Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

He means that you won the game, genius. Good to see what's important to you.

no need for the sarcasm, I'm 16 years old and it was my first fight like ever so yeah. I only get like 4 penalty minutes a year.

and yeah we won the game, it was called off with 10 minutes left in the third.

Wrote a really good 30 min presentation. Found out the day before presenting that it's actually a 90 minute slot. Now it's not nearly as good because it's a whole lot of copy and paste from other presentations to make up the time. I doubt ill hit 60 minutes, let alone 90. Oh well.

Well since he had a cage on, and he was punching me with no Helmet on, sadly I did not

I meant the game haha. Fighting is overrated solely based on the rules USA Hockey has put into practice at all levels. It's just not worth it. Rule 615 always wins at the end of day ha.

• Like 1

I meant the game haha. Fighting is overrated solely based on the rules USA Hockey has put into practice at all levels. It's just not worth it. Rule 615 always wins at the end of day ha.

The funny thing is that there was another fight going on at the same time as mine and the refs forgot about me, I didn't even get a penalty :p

over-analyzing interview questions. I have this thing, where every interview I have been on, I take a question and think they are looking for a deep answer when really its just a simple answer they want. This time it was particularly bad, as I got my brain muddied by my current position and some similar terminology. It was like being in quick sand, especially in front of someone I know and have worked under before, to not be able to answer the question properly was disheartening to me.

Its like I think they want me to get up and good will hunting style fix a complex problem in front of them on the board, when really they just wanted a few simple answers. At least I have the second interview to try and break the streak.

• Like 2

...that's nice?

Stewie: how well do you know the person that sat in the interview? If its a situation where you had a good rapport, and is part of why you were interviewing, I'd reach out. If you know them, its ok to say "man I blew that question, I got tripped up, I get so nervous". Sometimes awareness is a good thing, and all that it takes.

• Like 1

...that's nice?

Stewie: how well do you know the person that sat in the interview? If its a situation where you had a good rapport, and is part of why you were interviewing, I'd reach out. If you know them, its ok to say "man I blew that question, I got tripped up, I get so nervous". Sometimes awareness is a good thing, and all that it takes.

fairly well. When I worked in the same lab before (as a contractor), he was my bosses boss, lol. He has encouraged me to apply for a job before, but I received the offer on the one I currently have so I passed it up. the second interview is with my previous boss, and another guy I know very well who is parallel to him in position. I will be a lot less nervous for that one. They know my work ethic and abilities, its just embarrassing to make a mistake on a simple question like that.

Edited by Stewie

The commuter rail line that I take to the rink is going to have service suspended on weekends starting April 25th, and ending November 22nd. Hockey attendance is about to get a whole lot spottier. (or, the commute will be about 3x as long by taking a bus and subway/streetcar).

First game of the season, and my first game in like 9 months due to refereeing all winter. The vent? We have 15 people showing up. This is the team that had been begging me to play because they "never have anyone show up".

• Like 2

Wedding planning. Everyone says this is suppose to be the happiest time in your life. I am still waiting for the happy part. It doesn't help that we are from two totally different families either.

• Like 1

We did our's on the beach during a cruise. We told everyone what we were going to do and if they wanted to come, great, if not then we understood. Our planning was a one page questionaire.

• Like 3

Wedding planning. Everyone says this is suppose to be the happiest time in your life. I am still waiting for the happy part. It doesn't help that we are from two totally different families either.

Going through the same thing. Luckily my fiance' and I have the same tastes and have worked extremely well together so far. I've found so far that it's the families that tend to cause the most stress. (At one point we have nearly no friends coming because our parents wanted every friend they ever met coming.) Just remember it's your and your fiance's day. If you need any help or wanna vent more since I'm going through the same process, feel free to PM me. Sometimes it's easier to vent to someone other than your fiance' about their family. I found that one out the hard way.

• Like 2

Going through the same thing. Luckily my fiance' and I have the same tastes and have worked extremely well together so far. I've found so far that it's the families that tend to cause the most stress. (At one point we have nearly no friends coming because our parents wanted every friend they ever met coming.) Just remember it's your and your fiance's day. If you need any help or wanna vent more since I'm going through the same process, feel free to PM me. Sometimes it's easier to vent to someone other than your fiance' about their family. I found that one out the hard way.

