Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Luckily my fiance' and I have already been living together, we get along fine, having my grandmother in the mix is a story that could fill a chapter on the Venting Spot. (I'm grateful it's worked out like this however sometimes you need to let the steam out haha) the best tips we received have mostly been restated here: getting someone to field questions the day of, I told my fiance' who is very worried about people not liking something my groomsman who was a fighter and stands at 6'4" off skates will be wearing a button that says complaint department. I will also be relegating a groomsman to handling final payments that day.

Strose: we're not doing real flowers, the 50% off sales at Michael's and 7 Michael's later we got every flower we need for the wedding. Guys are wearing pocket squares not flowers.

• Like 1

See I said no flowers for the guys and then my fiancé, my fiancé's mother and my mom all looked at me and told me I was crazy and that we will be wearing flowers. I wasn't going to put up an argument over something so dumb as guys pinning a flower to their jacket not worth my time or effort.

Enjoy weddings so much, have had a few of them....

My advice, it's your wife's day, let her have the wedding she wants. Guys don't grow up thinking about their wedding day. Unless the request(s) is just batchit crazy, just say yes and smile.

• Like 2

Enjoy weddings so much, have had a few of them....

My advice, it's your wife's day, let her have the wedding she wants. Guys don't grow up thinking about their wedding day. Unless the request(s) is just batchit crazy, just say yes and smile.

I've definitely let her take the lead on everything. I just step in when she gets overly stressed, like last week when she saw our venue on Say Yes to the Dress (didn't know our venue was even popular enough to be on TV) and thought "It looks so bare there were no decorations or lights hanging or anything" to which I had to remind her that the first question she asked when we sat with the venue was can we hang lights/decorate how we want and they said of course. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Got married at the Lake Co. Courthouse. Justice of the Peace. 65 bucks. Chinese food after. Wife's idea. Simple, fast, no drama.

• Like 3

My wife was late to our wedding.....and her parents house, where she was getting ready, was across the street from the church

• Like 3

Been married over 30 years. Truth is wedding day really not that important in big picture.

Yup.

Roll with whatever mom in law says and you will be fine.

I respectfully disagree on this point. Do whatever your fiancée wants. If she disagrees with her mother, take your fiancée's side. This is an important step in her cutting the umbilical cord.

(This is something we guys don't really get, but they actually have to do it.)

However, don't take your future MIL on head-to-head.

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 2

Yup.

I respectfully disagree on this point. Do whatever your fiancée wants. If she disagrees with her mother, take your fiancée's side. This is an important step in her cutting the umbilical cord.

(This is something we guys don't really get, but they actually have to do it.)

However, don't take your future MIL on head-to-head.

See I am lucky my future MIL takes my side over my fiancé every time. She does the same with my future brother in law. She has always taken the men's side over the woman side. But what do you do when your fiance and your mother don't agree? WW3?

You do your best to stay the hell out of it. That is a lose-lose situation for you. Taking either side will result in resentment from whomever you didn't side with.

• Like 3

over-analyzing interview questions. I have this thing, where every interview I have been on, I take a question and think they are looking for a deep answer when really its just a simple answer they want. This time it was particularly bad, as I got my brain muddied by my current position and some similar terminology. It was like being in quick sand, especially in front of someone I know and have worked under before, to not be able to answer the question properly was disheartening to me.

Its like I think they want me to get up and good will hunting style fix a complex problem in front of them on the board, when really they just wanted a few simple answers. At least I have the second interview to try and break the streak.

You could try to have someone practice interview you . Don't try to assume too much. If the question seems vague you can ask them a question too to help contextualize the answer.

• Like 1

After two weeks of travel for work followed by travel for TWO funerals (on different ends of the continent of course), and two whole days at home, my first flight of this week is delayed. Because why not at this point?

Edited by OptimusReim