Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

I chuckle at guys who talk about mixing up lines in game or captains sitting guys in certain situations. Its beer league and everyone paid their fee. Is the tee shirt really that important?

• Like 3

Is the tee shirt really that important?

It is to some people, usually the ones that think a scout is going to pluck them out of a beer league at 40.

• Like 3

I chuckle at guys who talk about mixing up lines in game or captains sitting guys in certain situations. Its beer league and everyone paid their fee. Is the tee shirt really that important?

I'll offer to sit if we're down a goal late in the 3rd, but that's quite a bit different from being told to sit.

If we win, I get a beer or two after the game, then I go home tired and hungry.

If we lose, I get a beer or two after the game, then I go home tired and hungry.

• Like 5

We just lost to 5 players. We had a full bench.

2 of the players tonight play Junior B hockey (level 1 lower than OHL). That team normally has 3 Junior B players (one of which has Ice Dogs stuff as I am pretty sure he has been a call up) in Division 4 out of 4. We have players that played house league their whole lives or started a few years ago. Our best is a guy who player AAA 10 years ago.

Every shift they want to score they do. But they then don't try and just pass the puck around for entire time they are on the ice. But a bunch of my teammates are okay with it because "it was close" but they fail to understand that if we get within 1 or 2 goals they are just going to score another the next shift they decide to put effort in.

It is ridiculous, I never care about winning and would rather lose every game and have a good battle than win every one by 5. Evidently it takes nothing to piss me off as I am furious and pissed. No one will bitch and complain because that takes effort in writing an email. They serious take the fun out of adult hockey.

One of the players also took a shot from the blue line that I caught 3 feet over my head. I am 6'5 on skates... the game was already over at that point and his shot broke 2 players stick that game already and left a welt on another players leg after he took a snap shot right at him.

Edited by Hills

I had a great Gen Chem I teacher for the first Summer semester. Now, for Gen Chem II, my teacher is AWFUL. He's a really nice guy, but he doesn't present the information well at all. This sucks, because Chemistry is THE course that intimidates the crap out of me. Plus, this is the quantitative chemistry class, and I am BAD at math. Getting concerned/overwhelmed. Ugh.

Just need to push through I guess. No July 4th festivities for me :sad: . I'm gonna go to the library all weekend and see if I can figure this information out.

Edited by kovalchuk71
  • Like 1

I had a great Gen Chem I teacher for the first Summer semester. Now, for Gen Chem II, my teacher is AWFUL. He's a really nice guy, but he doesn't present the information well at all. This sucks, because Chemistry is THE course that intimidates the crap out of me. Plus, this is the quantitative chemistry class, and I am BAD at math. Getting concerned/overwhelmed. Ugh.

Just need to push through I guess. No July 4th festivities for me :sad: . I'm gonna go to the library all weekend and see if I can figure this information out.

Does the school have any tutoring resources, or does the instructor make himself available outside of class time (usually this is required of college teachers for at least an hour a week per course)? You may find he's able to present info in a way that suits you better one-on-one than to a group, or may be able to steer you in the direction of someone who can help you. IIRC, you're starting out in college, so forgive me if this "advice" is redundant - at this level, in general, it's not necessarily expected that you do everything without help, but it will be assumed that if you don't ask for help, you don't need it or don't care.

• Like 1

Does the school have any tutoring resources, or does the instructor make himself available outside of class time (usually this is required of college teachers for at least an hour a week per course)? You may find he's able to present info in a way that suits you better one-on-one than to a group, or may be able to steer you in the direction of someone who can help you. IIRC, you're starting out in college, so forgive me if this "advice" is redundant - at this level, in general, it's not necessarily expected that you do everything without help, but it will be assumed that if you don't ask for help, you don't need it or don't care.

Thanks for the advice. And no, I am not starting out in college, I graduated last summer and am taking some extra classes. I have honestly found the "tutoring" resources pretty useless. Since you aren't paying for them through the school, the tutors often rush you in order to fill all of the students they have on their list.

Edited by kovalchuk71

Well, just came back from my first game after the last debacle. It was actually going well for most of it. Of course the top line was together again, and the worst 3 players were put on the 3rd line again.

I kept my mouth shut for pretty much all of it. Before the game in the room and most of the time on the bench. The 2nd period ended with line 2 on the ice. You'd think that would mean line 3 should start the 3rd. But nope, out jumps line 1. Fantastic.

4 minutes left, I score to make it 5-4. Apparently somebody decided that when a line scores, they change immediately - doesn't matter if it was 10 or 50 seconds into their shift. Whatever, that's fine. So I get off the ice knowing I probably won't see another shift, if we close it out. Line 1 back on the ice. They promptly get scored on to make it 5-5 (that was their 3rd goal against this game BTW). Nearing the end of their shift, faceoff in the offensive zone. The other team calls time-out. Fantastic! That gave our top line just enough time to take a rest and go back out and play another full shift (to end the 3rd period).

