Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

whats funny about that is the same guy brings the beer every week. When he skips a game usually are captain brings the beer. I always feel bad taking one and I have said to him if he ever wants to take a week off just let me know. He responded with "I like bringing the beer it makes me feel important. It makes me feel like I contributed to the team, and makes up for my lack in skill"

If that's the agreement, great. But if their is not a verbal, if you're drinking beer, you probably should take a turn and bring beer.

• Like 1

Worked my first cardiac arrest on Sunday, and still working on processing it. Very new, very intense experience. Wish I could spend the week playing hockey and sorting my emotions out before I go back on my next shift, unfortunately that's not feasible.

• Like 2

Been a firefighter for a long time. Learn to box it up and send it away. Not good to dwell. Process and dispose,

Along with that, remember the survivability of cardiac arrest is low. Run through the algorithms and you've made the best attempt you can.

Do you have a counsellor or chaplain in your fire house? Not sure if that is common practice or not, but (having never been involved in such a situation) I'd assume talking through your experiences, especially early in your career is a good idea. PTSD is not uncommon in any line of work that deals with and faces life and death situations.

Along with that, remember the survivability of cardiac arrest is low. Run through the algorithms and you've made the best attempt you can.

Yeah, in the last ten years I'm 0 for 8.

I'm not a firefighter - I work for a private ambulance company. The company does have people, but I actually have a therapist of my own anyway, and I do feel better much better today after hashing it out with him. I know I did the best CPR I could (the medics, my FTO and the ER staff all told me this).

Mainly, it's just a new situation that I have no frame of reference for, and I'm trying to take stock of it so I have a context next time I work a code. I am eager to work again (Tuesday), not worried about that.

• Like 1

I'm a civilian and was the first car upon the scene of a tractor-trailer turnover three years ago. I pulled the driver out, and his wife was impaled by the guardrail below him.

Messed me up.

I'm on the board of the local fire district, and the fire station chaplain was a HUGE help to me. They can relate in a way that a civilian counselor probably can't.

Do talk to the counselor for the company.

What were the patient's chances before you arrived? Near zero.

What were the patient's chances when you got there? You pushed it to near 50-50. You did your best and there was nothing more you could do.

Thank you for your service to your community. While you are not on the ice and there are no pluses and minuses in your work, I do hope you get a save soon.

Been a firefighter for a long time. Learn to box it up and send it away. Not good to dwell. Process and dispose,

(But do process it before boxing it up and sending it away!!)

Emotions make us human, so they have to be dealt with...so deal with them, and get straight and square for that next human who desperately needs your skills and intellect.

Gallows humor seems brash to civilians, but it is what keeps many emergency responders and soldiers sane.

If it helps you, use it; especially if it helps you to voice your emotions, get them out, process them, and move forward.

• Like 5

I'm not a firefighter - I work for a private ambulance company. The company does have people, but I actually have a therapist of my own anyway, and I do feel better much better today after hashing it out with him. I know I did the best CPR I could (the medics, my FTO and the ER staff all told me this).

Mainly, it's just a new situation that I have no frame of reference for, and I'm trying to take stock of it so I have a context next time I work a code. I am eager to work again (Tuesday), not worried about that.

I've been a full-time firefighter/emt for a decade in an area that has a very high rate of fatalities. Find your way to get the stress out. Everyone is different but it has to get out. Wait until you deliver a baby, it will make you forget about the 100's of dead people you are going to run into in this line of work. It's a pretty cool thing to see life come into the world as opposed to leaving it.

• Like 2

Kids start school today....the reminder that summer is technically over.

Just saw my schedule this fall/winter for coaching and chauffeuring my two oldest kids around....

Holy Crap!

Can't even imagine what it will look like when my little one ages in...she just turned 4 yesterday.

Edited by Zylos45
  • Like 3

Just saw my schedule this fall/winter for coaching and chauffeuring my two oldest kids around....

Holy Crap!

Can't even imagine what it will look like when my little one ages in...she just turned 4 yesterday.

That makes me laugh. It's great and a pain, all at the same time.

Wouldn't change it for the World. Been plugging stuff into the calendar & it looks like a mess of time.

• Like 2

Holy Crap!

Wish I could go back to those days.

• Like 1

1 month left until I take the MCAT and I am starting to get burned out. 5-7 hours of studying every night after work is tiring. Not to mention I have so much more to review. Beginning to feel overwhelmed and my confidence/morale is slowly declining....... :(

Edited by kovalchuk71
  • Like 3

1 month left until I take the MCAT and I am starting to get burned out. 5-7 hours of studying every night after work is tiring. Not to mention I have so much more to review. Beginning to feel overwhelmed and my confidence/morale is slowly declining....... :(

Chin up laddie, always darkest before the dawn and all that. You'll do fine. Stop for a minute, fill your canteen, take a drink, shoulder your pack and keep going. You can do it.

• Like 4

You got this. It'll pay off in the end. :smile: Sometimes it's good to take a day off, then start your mind fresh on the review.

• Like 3

I feel like I'm herding cats.

Now on the local youth association board and took on the Programs committee. Trying to coordinate managers, coaches, and teams.

3 of the teams were short players and merged with the other local association's teams who were also short players, so we combined. So far, so good.

One more of our teams has 13 players but needs a head coach. Other Association has 4-5 players and an awesome head coach.

Our manager wants their coach but not really their players.

No. You are not putting me in this position, dude.

• Like 2

This is a petty whine and means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things, but FUCK, CAN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS GO ANY SLOWER?

I WANT TO GET ON THE FUCKING ICE!!!

COME ON September 8!!!!

• Like 1

This is a petty whine and means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things, but FUCK, CAN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS GO ANY SLOWER?I WANT TO GET ON THE FUCKING ICE!!!COME ON September 8!!!!

Ummm. Yeah. What he said....

• Like 1

MassHealth: Renew on time to avoid a gap in coverage!

Me: *renews well within the deadline*

MassHealth: Okay, you've got your MassHealth, now enroll in a plan!

Me: *enrolls*

MassHealth: Oh hey so, your plan doesn't go into effect until October 1st, enjoy a month-long gap in all but the most essential coverage.

:facepalm:

^^^ know what, not really a comment on that stuff or whatever, but I skated on my first NEW ice last weekend. They dump everything and do a new sheet every Summer and the guy I do a private drop in with, opened the ice for our drop in....it was so odd during the warm up..... Looked like you were 1/4" above the surface. First time I'd ever done that. I was late the next day(would have been the 2nd skate on the ice), so didn't see if it changed much.

Anyway...just worth a mention.

Sorry for your delay.

Say "they", guess my home ice. I have 6 sheets(5 rinks) within 15-20 minutes. But AFAIK, they all do this.

Edited by EJB
  • Like 1

So last month I had a few suspect charges on my credit card at places I have never been (card was always in my posession). Fraud prevention did a great job getting my money back. Now I noticed today that about $100 of charges have shown up on my debit card, and this is the best part, from Tokyo Japan. Once again, card has never left my posession. Starting to get annoyed. Only thing I can think of is that I somehow keep running into people with a RFID gismo that pulls my card info.

Dealing with ear problems the last couple days. Normally not a major problem, but when you spend half your life flying, not so much fun.