Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 09-10 Thread

Savard is in the final year of his deal with Boston so that will be interesting in how they deal with it. I foresee the B's either going the whole season with Savard and going for the Cup or wheeling Savard plus a pick or two (perhaps a couple of the picks they just got for Kessel) at the deadline and plucking a signed centerman from a bubble team.

While I agree that my hope of getting a second for Finger *right now* is grossly optimistic, I was thinking more about, say, in February, after a few injuries have set in throughout the league - that's what I meant by "as the year goes on." If a team was in the middle of the pack, fighting for the playoffs, with major injuries on D, a 2nd-rounder isn't much to give up for immediate help where you need it most. Would it be overpaying? Sure it would. But when you're desperate...

Right now, why would anyone offer anything? I don't think there's a team in the league that isTHAT dissatisfied with their blueline so early in the year - or at least not one that's willing to admit it yet.

hey guys and gals. to anyone in the leafs region that doesnt have leafs tv..you can see tonights game live on torontomapleleafs.com

we are playing the sabres.

pretty good and very fast paced game.

anybody watching the buffalo game? lol do you see the helmet camera on pominville (?) and miller?

also no ads on the dashers

anybody watching the buffalo game? lol do you see the helmet camera on pominville (?) and miller?

HSBC just installed new boards and glass....they didn't have time to get rink boards on before tonights game...It looked really old school. Been a LONG time since I saw a game with no ads.

I really want Rosehill on the 4th line instead of Mayers.

Rosehill and Orr would be awesome.

I don't know if you can employ 2 pure fighters any more though, too many teams easily neutralize it by just not having any fighters...and then you've got two goons skating around with nothing to do really. And I haven't seen Rosehill play at all, but Orr is not a strong defensive player, and I can't imagine Rosehill is either.

I'd rather have Bozak or Stralberg make the team, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Wilson made some strange comment about them having 'earned' a job, but they haven't 'stolen' one, so they're likely headed to the Marlies.

I don't know if you can employ 2 pure fighters any more though, too many teams easily neutralize it by just not having any fighters...and then you've got two goons skating around with nothing to do really. And I haven't seen Rosehill play at all, but Orr is not a strong defensive player, and I can't imagine Rosehill is either.

I'd rather have Bozak or Stralberg make the team, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Wilson made some strange comment about them having 'earned' a job, but they haven't 'stolen' one, so they're likely headed to the Marlies.

Thank you Chadd and Kovyperron for the other info on games. i forget there are leafs fans everywhere =)

as well,

as much as i want these guys to succeed (Bozak, Hanson, Stalberg), i go to about 2 marlies games a month with my gf, so it would be awesome to see some of these guys play live (and not break the student bank)

Joey Mac had an awesome game in net. it would have been like 5-0 in the first if it wasnt for him. very underrated goaltender.

Granted all I've seen of Rosehill has been this preseason, but he has been impressive. He is fast for a big guy, has pretty decent hands actually, hits real hard, and most importantly tries really hard. Its apparent Mayers doesn't want to be in Toronto, and that's fine. He needs to be waived, as he isn't helping the team as much as he could if he gave a shit. I don't view Rosehill as strictly a goon, but then again I'm basing that off of just this preseason. I also want Bozak and Stalberg to make this team, but they have to make it over guys like Kulemin, Stempniak and Mitchell. Mayers/Rosehill has zero impact on Tlusty/Bozak/Stalberg/Kadri/Hanson.

HSBC just installed new boards and glass....they didn't have time to get rink boards on before tonights game...It looked really old school. Been a LONG time since I saw a game with no ads.

Olympics...

Wilson made an off-hand comment after the game last night that he "wanted more offence" from the Frat Pack Line, and that they were beginning to look like they were "barely surviving the camp." This sounds an awful lot like he's sending Kadri back to the O, and maybe Stalberg, Hanson and Bozak to the Marlies along with Gunnarson. Nothing wrong with that at all. He can season them down there as long as he wants, and any time he manages to trade off a veteran, he can bring up a younger guy who's now several months stronger and better adapted to pro hockey.