Thanks for that. Its really just my mom that is driving me nuts. She thinks my cousin knows everything there is to know about weddings and every time she talks to her she calls me and says "your cousin said..." I always respond with " Okay thanks I will put it in the suggestion box". Eventually I will get a phone call from my dad telling me to stop being an ass to her. Its frustrating because if I take the side of my mom my fiancé and I argue and she calls me a mommas boy and if I take the side of my fiancé my mom gets all pissed and then my dad calls me. At least my dad and I understand each other and I can talk to him like a normal person where I have to sometimes where kid gloves with my mom. If you need someone to chat with too feel free to send me a PM as well. BTW I grew up in Long Island and my fiancé is from the country in upstate NY so this is culture shock my mom is going to have to realize.

Optimus as always thanks for contributing I guess

• Like 2

Thanks for that. Its really just my mom that is driving me nuts. She thinks my cousin knows everything there is to know about weddings and every time she talks to her she calls me and says "your cousin said..." I always respond with " Okay thanks I will put it in the suggestion box". Eventually I will get a phone call from my dad telling me to stop being an ass to her. Its frustrating because if I take the side of my mom my fiancé and I argue and she calls me a mommas boy and if I take the side of my fiancé my mom gets all pissed and then my dad calls me. At least my dad and I understand each other and I can talk to him like a normal person where I have to sometimes where kid gloves with my mom. If you need someone to chat with too feel free to send me a PM as well. BTW I grew up in Long Island and my fiancé is from the country in upstate NY so this is culture shock my mom is going to have to realize.

Optimus as always thanks for contributing I guess

Thats more or less why I stopped including my parents in anything at this point. Just give them little tidbits of information about what we did. "We just found a photographer, well talk to you soon, love ya mom bye!" No chance to ask the thousand questions she thinks I didn't cover.

I'm not sure how far along you are with planning or where you're getting married but if you need any suggestions on anything let me know, we're almost finished at this point and just waiting on the date to get here and have been fortunate enough to lock up some really quality vendors.

It's probably better that you aren't from the same family. :laugh:

Seriously though, I've seen meddling family members make way too many weddings uncomfortable for the people getting married. My wife and I made virtually all of the arrangements for our wedding and had a very limited guest list. Doing that pissed off a lot of my family, but they were people that I rarely, if ever, saw or hung out with anyway. By limiting the number of people, it made it very easy to draw the line on who was or was not coming. The other thing that worked well for us was having almost all of the details in place before telling anyone. That way when they wanted to offer "suggestions", I could honestly tell them that it was already taken care of. One thing I would suggest considering is selecting a friend or family member to be the troubleshooter. Allow that person to handle any issues so that you can do your best to enjoy the day. Something will happen at some point during the day and having someone else deal with it, without bringing it to you, is a huge bonus in enjoying the event.

• Like 1

Gents, you should start a "Wedding planning...for guys" thread. I could tell you some stuff.

My wifey and I will celebrate our 18th anniversary in June. There are two things you need to remember:

1. It's just one day. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter much.

2. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I'm talking about your fiancée. Your mothers are your fathers' problems.

Thanks for that. Its really just my mom that is driving me nuts. She thinks my cousin knows everything there is to know about weddings and every time she talks to her she calls me and says "your cousin said..." I always respond with " Okay thanks I will put it in the suggestion box". Eventually I will get a phone call from my dad telling me to stop being an ass to her. Its frustrating because if I take the side of my mom my fiancé and I argue and she calls me a mommas boy and if I take the side of my fiancé my mom gets all pissed and then my dad calls me. At least my dad and I understand each other and I can talk to him like a normal person where I have to sometimes where kid gloves with my mom.

Your Dad has been married to your Mom a long time. He gets it.

I love that I can now relate to my Dad on an adult level and we can give each other advice. It's pretty awesome.

3. Women are crazy. I hope you both picked a woman whose crazy is at a level you are comfortable with. (not that men don't have our quirks...but women are crazy)

Thats more or less why I stopped including my parents in anything at this point. Just give them little tidbits of information about what we did. "We just found a photographer, well talk to you soon, love ya mom bye!" No chance to ask the thousand questions she thinks I didn't cover.

