Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 09-10 Thread

Vesa lit up for 7 goals tonight....I didn't see any of the game, but on only 24 shots, I assume a few of those must have been bad goaltending.

Toskala is going to be on a short leash I think this year, maybe not with the team, but with the fans. I can see a potential 'McCabe' like situation brewing here, if he lets in a few ugly ones to Montreal on Thursday you can bet the boo birds will be out.

I didn't see all seven, but at least three of the first five really weren't his fault. Good passing/odd-man rushes/poor defensive play, etc. When he was being pulled for the extra attacker he was visibly pissed off. I've never seen that from him before, and am taking it as a good sign.

That was not necessarily a good way to end the pre-season... they looked like the Leafs of the last two years, hanging goalies out to dry and actually creating more scoring chances against than they prevented.

On the other hand, maybe Wilson decided to let them play fast and loose just for the hell of it: it's a meaningless game, he wants them to have some fun playing pond hockey, etc. They're playing paintball for the rest of the week anyway...

Toskala looked pissed off in a "Did we just get McCabe back on waivers," kind of way - just like J.S. Aubin when he chucked his stick over the net at McCabe in disgust. That could be a good signs or a very bad sign; depends entirely on the nature of his optimal arousal level.

The one that snuck through his armpit in the previous game was a total and culpable mental lapse on his part, as were a couple of last night's. Having said that, I would cut the guy some slack, given that he didn't play for the last quarter of last season, had the whole offseason off-ice, and hasn't had a lot of work in the preseason. Gustavsson, by comparison, played all the way through the SEL finals, and had a healthy, productive off-season. It's incredibly impressive that he came back so quickly after the heart surgery - minor or not, that's an impressive athlete psychology at work - but he's much sharper than Toskala right now.

does anyone know what other cuts and when the leafs will be making.

i know hey have sent hanson, bozak (soon) and frogren down so far to the AHL.

Tomorrow.

There are rumors Bozak has jumped Kulemin on the depth charts, and may start the season with the team. Stalberg has almost certainly made it. If Bozak does make it, I don't know where they play him, I'm guessing on the wing but who knows. Mitchell has been playing a lot more wing lately, so perhaps Bozak slides in 3rd line centre.

Allison was cut. MacDonald will be sent down. Tlusty, likely as well. Rosehill and Gunnarson will probably remain with the club for now as Mayers, Finger and Van Ryn are injured and likely destined for IR. I'm not sure who else is on that list, but the likely skaters are:

Forwards- Stajan, Grabovski, Mitchell, Primeau, Wallin, Stalberg, Blake, Hagman, Stempniak, Rosehill, Orr, Kulemin, Ponikarovsky.

Defense- Kabs, Komi, Beauchemin, Schenn, White, Exelby, Gunnarson.

Goalie- Toskala, Gus

does anyone know what other cuts and when the leafs will be making.

i know hey have sent hanson, bozak (soon) and frogren down so far to the AHL.

Tomorrow.

There are rumors Bozak has jumped Kulemin on the depth charts, and may start the season with the team. Stalberg has almost certainly made it. If Bozak does make it, I don't know where they play him, I'm guessing on the wing but who knows. Mitchell has been playing a lot more wing lately, so perhaps Bozak slides in 3rd line centre.

I really hope Bozak doesn't jump Kulemin. In my opinion Kulemin is the superior prospect. I really like Bozak and I want him on the opening day roster, but not at the expense of Kulemin. Granted, Kulemin had a poor preseason, he got better as it went along. I liked him when he was paired with Stajan yesterday. Splitting him up from Grabs might be a positive. If Bozak does make the team I hope its at the expense of Stempniak. Bozak simply hasn't outplayed Grabs, Stajan or Mitchell, as much as Leafs fans wanted him to.

I don't know if he's outplayed Stempniak either though, but he's got a little chemistry with Stalberg going. And despite all the bluster, I'll believe Burke is serious about sending down veterans when I see it happen.

Sucks for Tlusty to have such a bad camp, he lit it up in the A last year, I had high hopes, but he might be your classic quadruple A type player.

Sucks for Tlusty to have such a bad camp, he lit it up in the A last year, I had high hopes, but he might be your classic quadruple A type player.

Ha quadruple A player I like that term. I now have a classification for all the Krogs, Maltais's and Marty St.Pierres!

