Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EBondo

The "people you may have heard about but probably didn't" death thread.

22 minutes ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

OD?

ugh! cancer.  i feel like a D*ck.   two young kids left behind too.  i'm only a year younger then Ford (was), but after losing a good friend to cancer at a young age, i've been more diligent with my health and getting to the docs at least once a year.  the motto after my friends death "if you don't feel good, go get checked out!" 

Edited by GreatestAmericanBeardo

Saw this today on facebook, posted by a former radio colleague on mine, and credited (originally) to W. Earl Brown (who I am not familiar with):

Merle's Final Show*.

It was Super Bowl weekend. Merle had already cancelled months of shows, but this particular booking was a big payday. Merle had to pay his band and crew, so there was no calling in sick for this gig.

Toby Keith was in town with his wife to watch some football and have some fun. Toby got word that Merle was in Vegas, so he went to see him… Merle was in bad shape. He needed to be in a hospital - not on a stage; but The Show Must Go On. Merle would not take charity from anyone, but he did turn to Toby and say, "How many songs of mine do you know?"

"All of 'em" answered T.

"All of 'em?"

"Yep. And I won't need a teleprompter."

"Well, stay nearby." After four or five songs, Merle's infected lungs were spent. He couldn't draw enough air to sing any longer. "We've, uh, we've got a special guest here tonight…" Toby came out and sang the rest of the show. Merle gave his last concert. The Strangers got paid. And the audience, while not realizing it at the time, saw something special.

Never speak ill of Toby Keith to me; thanks to him, Merle exited the stage with his dignity intact.

* I have been informed that Merle played a couple of shows after Vegas, so this was not the FINAL show. I knew he and Kris were set to play a rescheduled LA on Feb 3, because I was missing it due to my travel schedule. I had no idea it was postponed a second time.

Whether Vegas was the last show, second-to-last, or whatever, the fact remains that when Merle needed a helping hand, he got one, and the audience was not left wanting. Merle was an artist and a showman until the end.

The reason I know about it, is that I phoned T after the Super Bowl to talk football. That's when he told me what happened. Knowing what a Merle fan I am, he sent me this pic. I asked permission to share the photo before I did so.

(the pic, as you can imagine, is of Merle and Toby exiting a stage area together)

• Like 1

On 4/7/2016 at 7:03 PM, RadioGaGa said:

Saw this today on facebook, posted by a former radio colleague on mine, and credited (originally) to W. Earl Brown (who I am not familiar with):

Merle's Final Show*.

It was Super Bowl weekend. Merle had already cancelled months of shows, but this particular booking was a big payday. Merle had to pay his band and crew, so there was no calling in sick for this gig.

Toby Keith was in town with his wife to watch some football and have some fun. Toby got word that Merle was in Vegas, so he went to see him… Merle was in bad shape. He needed to be in a hospital - not on a stage; but The Show Must Go On. Merle would not take charity from anyone, but he did turn to Toby and say, "How many songs of mine do you know?"

"All of 'em" answered T.

"All of 'em?"

"Yep. And I won't need a teleprompter."

"Well, stay nearby." After four or five songs, Merle's infected lungs were spent. He couldn't draw enough air to sing any longer. "We've, uh, we've got a special guest here tonight…" Toby came out and sang the rest of the show. Merle gave his last concert. The Strangers got paid. And the audience, while not realizing it at the time, saw something special.

Never speak ill of Toby Keith to me; thanks to him, Merle exited the stage with his dignity intact.

* I have been informed that Merle played a couple of shows after Vegas, so this was not the FINAL show. I knew he and Kris were set to play a rescheduled LA on Feb 3, because I was missing it due to my travel schedule. I had no idea it was postponed a second time.

Whether Vegas was the last show, second-to-last, or whatever, the fact remains that when Merle needed a helping hand, he got one, and the audience was not left wanting. Merle was an artist and a showman until the end.

The reason I know about it, is that I phoned T after the Super Bowl to talk football. That's when he told me what happened. Knowing what a Merle fan I am, he sent me this pic. I asked permission to share the photo before I did so.

(the pic, as you can imagine, is of Merle and Toby exiting a stage area together)

Great story, I've heard great things about Toby from some folks that know him a bit.