Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Gallstones are horrible. I'm sorry. (healthwise yes, better outcome than a heart attack, but still painful). Did they at least give you good drugs and a schedule for a prompt removal?

Good drugs for if/when it happens again, yeah. We're going to try adjusting the diet before going the surgery route. Avoiding fatty foods (which I've started doing anyway). Happy to do the surgery if necessary though, it's not a big deal.

If anything I'm just happy to know that its not my heart, and that if I have another episode I know what it is. The first two episodes (one of which was on a plane - THAT sucked!) I didn't have checked out. This time we went to the ER, figuring if nothing else hopefully they can tell me it's not my heart.

Ultimately, the only thing that gets rid of stones already there is surgery. But it's not all that bad. I was much happier after having my gallbladder out - the surgery hurt less than the attacks! Then again, because I thought the gallstones were back spasms, I sat through attacks for like 2 or 3 years, so YMMV. By the time I got it into my head to go to the ER, they were basically incapacitating, and the ER doc thought it was kidney stones at first.

Glad you got it checked out and it's nothing serious.

Yea I get back "pain" about 20 minutes before the chest and abdominal pain starts. It's more like its the same pain you get when you sleep funny and it feels like you badly need to crack your back. Mostly upper-middle of the back. At least I have warning to get some drugs in me before it really starts!

I have an appointment with the gastro doc next week. I imagine he'll want to schedule surgery fairly soon, which is fine by me. Fairly minor surgery apparently. Certainly a whole hell of a lot easier than the others I've had!

Guys who you ref with that target/single you out during games because they think it's "funny". Well it's not, considering I pay full league dues to play. My teammates have noticed it as well. I don't get ANY calls, and if I throw criticism their way, I end up paying for it one way or another. These refs have also been there since the place has opened as well, so they are essentially "tenured". VERY frustrating.

Let's go chronologically...

Dec. 15 The only fully professional chorus in town, which has been the single constant in my life for the past 10 years since I moved here, announces that the board has decided to cease operations in May.

Dec. 20 Some idiot rear ends my car at a red light causing what turned out to be $4,000 in damage and causing me to be without the car for 2 full weeks due to the shop being closed several days over the holidays. Luckily his insurance covered the $, but, with everything else that went on, it was a stressful situation.

Dec. 24 4 month old baby gets sick with cold symptoms

Dec. 26 Take baby to pediatrician, get sent to ER to rule out pneumonia. Luckily no Pneumonia, but positive for RSV which can be very serious for infants. Not a total surprise since a daycare mate had RSV the previous week.

Dec. 29 After steady improvement over weekend, baby is miserable all night and we rushed her to ER again with a 104 F fever. Turns out congestion from the virus had led to an ear infection.

Jan. 4 My father in law takes a nasty fall on a very hard tile floor and breaks his hip

Jan. 8 Father in law has hip replacement surgery (they decided on account of previously undiagnosed bad arthritis in the joint, which has probably been causing his near-immobilizing knee pain for the past two years, that replacement was the best course)

This morning: Backing out of a parking spot after dropping kids at daycare, I tapped the bumper of the car behind me. Of course he had a license plate frame on the front of his car which put four neat little circular impressions from the bolts into my newly replaced bumper.

Now: Father in law has been in ICU since operation, being monitored for "concerns" over his heart. Seemd to be just precautionary at first, but now starting to be worrisome that he's still there.

Edited by McDugan
  • Like 1

It happens so much less these days, but I hate when I wander (with no external influence) into a swath of despair. I haven't been a very good human the past few days. At least it was of short duration.

When your school forces you to buy a PC laptop when you have a perfectly good Mac book already...

Yea, that just wouldn't happen for me. If I'm 100% forced to use Windows, I'd just use Fusion or even Virtualbox.

Having a Mac is a job requirement for me as well. If you don't allow me to have one (even if I buy it myself), I don't work for you. Period.

