps of tape?

Bringing this thread back to life.

I thinking about getting the short sand grip but I got a couple of questions first.

What length is the short one and the long one?

Is the grip kind of squishy when it's on the stick or is it almost like one or two wraps of tape?

4" and 7"

It feels solid, not squishy. Its the same company that makes golf and tennis grips if that helps.

Get the long one and cut it to your liking. They taper down towards the bottom, they get a bit thin. I get the long and cut it back above the tapered area.