Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EBondo

The "people you may have heard about but probably didn't" death thread.

I should probably Google what the new definition of "celebrity" is.

For our Death Pool...we defined it as a "...death that is newsworthy and the person is easily recognizeable to the majority of the people involved".

We also determnined that you could not be in any way responsible for the person's death for it to qualify in the Pool *L*

To answer your question....in this day and age...too many people are celebrated (hence the name celebrity) for doing not a whole hell of a lot. So, I think the lines have been blurred WAY too much.

Bunch Of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger

CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.

Howard Zinn. Two of my favorites in one day.

Ah, the author everyone spouts off to sound intelligent thanks to Good Will Hunting.

Yeah, but he's also the author every history major reads to get another side of American history.

Bunch Of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger

CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.

I see what they did there...

I read "Catcher in the rye" in high school, and while it was an enjoyable read, it wasn't "powerful" or "masterful" or whatever crap about understanding the long misunderstood teenager. Really, Holden Caulfield was the first of a budding genre that emerged in the '60s that we know today as the douchebag. I think Glen Quagmire said it best in his rant at Brian Griffin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2oop-ELupU