Yea, that just wouldn't happen for me. If I'm 100% forced to use Windows, I'd just use Fusion or even Virtualbox.Having a Mac is a job requirement for me as well. If you don't allow me to have one (even if I buy it myself), I don't work for you. Period.

They came up with a BS excuse how the wifi wouldn't work with it and that we would not be able to see files...Using Parallels and downloading windows would have been good enough but nooooooo. I've now placed every apple related sticker i could on it, my desktop wallpaper slide show is the classic apple style with galaxies, animals, and nature stuff directly copied from a wallpaper site. Guess what my home page is...apple's website...etc. etc.

They came up with a BS excuse how the wifi wouldn't work with it and that we would not be able to see files...Using Parallels and downloading windows would have been good enough but nooooooo. I've now placed every apple related sticker i could on it, my desktop wallpaper slide show is the classic apple style with galaxies, animals, and nature stuff directly copied from a wallpaper site. Guess what my home page is...apple's website...etc. etc.

Heh that's a bit much :P

But if its just school, why can't you just use your Macbook anyway? I mean, what's stopping you?

I'm coaching/managing/captaining 4 teams this spring.

U14 girls and their parents are like herding cats. Previous manager sent an email every 4-5 weeks. Drove us nuts. I send an email a week with updates. Still impossible to get commitments from girls and their families. Never know if we'll show up with 4 girls or 15. Peewee manager counterpart sends an email and kids and parents just show up on time.

Invited a bunch of friends to join me for a tournament. Tourney setup is such that every player registers individually, all they have to do is sign up with their CC and put my name in the team box. I don't know if I'll have 6 or 16 playing with me.

If you're in, say you're in. If you're out, let your spot go and say you're out. Wafflers suck.

On the flip side, I'm a first-time league captain. People love playing in this league. We have 11 skaters and 1 goalie. 3 of my skaters couldn't come to our opening game and were polite enough to let me know and I had 2 spots filled in under an hour.

I'm also running an adult beginner program and I have 14-15 people on the ice EVERY week. It's pretty awesome.

Not entirely a vent; looks like I'm batting .500!!

• Like 2

I mean, what's stopping you?

No tech support/ services for Microsoft office (already have it), when I was talking to the IT guy he said there might be "discipline" aka detention but no one knows...

No tech support/ services for Microsoft office (already have it), when I was talking to the IT guy he said there might be "discipline" aka detention but no one knows...

Meh office for Mac is pretty good. I'd tell them to blow me and use what I want.

I am in agreement with Chippa, zealots are more annoying than the haters. Having used both, each has their place. Unfortunately for me, I've had way more issues with my MacBook than all other computers I've owned combined. The amount of testing they did when switching over to the intel chips was laughable. Personally I just stick with building my own, they last longer and it's way cheaper. I don't game as much as I used to however so I could see myself giving mac another try in the future.

Well my MacBook was the first gen with Intel. Two weeks in it kept randomly shutting off after some hours, and the "geniuses couldn't figure it out dispite my leaving it there all day. They took my hard drive out and replaced the whole computer. Another week in, same issue. I thought it might be an issue with the heat sink and turns out it became a known issue. Everything has issues, I get it, but this was a hardware issue that was super easy to test before launch, that's what stress tests are for! Some months after that an issue with my backlight occurred that they never figured out so now the backlight spasms every few minutes for tge last 7 years. It crashes a lot more than my PC does too. I haven't used it much in the last few years because it's a hassle, and now eats through batteries so that they die completely within a month of purchase, which sucks because the apple batteries are not cheap, it's a desktop at this point. By now they are building better intel machines so I'll definitely give them another shot down the road, probably when I work on my masters

Yea that was also a loooong time ago.

The bashers are far worse. Most Apple users just mind their own business but the haters always feel the need to get a jab in whenever they can. The funny thing is that it's usually an ignorant comment proving they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Edited by OptimusReim