Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ramensandwich

Referee Equipment

Here are the product pages:

https://www.prohockeylife.com/other/referee-accessories/bauer-official-s-shin-guards

https://www.prohockeylife.com/other/referee-accessories/bauer-official-s-elbow-pads

I definitely agree that the elbows look exactly like lacrosse pads. Many officials already use lacrosse pads. I'd probably just grab whatever was going for a better price between these and similar lacrosse pads if I was buying new elbows, but the addition of the 37.5 material is nice and may convince me to pay just a touch more, but not way more. Locally, I think I've seen similar lacrosse pads for about $49.99; so it's really only a $10 price bump vs. those based on the MSRP.

Have you guys seen the elbow “sleeves” that tron has? I can’t imagine playing hockey in those but they might be nice for reffing in. 

Not that I’d buy anything Tron, but I’m sure I could buy them from Alibaba or whatever Chinese wholesaler they get theirs from.

21 hours ago, watchgreat said:

I'm curious to what every wears for reffing? What are your setups?

Helmet: CCM V08 w/ brandless visor

Elbows: 2 sets of my old lacrosse pads. I use the soft elbow sleeves when I'm working the 2-referee system and/or wear the bands. I'll wear my all-plastic middie pads when I'm work liney. I think the first was made by Brine The first is made by Maverik and the latter made by Warrior. I'll check when I get home from work.

Sweater: CCM M-PRO150S

Pants: PG Pro Padded Pants

Shins: Bauer Supreme 850 Soft Shin Pads

Skates: Bauer Nexus 8000

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
Added info...

Helmet: REEBOK 8K w/ Oakley Pro Straight

Sweater: HockeyRefShop Reversible Jersey

Pants: Steven's Padded Pants

Shins: Bauer Supreme 1000

Skates: Bauer 190s soon to be True Pro Custom

That's a good question.

PG's setup is $150.00 USD - https://pghockey.com/product/2

I only saw the new Bauer pants on Great Skate and Official's Wearhouse during a quick internet search. 

I like the tapered cut/look but do wonder about the material of the pants and if the kidney protection is removable. 

On 7/18/2017 at 11:58 PM, watchgreat said:

I'm curious to what every wears for reffing? What are your setups?

Helmet: CCM V08

Visor: CCM

Elbow: STX LAX pads

Padded Shirt: Mission Elite

Pants: Combat 100 w/ Stevens Pads

Shins: Bauer 1000

Skates: VH Custom

I'm a linesman, I don't referee. The leagues I work provide sweaters and helmets for us, so I'm contractually obligated to wear CCM.

I prefer having a separate girdle. Here's why:

• I use a tight fitting girdle for both ice and roller; so I am already used to the girdle hugging the body. Most of the girdles built into pants sit off the body.
  • If the girdle or pants wear out then just replacing one is generally much cheaper than buying another combo or converting to a separate girdle/pants set.
  • I find that the separate girdle/pants setup provides a more tailored and professional look. A lot of the combo pants have that loose, bulky look.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I prefer having a separate girdle. Here's why:

• I use a tight fitting girdle for both ice and roller; so I am already used to the girdle hugging the body. Most of the girdles built into pants sit off the body.
  • If the girdle or pants wear out then just replacing one is generally much cheaper than buying another combo or converting to a separate girdle/pants set.
  • I find that the separate girdle/pants setup provides a more tailored and professional look. A lot of the combo pants have that loose, bulky look.

Appreciate the quick/thorough response. I was leaning toward separate girdle/pant set up since I use a girdle/shell combo for ice. Any recommendations for girdles? Unfortunately I'm have to order online since ref equipment is sparse here.

I have never used a ref specific girdle. The most common ones seem to be similar to a low end inline girdle you can find for cheaper. There are a few decent ones that compare to high end inline girdles, but I've always found other options for better prices. Here's what I've used:

Farrell 5 pad shorts. Very mobile, but doesn't have kidney and spine protection. The waist band also stretched out on me after a couple seasons. $10 on clearance via eBay

Valken V-Elite Inline Girdle. Light, mobile and well ventilated. It does have spine and kidney protection. Tron made a clone called the Tron V-Elite. I picked up the original Valken for $35 on a sale on HockeyTron (regular price was $59.99). Eventually my Valken girdle wore out, but it lasted a good 4 years being used for reffing both ice and inline and playing inline. I still use the Tron version to play inline, but now have a separate girdle to ref.

I'm currently using a Mission Thorax Flow girdle. I've removed the plastic side hip pads as I felt they were overkill and there's still foam padding in that area. These are more protective than any of the ref girdles I've seen and I picked them up on clearance for around $40CAD (Orig. $69.99). It's not as light and well ventilated as the Valken, but is still mobile and is more protective. At the same store I saw a high end ref girdle for $80.

So I'd look at clearance high end inline girdles. I've been able to find some nice ones for much less than comparable ref girdles. 