Smart.

For some reason, the wedding is the "one day every little girl dreams about". I don't get it, but I'm a guy. Your mom and her mom are living vicariously through this experience. In some ways, you need to put your foot down; in others, just roll with the punches. Remember, it's just one day.

The best parts of it will be realized YEARS later. You're starting to learn the art of compromise.

Honestly, we don't even look at our wedding photos all that much. We got married in 1997, in the infancy of digital photography, and all of ours was negatives and prints. You want several "wallhanger" portraits because you'll be looking at them for the next 50+ years. My favorites were the one of just us, and one of both of our families. The rest don't matter. Even the ones with the wedding party. I was moderately (but not severely) inebriated at my brother's wedding and climbed on the roof of the reception hall with a DSLR and got a very cool group photo of everyone out on the lawn...it was a wallhanger. :)

The very best weddings I have been to were the week-long parties where all your closest friends and the family members you like (ideally including your fathers) get together and hang out and explore the area. It's not like a weeklong bender, but liquid refreshments can be involved for those inclined. The wedding ends up being the cap for an amazing week. We did a float trip for my brother's bachelor party and then ran 3 more rivers over the next week, hit a rodeo, small town parade, and several picnics. Another friend's pre-wedding festivities included a float trip, a gun range, an overnight 4-wheeling trip, and more guns.

The least memorable ones were the stuffy fancy ones with place settings and rigid reception schedules.

Be yourselves. Have a wedding and reception that fits the two of you. This is not the time to pretend to play dress-up if you're not that kind of people. Or, if you are, do it.

Oh yeah, and if you're not already living together, be VERY careful of how things are done the first week you cohabit. The side of the bed you sleep on and which way the toilet paper is rolled will be locked in stone for the next 50+ years. No, really.

One thing I would suggest considering is selecting a friend or family member to be the troubleshooter. Allow that person to handle any issues so that you can do your best to enjoy the day. Something will happen at some point during the day and having someone else deal with it, without bringing it to you, is a huge bonus in enjoying the event.

This would be a great role of the best man and maid of honor, especially if they're great friends of yours and know your wishes without having to ask...even better if the two of them get along and could function as a team. This used to be part of their official roles, but were supplanted by "wedding planners".

Oh, and challenge the maid/matron of honor to put some thought into their toasts, instead of the yucky gushing stereotypical "Oh, she's my bestest friend and I love her and Joe makes her so happy and <tears> I'm so happy for her!"...while the best man has everyone in stitches, including grandma.

Oh, and another thing for the best man, aside from hitting on the bridesmaids. You are going to set your drink down to visit with Aunt Betty or to dance with your flower girls...and one of the caterers/family members/wait staff is going to toss it. Make sure the best man hands you a fresh one...somebody paid for an open bar, you may as well enjoy it a bit. At the same time, make sure he also alternately hands you a bottle of water. You don't want to pass out drunk on your wedding night!

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how far along you are with planning or where you're getting married but if you need any suggestions on anything let me know, we're almost finished at this point and just waiting on the date to get here and have been fortunate enough to lock up some really quality vendors.

Smart. We are more or less done with all the big stuff/ important stuff. We are getting married october 3rd so now its just the little things. The thing that sent me over the edge was we went and did the flowers this passed weekend and we are saving a ton of money by only having people in the wedding wear them no extravagant center pieces or anything like that. So we booked a corsage for the mothers to wear and then my mom talked to my cousin and my cousin said "corsages are old school tell him you want a nosegay" To which I reply "WTF is a nosegay?" and apparently its a smaller bouquet than a bridesmaid bouquet. Now I personally do not care what my mom wears/ carries doesn't carry, but I know my fiancé won't like the idea. The other part that bothers me is this wasn't even talked about until after we booked them and if it was such a big deal then why was it not talked about prior to booking. Now the florist is my best friends mom and a simple phone call can change the order slightly however its getting my fiancé and mom both on board with the same idea thats the challenge.