I don't know if he's outplayed Stempniak either though, but he's got a little chemistry with Stalberg going. And despite all the bluster, I'll believe Burke is serious about sending down veterans when I see it happen.

the only problem with Tlusty this year is chemistry. I went to alot of AHL marlies games this past year/season (and am going to the home opener as well this year along with 2 games every month). Tlusty and Tim Stapleton were amazing on the ice. it was like watching crosby set up malkin the entire game(i know i know its a far fetch). Those 2 had mad chemistry which is hard to work on with other players sometimes. it will take more than 9 games playing with different linemates to develop good chemistry. sometimes one player can make another player that much better when they play together I suppose. Take Domenic Moore and Jason Blake for Example (moore leaves and is crappy on buffalo and Blake's performance on tdot goes down.)

if they can find a passing center to play with Tlusty (maybe Grabo or Stajan) and give Tlusty some time, Tlusty will gel and put up points. I just hope they give him another look if they send him down.

okay my rant is done lol :P

btw if Stapleton makes Atlanta...he should have a good year.

p.s. some news about another former leaf (read stapleton). Anton Stralman got traded to Columbus from Calgary for a 3rd Round Pick. if this kid get some ice time in Columbus and Hitchcock can get him running with the system... WATCH THE F OUT lol. :rolleyes:

I really hope Bozak doesn't jump Kulemin. In my opinion Kulemin is the superior prospect. I really like Bozak and I want him on the opening day roster, but not at the expense of Kulemin. Granted, Kulemin had a poor preseason, he got better as it went along. I liked him when he was paired with Stajan yesterday. Splitting him up from Grabs might be a positive. If Bozak does make the team I hope its at the expense of Stempniak. Bozak simply hasn't outplayed Grabs, Stajan or Mitchell, as much as Leafs fans wanted him to.

i liked kulemin since last year, all he has to do is play like j. blake, shot shot shot and grind

Bozak, Gunnarsson, Hanson, Frogren, Tlusty and MacDonald are all going to play for the Marlies.

here is a list of the opening roster from the leafs website...

Leafs Opening Roster Article

on a side note, i am going to the Toronto Marlies game this sunday against the Hamilton bulldogs (so i should be getting a good look at some of our future stars)

I am pretty surprised that they Kept Garnet Exelby up with the big club. I thought he didnt have a very good preseason.

I am pretty surprised that they Kept Garnet Exelby up with the big club. I thought he didnt have a very good preseason.

No real surprise there, he's an NHL defenceman.

What will be interesting is to see who gets the ice time when Finger and Van Ryn get healthy.

oh yah chute. forgot about Kulemin. this sounds horrible, but i am really pumped about our AHL team this year lol.

i hope that when van ryn and finger get healthy (finger is good to go though i think, hes not listed as injured on thier roster at least), they dont cut into Ian White's ice time too much. hes a pretty good player and is really good at moving the puck.

i think Finger and Exelby may find themselves to be the odd men out.

i wonder if those 2 have to clear waivers before being sent down. or they might even get traded or have thier contracts bought out.

do you guys want to see a few pics of the game this sunday? let me know =) i might be able to post a few or links to them after i upload em. they are leafs after all =)

oh yah chute. forgot about Kulemin. this sounds horrible, but i am really pumped about our AHL team this year lol.

i hope that when van ryn and finger get healthy (finger is good to go though i think, hes not listed as injured on thier roster at least), they dont cut into Ian White's ice time too much. hes a pretty good player and is really good at moving the puck.

i think Finger and Exelby may find themselves to be the odd men out.

i wonder if those 2 have to clear waivers before being sent down. or they might even get traded or have thier contracts bought out.

do you guys want to see a few pics of the game this sunday? let me know =) i might be able to post a few or links to them after i upload em. they are leafs after all =)

Seriously?

Both would obviously have to clear waivers. Finger's contract is so bad that I can't imagine anyone claiming him on the way down, re-entry waivers is another story though if they try to call him back up. I don't think Exelby would clear waivers and I really don't expect to see him sent down.

Exelby would be grabbed in heartbeat. Finger... maybe have to wait for re-entry waivers mid-season.

I'm pretty excited for the Marlies this year, too. It's a very nice convenience to be able to stumble out the door and catch a decent pro hockey game in a nice rink any old time.

And I have to say, this is the first time in a long time I have any intention of watching Leafs' games voluntarily.

Haha - but did you notice him "Doing the Kayak" on a couple of rushes in the first - two hands on the stick, swinging it around over his shoulders? That nickname may stick...

didn't watch the first 2 periods but the third was a good period to watch, keep thinking toskala could be soooo good if he was like 6' 1" lol

didn't watch the first 2 periods but the third was a good period to watch, keep thinking toskala could be soooo good if he was like 6' 1" lol

Much like you, the Leafs didn't show up for the first two periods

Much like you, the Leafs didn't show up for the first two periods

That game would be an embarrassment for any team, expecially one that claimed to have rebuilt their defence core. It honestly looked like amateur hour out there watching the Caps play keep-away in the Leaf's zone all night.

The difference in skill level between the two teams was just frightening.