Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

2009-2010 Habs Thread

Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think it's far off the mark.

Hockey is in the bloody stone-ages in performance psychology. Herb Brooks got into a tiny little bit of it when he was studying the Soviets, and Scotty Bowman was incredibly shrewd in how he handled his players, and hockey's a much more difficult case than, say, cycling or wrestling or even cricket, because it's a highly generalised and reactionary team sport. There's some very interesting and quite terrifying stuff out there on single-event performance. Tim Noakes' activation tests are borderline Mengelean; make the VO2max bike test look like a peck on the cheek.

As I posted (re: speculated) on the Habs Board earlier today:

I think there is WAY more going on with Price than anyone really knows. I think the "cliques" like those of the Theo/Ribs/Dagenais days may exist again. Totally speculating...but I wonder more and more if getting rid of Higgins was less about performance and more about just getting rid of him to try to pull Price back to the group.

Again, speculation on may part...and I hope Price gets his stuff back.

To add...I hear the forecast in Montreal is snow... :( (If you know what I mean).

Anyone else see that Cammalleri collision with the boards tonight? It looked horrible!

Why are all our stars going down this year?????

Foligno also broke his leg blocking a shot and is out for 6-8 weeks.

If anyone has suffered an injury like this you'll never want to see this happen to anyone, even if you're playing for a divisional rival...

why it was made such a big deal that Price lift his arms up after allowing a goal?? if you all paid attention he does this when he allows a goal where he could not see the puck due to a screen or a deflection it an ok reaction and it missinterpreted by the media... he is not blaming anyone or pointing his teamates it just a gesture to the team to say "sorry i couldn't do anyting to make the save"

many other goalies do it it a normal reaction.

why it was made such a big deal that Price lift his arms up after allowing a goal??

Because it's Montreal and the media is looking to create problems.

why it was made such a big deal that Price lift his arms up after allowing a goal??

Nah, he lifts his arms up after almost EVERY goal. I told my wife this at the beginning of the season and now even she makes jokes about it. It's quite pathetic. He needs to grow up. His D definitely don't play the same way in front of him than they do with Halak.

BTW - I didn't even know the media were saying anything about this. I usually hate the media but this time I have to agree with them if they're talking about this.

Nah, he lifts his arms up after almost EVERY goal. I told my wife this at the beginning of the season and now even she makes jokes about it. It's quite pathetic. He needs to grow up. His D definitely don't play the same way in front of him than they do with Halak.

BTW - I didn't even know the media were saying anything about this. I usually hate the media but this time I have to agree with them if they're talking about this.

I wouldn't say he raises his arms after every goal...but there is definitely more reaction than he used to show...In Hamilton, and in his rookie year....you couldn't tell the difference between a save and a goal. Maybe when Martin commented on him being too non challant (sp?) he took it to an extreme and is showing too much emotion now.

He also wouldn't take shots for the entire warm-up when he wasn't the starting goalie, about a week or two ago.

If this team had a real leader, someone would have told him: "Hey kid, you go back in the net right now"

Agreed...and then Halak wins the Habs the game tonight....AGAIN.

I don't get how there could be a contraversy...halak is the #1, let Price start once every 4-5 games and that's it. End of story. Maybe Price will grow up during this time and next year (I know we all said this last April but...) he'll be a true #1.

Great effort all around against the Pens this afternoon. Trotter and Desharnais had a hell of a game and were impressive call ups. I saw Trotter play in the AHL vs. the Marlies when he was first signed and he was one of the players that stood out (another was Mitchell who was playing for the Marlies at the time and is now on the Leafs full time). It's taken him some time to crack the lineup, but he didn't look out of place at all - the between the legs backhand pass he made to Desharnais just after he tipped the puck off the post was phenomenal. Hopefully the team effort carries over into tomorrow's game.

Gainey stepped down as GM.

Theory floating around here with the Habs fans in the office is the Molson's want to trade Carey and BG is not in agreement...so he is being moved out.

I seriously think this means Price will be moved before Mar 3.

[EDIT]: After seeing most of the PC...I retract my previous statement...or at least the "seriously" part. I think moving Price is more possible an outcome with BG not in the big chair...but we'll see.

I was happy to see Bob go, but Gauthier is a suspect choice at best. Questionable track record and has been removed from being a gm for a long time. Can't believe they didn't make it interim and interview other candidates in the summer.

I'm also worried that Price will be traded which would be a terrible move. His potential is way greater then his trade value which makes trading him pointless. He's also an RFA who will get 2.5-3M at the very most, same price for Halak. He's also only 22 and years away from his prime, why move him until he asks for it or Halak completely runs away with the #1 job.

I was happy to see Bob go, but Gauthier is a suspect choice at best. Questionable track record and has been removed from being a gm for a long time. Can't believe they didn't make it interim and interview other candidates in the summer.

I'm also worried that Price will be traded which would be a terrible move. His potential is way greater then his trade value which makes trading him pointless. He's also an RFA who will get 2.5-3M at the very most, same price for Halak. He's also only 22 and years away from his prime, why move him until he asks for it or Halak completely runs away with the #1 job.

He hasn't already?

price to caps for theo pls

*GMGM laughs and hangs up the phone*

He hasn't already?

Don't forget how Price got the job in the first place and how well that is working out right now.

Halak is riding a really good stretch of about 10 games. He has currently is and has been the better goalie throughout the season for the most part but even Price has some very good 4-5-6 game stretches where he looked like the #1 guy. Why make a quick decision now when Price's value is low? at least wait until the offseason.

I was happy to see Bob go, [...]

I also felt this way...

I would trade Price. Granted i don't know about how players live the pressure and the constant analysis of their tiniest actions and i may be imagining things here but, i think Price has had enough of Montreal. And i would, too. A change of air could jump start his career. He sees young guys like Tender and Pouliot, who had slow starts like him, come to life after a trade. I just think he wouldn't say no.

But, please correct me if i'm wrong; the habs have to sign Halak before they trade Price or?

If the Habs re-sign them at a total (for both) of $8M or less per season for a reasonable term (3-5 years), they could have the best goaltending situation in the NHL. It's hard to pay much less than that for one top-flight goalie and a capable backup, let alone two potential #1 goalies. Halak's stock has risen, Price's has dropped, but they could still both be afforded.

Best case: someone throws a huge offer-sheet at one (or both), and the Habs walk away with a boatload of picks.