If you really want a ref specific girdle, or can't find a good deal on a high end inline girdle, then this is the best ref specific girdle I've seen in store: http://www.refereestore.com/force-krome-hockey-official-girdle/

That Force one seems to offer the protection of the Thorax Flow, but adds a belt like the Valken. It's the one that was around $80 at the store where I purchased the Thorax in Canada. It's actually only $55 online; so it's listed for a pretty good price on that site. The fact that it's in the US would likely kill the deal for me (I'm in Canada) due to shipping, customs and the exchange, but it would be a good option for someone in the US. 

I found the sizing for it on a Canadian site: Small 25-31", Medium 29-35", Large 33-39", XLarge 37-43", XXLarge 41-48" (minimum number with fabric in relaxed state, maximum number with fabric fully extended)

The Force Krome is the only one that seems to offer a compression type fit and substantial protection. The CCM PG9 and Bauer 1000 seem closer to lower end inline girdles. The CCM PG9 is probably the most commonly used one and it looks more protective than the Bauer 1000 (thicker padding), but in my opinion most higher end inline girdles and the Force Krome look like better options. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Decided to go with the Mission Compression Pro. The feedback was much appreciated. @althoma1

Helmet: Bauer 4500 w/ Tron S30

Sweater: CCM Pro

Elbow: Brine Clutch (lax)

Girdle: Mission Compression Pro

Pants: CCM PPL8

Shins: CCM SG100

Skates: Bauer TotalOne MX3

Edited by jared9356
  • Like 1

I haven't used the Mission Compression Pro, but the specs look great. 37.5, compression fit and removable protection: so you can add or remove things based on how it's feeling and perhaps the type of game you're officiating. Seems like a very good choice. 

Edited by althoma1

50 minutes ago, jarret_g said:

Shin pads - CCM 100 shin pads (hate these, been saying for years I need to get a different pair), suggestions welcome

I picked up these early last week and have used them for about 30 games now (yes, 30 games. It was a very busy tournament week): https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332338716.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgIPOBRDnARIsAHA1X3TjWmKFaNN6MGOlTpb1HtkDXgtLGXlwoQrKK9F9gCoOn3_r8166aJoaAmIIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIm6pZzWsdYCFQd9AQodi7kAdQ#332338716=332338730

For 5 years before that I used the CCM 100 shin guards. I find the new Bauer Official's shin guards are slimmer, lower profile, lighter, allow greater range of motion in the knee area and stay in place much better (they're very secure even before I put shin tights on). I can go from one rink to another while wearing the pads without skates and the shins will stay in place, whereas the CCM pads would shift around without skates on if I tried to walk in them (even with shin tights on). I've taken several hard shots off them and they seem to be just as protective as the CCM pads. Fortunately, I haven't taken a hard fall in them yet so haven't tested out the knee protection, but it seems good.

The only thing that's taken some getting used to is the knee sleeve - it takes slightly longer to put the pads on with that sleeve and you have to make sure it's on just right. Even when it's on right it feels tighter behind the knee, but that's also what helps keep them in place so well. So far I'm really happy with the upgrade (also picked up the new elbows which are very light and mobile - I find I do have to occasionally move them back into place though).

The removable calf guards and thigh guards are a nice touch. I've kept both on as I don't find the extra protection adds a lot of weight or limits mobility. 

One note on sizing - I was wearing the 16" CCM 100 shin guards and bought the Bauer 15" or L/XL Official's Guards since that was the longest version they made (I usually wear 16" pads to play). The 15" Bauer guards are long enough for me and easily tuck behind my tongue and actually go slightly below the first eyelet of my boots with the knee in the proper place. There's no gap in protection between the boots and the pads and at the same time there's no interference or limit of mobility. I'm very happy with the purchase so far. 

I'd only bought CCM 100 elbows this spring and my 16" CCM 100 guards are still in good condition, but the new Bauer stuff looked and felt really good and I couldn't resist combining a gift card sale (15% off) with a friends and family sale (25% off regular priced items) and took the plunge. 

There are times that I wish I hadn't bailed on being a ref. Really though, I should probably sell all my gear. None of it has ever been used. Even custom jersey and pants :( 

1 minute ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

It is something to consider getting back into! That being said, there is always someone out there look for ways to mitigate startup costs when first stepping into officiating. 

It's just the time commitment. I also can't skate very well, which is a huge part of it. I can probably unload almost all of it, except for the custom stuff. Hemmed the bottom and cuffs of the jersey and had the pants altered to fit perfectly. 

I don't have those Bauer pants, but skated with an official yesterday who has them and he loves them. He says the area below the zipper on his old pants would blow out and likes that they don't have zippers. He also said they're comfortable. I felt the material and it seems very durable. I prefer a separate girdle and shell as I like the girdle to hug the body  - I wish they made a shell only version.