Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

To be fair, hockey is expensive even at just the house league level. Danger and expense are both probably barriers in mom's mind. You may want to offer to do some kind of part time work, lawn mowing, etc... to help with the cost.

• Like 1

To be fair, hockey is expensive even at just the house league level. Danger and expense are both probably barriers in mom's mind. You may want to offer to do some kind of part time work, lawn mowing, etc... to help with the cost.

I have paid for all of my equipment except my skates, and not cheap equipment either. I'm looking at getting a part time job somewhere also. I always have mowed the lawn, and it's getting back to season again also.

• Like 1

Skating backwards into the D zone, I caught an edge (ice was very snowy), fell backwards, and hit myself square on the back of the head AND tailbone. Then my nose bled. My head is kinda hurting, too. Gotta be at work in an hour... :(

And since it was so close timewise, the editor has me answering Franko's post here:

I have paid for all of my equipment except my skates, and not cheap equipment either. I'm looking at getting a part time job somewhere also. I always have mowed the lawn, and it's getting back to season again also.

Good onya.

Again, explain to your mum that you can get hurt playing ANY sport and that hockey is no worse than any other sport.

Just don't let her read my previous post ;)

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 2

I guess I'm done with hockey. For the 3rd straight season the team I was on is moving up a division and leaving me behind. This time, the league coordinator put me on another D6 team. Except they decided they don't want me and their roster suddenly filled up somehow. I have nowhere else to go, now. The other two teams in this division are already full (which is why I was placed on this one).

I guess I'm done with hockey. For the 3rd straight season the team I was on is moving up a division and leaving me behind. This time, the league coordinator put me on another D6 team. Except they decided they don't want me and their roster suddenly filled up somehow. I have nowhere else to go, now. The other two teams in this division are already full (which is why I was placed on this one).

Have faith, Opti- you may find another team. Keep your pecker (nose) up.

My house league is no-check for sure, so I guess I'll follow up on her asking her later in time so I might be able to get into a summer league.

Thanks for the advice.

Would your mom be willing to watch you play in a pick-up game for a bit? She might see it's not so bad, that way, if her primary concern is your safety.

Have faith, Opti- you may find another team. Keep your pecker (nose) up.

Well theres another rink about 40 mins away. Maybe I'll have to look there.

Would your mom be willing to watch you play in a pick-up game for a bit? She might see it's not so bad, that way, if her primary concern is your safety.

I thought pick-up games were only for adults or for kids that are 16 that sign a waver?

Depends on the rink and what their liability insurance makes them do. Adults can sign their own waiver.

We're trying to figure out if we can have organized house-league program at our rink next winter for kids who haven't kept up with the people their age who are on the competitive travel teams.

We assume at a minimum they need a USA Hockey membership.

I thought pick-up games were only for adults or for kids that are 16 that sign a waver?

My apologies, I misread what you wrote. You said that you scrimmage at open ice/stick & puck, right? Would she come and watch a scrimmage session?

Getting her to talk to a coach from whatever team or program you want to skate in could help, too. I know I've had a number of chats with new-to-hockey parents who are nervous about safety.

My apologies, I misread what you wrote. You said that you scrimmage at open ice/stick & puck, right? Would she come and watch a scrimmage session?

Getting her to talk to a coach from whatever team or program you want to skate in could help, too. I know I've had a number of chats with new-to-hockey parents who are nervous about safety.

She has seen me go to stick and puck, while we weren't doing a scrimmage. I was just taking some shots. As I went to an open house at my future high school we met the hockey coach. I told him (with my mother there) that I would like to play but not competitively. In fact they have a "JV" team that is no hitting which is ice time twice a week and one game a week. I think she was interested in this and wants me to go to the summer practices and so does the coach. I thinking I'm winning her over a bit but cant be entirely sure

Blocked a pass with my cup.

Then I gave away the puck several times.

But then I slammed my stick onto the ice in frustration. However, me being fired up ended up with breaking good offensive plays. When the young turks get pissed off, life is GOOD.

Second half needs to be in the sweet spot...

Now I'm even more pissed off about my stupid injury...

Since highschool hockey is now over they now have started to have stick and puck...I've been waiting months dammit!

Is it me or does it piss you off to see guys wear #99 in league games, or even in pick up....

Doesn't bother me any more than the guy wearing 69 or 00 who think they're clever.

Doesn't bother me any more than the guy wearing 69 or 00 who think they're clever.