Overtime comes, obviously line 1 starts it off. Heaven forbid anyone else on the team gets a crack at scoring the winning goal right? They actually kept it short this time, only about 2 minutes. 2nd line was very short, maybe 40 seconds. Our line goes out, and less than 5 seconds in one of our guys takes a penalty. Line 1 jumps over the boards. 5 seconds. A goddamn 5 second shift. Captain got a hell of an earful on my way back to the bench for that.

They end up killing the penalty, and captain fantastic gets off the ice in exchange for the 2nd line center, who scores with 2 seconds left in OT for the win. What a surprise. So the crappy 3rd line ends the night +2, and the superstar line ends up -2 with the captain a -3. Good thing we put them out there every shift we can!

I don't know what his deal is. Why does he think he's a superstar (he's not very good, but obviously he needs to center the top line with two VERY good players)? Why does he think he should get all the ice time? Didn't we all pay the same amount for this season? How come the rest of us get the shaft all the time?

Look, like I've said, if we're down a goal with 2 minutes left I will absolutely offer to let our top guys go out. But that should be an offer. If I don't offer, GFY I'm taking my shift. I couldn't believe the 5 second thing, it was truly incredible. This isn't the bloody NHL.

I think I'm done. I bloody love this sport and that's why I keep going back but I just don't think its worth the frustration and anger I have after every game, regardless of whether we win or not. I'm going to ask about being put on another team, or going to another rink altogether. Hopefully I can get a team when the new (even more) local rink opens up this fall. Otherwise, I think I'm best to just play some pickup while I work on my weight loss and strength/endurance with my personal trainer. It's a shame too because I genuinely like this team, except for captain fantastic who think's he's an all-star.

On the other hand, we only have two more games (plus playoffs).

Phew, venting over. Now to try to sleep without thinking about it all night.

Edited by OptimusReim

Went to the lhs the other day looking for cages. They had no cages so I did my normal wandering around. Went past the skates and kind of just eavesdropped on the salesman with a customer. This guy had 0 clue on what he was doing. The people asked if he had played hockey and his response was no but I've watched a couple games so I know a little bit. Then continued to ask what color skates he liked best as they all pretty much fit the same. I almost told the guy to scram and let me do his job. It's a shame too because they fired all the employees who actually knew how to fit skates and hired a bunch of people who don't know the first thing about hockey.

Edited by crispy92

Your Captain sounds a lot like this guy

Yes, that actually sounds quite a bit like him. Nice find :)

Edited by OptimusReim

Went to the lhs the other day looking for cages. They had no cages so I did my normal wandering around. Went past the skates and kind of just eavesdropped on the salesman with a customer. This guy had 0 clue on what he was doing. The people asked if he had played hockey and his response was no but I've watched a couple games so I know a little bit. Then continued to ask what color skates he liked best as they all pretty much fit the same. I almost told the guy to scram and let me do his job. It's a shame too because they fired all the employees who actually knew how to fit skates and hired a bunch of people who don't know the first thing about hockey.

Wow. It kills me when I hear small shoppe keepers lament about how the internet is killing their sales, but then I see the knowledgeable sales people get replaced with tools like you have written about. When you have a better chance of making an informed purchase decision on line rather than in store, it is no wonder that the 'net is killing the bricks and mortar store.

Wow. It kills me when I hear small shoppe keepers lament about how the internet is killing their sales, but then I see the knowledgeable sales people get replaced with tools like you have written about. When you have a better chance of making an informed purchase decision on line rather than in store, it is no wonder that the 'net is killing the bricks and mortar store.

Ya that and that they had original dynasty sticks for the same price as the new ax1lts. In there defense they are an all around sports store (football, lax, apparel) so those employees may be for other sports but for a while they were one of the better hockey shops around here and it suck that they a basically useless now

Another late night where I'm trying to sleep but can't. I never thought my life could be completely flipped upside down so quickly but I received a phone call mid-May that sent me racing back home. My best friend was diagnosed out of the blue with stage 4 metastic melanoma and she was the last person anyone ever believed that this was a possibility. I stay strong and keep my spirits up around her and around people at the rink but for the most part I constantly feel like I'm about to fall apart. I've never dealt with anything like this in my life and the last person that past away that I was close to was when I was really young. I always thought it would be a parent that would get sick or pass away and I honestly don't know how to cope with seeing someone I love and am so close to going through something like this. Today is day 60 after they gave her two months in the hospital and I'm sure that's part of why I feel so heavy tonight. She's a hockey girl so she is such a fighter and I'm so proud of everything that she's endured and fought through. She's been through two brain surgeries, 3 weeks of radiation, home health, one round of an IV cancer drug, and now just found out she has a blood clot. Alone, I try to keep positive because I know she is going to fight with everything she has in her but I am still so emotionally overwhelmed and scared for the future. To see someone I love and am so close to go through this is heartbreaking and makes me realize I am nowhere near as strong as I once thought I was. Sorry to vent that I feel selfish with my own emotions but I don't feel like I should vent/confide with anyone I know.