Olympics usually have Some sort of artwork and stuff on the boards..these were Completely clean all the way around, minus the Reeboks on the lines.

Olympics usually have Some sort of artwork and stuff on the boards..these were Completely clean all the way around, minus the Reeboks on the lines.

They actually stated on the telecast last night that the reason was they just installed new boards/glass. They didnt say anything about the olympics.

It seemed to me, in my limited experience, that the glass pieces were wider, as in stantions (sic?) were placed further apart.

Gustavsson. Hoo boy. I know its just pre-season, but its hard not to think the Leafs may have landed a real blue-chipper.

Healy's right, though, that he needs to work on his rebounds - and on overcommitment. A more seasoned trigger-man on the end of that 2v0 would have gotten it over the pad on just tucked it back five-hole.

He looks like an amazing prospect, and he's adapting rapidly to the North American game, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Easier said than done to go roof on a 2 on 0 like that....any way you slice it, it's a gigantic save, especially given that it's late in the 3rd up a goal. No way in hell Toskala makes that save. Rebounds looked shaky a bit tonight, but you had to admit there was a bit of a swagger there that he just wasn't going to let in a goal anyways....haven't seen that in Toronto since the days of The Eagle.

I don't think Wilson can cut Stalberg now, he's simply scored too many goals and has looked too good. I'd love to see Bozak stick as well, but he looks like he is pushed off the puck a little too easily right now. There is an open spot on the top 2 lines until Kessel comes back, and I think you gotta give that to Stalberg.

Of the kids, I agree, Stalberg makes the biggest impact; Hanson is probably the most physically mature, but he hasn't played brilliantly; Bozak and Kadri have looked terrific, but they're just not there physically, and Gunnarson has really faded. As the year goes on, Burke can still trade or waive to open up spots as they progress.

Bear in mind with Gustavsson that every new goalie - and this goes double for slightly unorthodox and very talented ones like him - gets a certain grace period before the book on him comes out. Think of all the goalies who won the Calder, or who had crazy out-of-nowhere rookie playoff runs, or enormous winning streaks in their first years in the league: Jim Carey, Brian Boucher, Cam Ward, Andrew Raycroft. The very best ones will have a short downturn (up to a year of "sophomore jinx) before they learn how to counteract their own scouting reports; that's where Carey Price should be this year, barring a total head implosion. That full-split save against a goalmouth pass is something Fleury used to do all the time, until people just started tapping it back five-hole and lighting him up. He has all the talent in the world, but how he meshes with Francois Allaire and how quickly other teams' goalie coaches get him figured out will play a very big role in his mid-term success.

Toskala has played two years with maybe the worst defence in the NHL on a crete paper groin and papier maché hips. By worst, I don't just mean statistically worst, I mean worst in terms of how they allow shots and scoring chances. He deserves a lot more credit than he's getting.

Two guys that have me a bit worried are Tlusty and Kulemin, I think they've both been badly outplayed by the likes of Stralberg, Bozak, and even a guy like Stempniak.

Rosehill did look really good last night, he's pretty fast and was in good defensive position several times. I actually liked him more than Orr from what I saw.

You almost feel bad for Toskala giving up that terrible goal and then seeing Gustavsson come in and play like that, but I get the feeling from Toskala he's not the type of guy who's going to rise up to the occasion if he'e being pushed like that. He seems like the guy who could sulk a littlle bit.

Two guys that have me a bit worried are Tlusty and Kulemin, I think they've both been badly outplayed by the likes of Stralberg, Bozak, and even a guy like Stempniak.

Rosehill did look really good last night, he's pretty fast and was in good defensive position several times. I actually liked him more than Orr from what I saw.

I agree. From the the one game I watched I liked Bozak a lot. Seemed to have good hockey sense, and pass well. The announcers even commented on it a few times. Also, how is Stempniak playing? I liked him on the Blues but also like the return we got for him in Steen