It is a laugh when someone wears 99 with a silly name; but annoying if the guy uses his own name.

Is it me or does it piss you off to see guys wear #99 in league games, or even in pick up....

I can't see that it affects my quality of life.

Two nights ago playing in a a league adult hockey game my buddy who is about 5'2'' and weighs 130 soaking wet stole the puck from a gorilla and the the big dumb gorilla falls down, looks stupid whatever. Said gorilla chases my friend from the goal line to the blue line, drops the gloves, grabs jersey from behind, and starts throwing. I am on the bench. My friend turns to try to defend himself but its a no contest seeing how this gorilla is about 6'3 230 dumb as rocks, retard strength hot head. After my friend gets put to his knees by right hands, and the ref does not step in, I jumped the bench and went to break it up. I grabbed the gorilla and said "ok buddy enough". Well this just turned into him trying to fight me but I had him tied up pretty good and when he let go with one hand to try for my helmet I was able to push him back on his ass. Unfortunately for me he lands on my leg/ankle tearing every tendon that holds it together and breaking my fibula. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. The gorilla also has the class to say "thats what you get faggot" while I was being helped off the ice by one guy from my team and a guy from his team. I love playing hockey, I don't even remember the last time I have had a minor penalty in adult league, but its just so discouraging to know that there is people out there that cause this kind of shit to happen. The ref was going to just let him smash my buddys face up cause I think he was too scared to break it up. Even the other team was yelling at the gorilla about the whole ordeal. So senseless and very discouraging.

Man, that is rough. There always be those men and women who take adult hockey way too seriously. I am surprised the officials didn't step in. I can see waiting for your partner to come in with you but not doing anything is dangerous (as you had to experience first hand). Stay strong my friend.

Two nights ago playing in a a league adult hockey game my buddy who is about 5'2'' and weighs 130 soaking wet stole the puck from a gorilla and the the big dumb gorilla falls down, looks stupid whatever. Said gorilla chases my friend from the goal line to the blue line, drops the gloves, grabs jersey from behind, and starts throwing. I am on the bench. My friend turns to try to defend himself but its a no contest seeing how this gorilla is about 6'3 230 dumb as rocks, retard strength hot head. After my friend gets put to his knees by right hands, and the ref does not step in, I jumped the bench and went to break it up. I grabbed the gorilla and said "ok buddy enough". Well this just turned into him trying to fight me but I had him tied up pretty good and when he let go with one hand to try for my helmet I was able to push him back on his ass. Unfortunately for me he lands on my leg/ankle tearing every tendon that holds it together and breaking my fibula. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. The gorilla also has the class to say "thats what you get faggot" while I was being helped off the ice by one guy from my team and a guy from his team. I love playing hockey, I don't even remember the last time I have had a minor penalty in adult league, but its just so discouraging to know that there is people out there that cause this kind of shit to happen. The ref was going to just let him smash my buddys face up cause I think he was too scared to break it up. Even the other team was yelling at the gorilla about the whole ordeal. So senseless and very discouraging.

Good onya for going in for your friend. I hope you got a few taps on the dashers for that alone. If not, I will tap the dashers for you the next time I hit the ice...

I would hope that some people got some balls and complained to the league against said gorilla. He needs to be stopped. That sh** is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!!

I was horse collared by some Richard Cranium type heir to the Massengill Empire and was very happy when the bloke with the Rollie Fingers mustache went after that D-bag. That shirt lifter (the dirty player) had the nerve to complain about people reacting to his shenanigans. Really?!?!? Rollie Fingers Mustache bloke got a well deserved bottle of Parrot Bay Rum for his heroics...

Good luck in getting better. If there is ANY justice in the world, something happens to that goon. But please take care of yourself, matey. If you come to my area to play, we will treat you to a red carpet welcome!!!!

• Like 1

Blocked a shot that was so hard that it flopped the tongue out of the shin guard. I am thinking Sherwood 5030 shins may not be the best ones. We will have to see what the bruise situation looks like...

OUCH!!!

3 tip in goals that are normally automatic for me, all complete misses.. Ever since I had a nasty bug for 2+ weeks, just got better, came back and my timing is off. It's okay because I'm still producing, but those were basically handed to me.

rebound pops up at cross-bar height. take a decent-sized cut at it in midair as it dropped. make perfect contact with the shaft only to see the puck go straight off the post and out...