It's probably better that you aren't from the same family. :laugh:

Seriously though, I've seen meddling family members make way too many weddings uncomfortable for the people getting married. My wife and I made virtually all of the arrangements for our wedding and had a very limited guest list. Doing that pissed off a lot of my family, but they were people that I rarely, if ever, saw or hung out with anyway. By limiting the number of people, it made it very easy to draw the line on who was or was not coming. The other thing that worked well for us was having almost all of the details in place before telling anyone. That way when they wanted to offer "suggestions", I could honestly tell them that it was already taken care of. One thing I would suggest considering is selecting a friend or family member to be the troubleshooter. Allow that person to handle any issues so that you can do your best to enjoy the day. Something will happen at some point during the day and having someone else deal with it, without bringing it to you, is a huge bonus in enjoying the event.

haha thanks chad that made me laugh. Thanks for the tip on a troubleshooter. My fiancé and I are pretty go with the flow type of people myself more than her. I don't really care and don't get overly worked up about stuff. We have a relatively small guest list compared to other family weddings I have been to so that helps.

Gents, you should start a "Wedding planning...for guys" thread. I could tell you some stuff.

My wifey and I will celebrate our 18th anniversary in June. There are two things you need to remember:

1. It's just one day. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter much.

2. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I'm talking about your fiancée. Your mothers are your fathers' problems.

Your Dad has been married to your Mom a long time. He gets it.

I love that I can now relate to my Dad on an adult level and we can give each other advice. It's pretty awesome.

3. Women are crazy. I hope you both picked a woman whose crazy is at a level you are comfortable with. (not that men don't have our quirks...but women are crazy)

Smart.

For some reason, the wedding is the "one day every little girl dreams about". I don't get it, but I'm a guy. Your mom and her mom are living vicariously through this experience. In some ways, you need to put your foot down; in others, just roll with the punches. Remember, it's just one day.

The best parts of it will be realized YEARS later. You're starting to learn the art of compromise.

Honestly, we don't even look at our wedding photos all that much. We got married in 1997, in the infancy of digital photography, and all of ours was negatives and prints. You want several "wallhanger" portraits because you'll be looking at them for the next 50+ years. My favorites were the one of just us, and one of both of our families. The rest don't matter. Even the ones with the wedding party. I was moderately (but not severely) inebriated at my brother's wedding and climbed on the roof of the reception hall with a DSLR and got a very cool group photo of everyone out on the lawn...it was a wallhanger. :)

The very best weddings I have been to were the week-long parties where all your closest friends and the family members you like (ideally including your fathers) get together and hang out and explore the area. It's not like a weeklong bender, but liquid refreshments can be involved for those inclined. The wedding ends up being the cap for an amazing week. We did a float trip for my brother's bachelor party and then ran 3 more rivers over the next week, hit a rodeo, small town parade, and several picnics. Another friend's pre-wedding festivities included a float trip, a gun range, an overnight 4-wheeling trip, and more guns.

The least memorable ones were the stuffy fancy ones with place settings and rigid reception schedules.

Be yourselves. Have a wedding and reception that fits the two of you. This is not the time to pretend to play dress-up if you're not that kind of people. Or, if you are, do it.

Oh yeah, and if you're not already living together, be VERY careful of how things are done the first week you cohabit. The side of the bed you sleep on and which way the toilet paper is rolled will be locked in stone for the next 50+ years. No, really.

MThockeydad aint it the truth. Yes woman are crazy. It is really nice that my dad and I understand each other. I already told him to tell my mom to stop talking to my cousin about my wedding and just show up and enjoy it. And 30 years from now you won't remember the stuff you didn't like about it. I am very excited for pre wedding festivities. My brother and friends have planned exactly want I wanted for a bachelor party which is just a beach house with a BBQ. I want very low key nothing too crazy.

Thanks everyone for the support. Its nice to have this.

The best picture from our wedding day was a full group picture with everyone who decided to join us. Just before the photo was taken someone made a joke at one end of the group and the picture got snapped as the laughter was making its way down the line. It captured what it is supposed to be all about, fun with those closest to you.

• Like 2

We got married in a hotel room, with only two witnesses and the official present. There were 8 people at the wedding party after the ceremony.

Most of our family members found about it afterwards, including my wife's parents. We just didn't want to make it a big deal. Ninja wedding :ph34r:

• Like 2