Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Was psyched to go to SummerJam for the first time, and can't go now. Need to run home and help my dad get somewhere that day.

My dad is getting close to 70 and has been having some major mobility issues. They think it may be neurological. His younger brother has had some very similar and more severe problems. No answers yet. It doesn't help that he lives in a fifth floor walkup NYC apartment with a huge hill between his place and the subway and most grocery stores, etc.

He's a mess for a lot of reasons, alcoholism being chief among them, and I'm not sure if anyone can help him.

/vent

Edited by McDugan

It took all of two flights to bring back my disdain for the traveling public. Checked off almost all the selfish and obnoxious behavior that I abhor.

My mom was recovering from her surgery quite nicely and had been up and around much more the past week, at least until last night when she tripped over an electric cord, fell, broke her nose and fractured her knee and we had to call 911. She's fine, nothing complicated, but there's definitely a "really. are you #&!*#@! kidding me?" aspect to the whole thing. :facepalm:

Fly quite a bit most folks are fine. Hate the guy that puts 3-4 things in overhead blocking space for others.

I had 25 or so flights in the last week, the obnoxious ones are on every single flight.

I found out the hard way that buying the correct fitting shoulder pads should be your number 1 priority as opposed to price.

Well that or get out of the way of shots, while this isn't THAT THAT bad it still hurts.

vcAQesy.jpg

I also can't stand people who take adult hockey so seriously. Last night I had 4 attempted slew foots, 6 pretty vicious cross checks, a guy who missed my head with his shoulder by a inch. On top of that I took a knee directly to the front of my knee after I tapped the puck off of somebody and yesterday I couldn't put weight on it and today I walk with a limp...

So what we were competing against you and you were the number 1 team... we aren't out there to injure people or attack people why are you?

Just an adult rec league in the lowest division. It is full guys that have ridiculous tempers and still pretend hockey means something. The higher up you go division wise the less chippy and stupid it becomes, but we don't have the team to move up higher.

I played in a lower skilled league in the area and the higher you went in that (I was in the top 2 divisions) the dirtier it got. Every time I skated by their defence I'd get a 2 hand to the hands or ribs. The refs all just want the games to end asap so never call enough penalties.

I continue to be amazed by people who seem on the one hand to have no imagination at all, but on the other hand to delude themselves into believing some singular, insignificant thing is of great importance.

• Like 1

I found out the hard way that buying the correct fitting shoulder pads should be your number 1 priority as opposed to price.

Well that or get out of the way of shots, while this isn't THAT THAT bad it still hurts.

vcAQesy.jpg

I also can't stand people who take adult hockey so seriously. Last night I had 4 attempted slew foots, 6 pretty vicious cross checks, a guy who missed my head with his shoulder by a inch. On top of that I took a knee directly to the front of my knee after I tapped the puck off of somebody and yesterday I couldn't put weight on it and today I walk with a limp...

So what we were competing against you and you were the number 1 team... we aren't out there to injure people or attack people why are you?

We've lost a few guys from our team over the last couple years because of things like that. Honestly, I'm not far from putting it in my rearview mirror as well. I like the game, but way too many people that play this sport are the kind of people that give the sport a bad name.

• Like 1

I always hate seeing people having to deal with that crap when they play hockey for fun. It makes me appreciate the guys that play at the rinks I frequent. Sure you have the isolated ass hole, but in general the regulars are respectful of each other and knows that everyone has to go to work tomorrow. Its fun to play on the edge physically, board battles and fighting for position in front of the net, but there is a definite line that should never be crossed.

• Like 4

My local rink was "closed for maintenance" on the first week of July. There is still a hole on the rubber floor on one bench, the ice is fair to poor, and one can barely see the markings. Me thinks that nothing happened that entire week.

• Like 1

My mom came home from the hospital (fractured knee, among other things) in spite of everyone telling her to go to inpatient physical rehab (esp. as my dad is going out of town this coming week). Now has changed her mind and is back at the hospital hoping to get a bed at physical rehab. It seems like the last two years have been nothing but doctors and hospitals and the occasional 911 call.

My mom came home from the hospital (fractured knee, among other things) in spite of everyone telling her to go to inpatient physical rehab (esp. as my dad is going out of town this coming week). Now has changed her mind and is back at the hospital hoping to get a bed at physical rehab. It seems like the last two years have been nothing but doctors and hospitals and the occasional 911 call.

That just blows. Sorry to hear.

I always hate the people that are trying to show them to me, explaining this revolutionary smoking substitute they just found out about. My response is always "inhaling water vapor isn't good for you either."