• Like 2

You've held it together this long, probably stronger than you think. If you aren't comfortable with anyone you know then perhaps you should try talking with a therapist.

• Like 1

You shouldn't feel selfish about having emotions that are difficult to deal with - it's really hard, and sad, to have someone you care about be sick and suffering. They're real, valid feelings. You might try talking to a therapist; you might try talking to a friend and finding out that hey, they feel the same way. Staying positive and hopeful is great, but come down to it, a loved one sick and hurt plain sucks, and getting wound up in the idea that one needs to stay positive does more harm than good for a lot of people. It's not like feeling angry, or overwhelmed, or scared, cancels out your concern for your friend, nor does it cancel out how she feels about her situation.

I'm sorry you and your friend are going through such a tough thing.

• Like 2

Alone, I try to keep positive because I know she is going to fight with everything she has in her but I am still so emotionally overwhelmed and scared for the future. To see someone I love and am so close to go through this is heartbreaking and makes me realize I am nowhere near as strong as I once thought I was. Sorry to vent that I feel selfish with my own emotions but I don't feel like I should vent/confide with anyone I know.

Don't feel selfish. Feeling overwhelmed, scared, frustrated, and heartbroken is human. Better than hiding your emotions and blowing up somewhere in the future.

Do give her your shoulder and all the support you can. That's awesome.

Do find someone you can talk to so you don't have to bottle it up. With something like that, it's OK to hurt, and it's OK to get it off your chest.

It takes a strong person to realize they can't shoulder it alone.

You shouldn't feel selfish about having emotions that are difficult to deal with - it's really hard, and sad, to have someone you care about be sick and suffering. They're real, valid feelings. ... It's not like feeling angry, or overwhelmed, or scared, cancels out your concern for your friend, nor does it cancel out how she feels about her situation.

^^^wisdom.

Edited by MThockeydad

Another late night where I'm trying to sleep but can't. I never thought my life could be completely flipped upside down so quickly but I received a phone call mid-May that sent me racing back home. My best friend was diagnosed out of the blue with stage 4 metastic melanoma and she was the last person anyone ever believed that this was a possibility. I stay strong and keep my spirits up around her and around people at the rink but for the most part I constantly feel like I'm about to fall apart. I've never dealt with anything like this in my life and the last person that past away that I was close to was when I was really young. I always thought it would be a parent that would get sick or pass away and I honestly don't know how to cope with seeing someone I love and am so close to going through something like this. Today is day 60 after they gave her two months in the hospital and I'm sure that's part of why I feel so heavy tonight. She's a hockey girl so she is such a fighter and I'm so proud of everything that she's endured and fought through. She's been through two brain surgeries, 3 weeks of radiation, home health, one round of an IV cancer drug, and now just found out she has a blood clot. Alone, I try to keep positive because I know she is going to fight with everything she has in her but I am still so emotionally overwhelmed and scared for the future. To see someone I love and am so close to go through this is heartbreaking and makes me realize I am nowhere near as strong as I once thought I was. Sorry to vent that I feel selfish with my own emotions but I don't feel like I should vent/confide with anyone I know.

When I was in high school, they gave the father of a close friend "no more than six months" to live. He died 15 years later. Stay positive and be strong for her, as well as yourself. The world is a place full of bad things that "could" happen to any of us at any time and worrying about them will just prevent you from enjoying the good things you could be experiencing. And even if the worst possible case scenario happens, then in the words of a singer I enjoy; "I'd rather die while I'm living than live when I'm dead".

You shouldn't feel selfish about having emotions that are difficult to deal with - it's really hard, and sad, to have someone you care about be sick and suffering. They're real, valid feelings. You might try talking to a therapist; you might try talking to a friend and finding out that hey, they feel the same way. Staying positive and hopeful is great, but come down to it, a loved one sick and hurt plain sucks, and getting wound up in the idea that one needs to stay positive does more harm than good for a lot of people. It's not like feeling angry, or overwhelmed, or scared, cancels out your concern for your friend, nor does it cancel out how she feels about her situation.

Great advice. Being positive is a goal that you shoot for, but any normal human is going to get down from time to time. The key is getting back up.

As a person who has cared for a chronically ill spouse for the better part of the last ten years, I have had a few of the same feelings you have had, particularly with feeling selfish with the emotions. I did realise something- you need to take care of yourself so that you can be strong for your friend. Have a cry, get it out, vent, and you will be stronger for your friend.

Do take care of yourself and know that you and your friend will be in my prayers.

• Like 1