Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Not the news I was expecting after logging on after a long hiatus (due to some personal issues in my life as well).

Sorry for you loss Chadd.

Finally had my surgery today. Had a hernia repair and removed a suture from my second liver transplant.

Very sore nut hopefully I'm finally on the right path now. :smile:

• Like 2

I've come to this thread a few times and still haven't found words that don't feel hollow and empty. Chadd, my sympathy is with you.

Chadd, since last Saturday I can't get this thread out of my mind. I don't know you, but can't help but worry about how you are managing. Im sending you all good JuJu and hope you are managing as well. Thoughts with you and your family.

Chadd, I don't even know where to begin, man. I could say something, but everything I could go with has already been said. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Now, for why I came here to vent. Couldn't afford to play college hockey this year, so I got to sit at home and check stats of the team at their preseason tournament. It kills me to not be playing this year...

Wow... I was planning to come here and vent about how men's league hockey has basically become a sanctuary for the civilly challenged and how I'm basically done with it - I guess I sort of have - but that seems so ridiculously trivial compared to Chadd.

You know, it's actually quite strange I never crossed paths with you (knowingly anyway) being so close by and all. I don't think I could ever offer up any sort of proper consolation, but if I bump into you, I'd be glad to buy you a beer, man.

Thanks to everyone for the PMs, emails, text messages and calls. Having the support of so many people has certainly made a difference.

Wow... I was planning to come here and vent about how men's league hockey has basically become a sanctuary for the civilly challenged and how I'm basically done with it - I guess I sort of have - but that seems so ridiculously trivial compared to Chadd.

You know, it's actually quite strange I never crossed paths with you (knowingly anyway) being so close by and all. I don't think I could ever offer up any sort of proper consolation, but if I bump into you, I'd be glad to buy you a beer, man.

The league at Lancaster Ice Rink used to be really laid back, it may be worth checking out to see if that is still the case. If I get over to play some golf at Groff Farms again, I'll let you know and take you up on that beer. I know the league at Twin Ponds keeps getting worse by the year and York was a freak show when I played down there.

I don't think lower level hockey players have any idea of just how difficult it is to officiate their games. 75% of the penalties are pure judgement calls because I'm honestly unsure if the player was doing something on purpose or simply can't skate. I get complained at all night and it really starts to frustrate me. Keeping the calls consistent is so difficult.

Oh, and most of them think they are NHL caliber skaters who would never fall on their own.

/rant

• Like 3

I kind of feel your pain. I play in a low level league and some of the shit our refs have to put up with is terrible. On behalf of the players who aren't asshats I'm sorry man lol

LOL. I appreciate that. It's just frustrating when I get "scolded" after the game by players due to all of the calls I supposedly missed. *rolls eyes*

If they wanted me to call everything I saw, the entire game would be a powerplay/penalty kill.

• Like 1

I would tell guys up front that I was a hard ass and was going to call everything I saw. I also tried to take the instigator in just about every situation I could, rather than just match up minor penalties on both teams. It didn't take long for guys to figure it out and the games I worked were generally pretty enjoyable. The only guys that complained over the long term were the ones that committed a penalty on pretty much every shift they took. Pushing, shoving, bumping; that's just hockey, deal with it. Slashing, boarding, cross-checking, go to the box.

I also told guys that I would tell them why I made any call if they asked, but I wasn't going to argue with them. And "WTF" does not qualify as a question, that qualifies as another two minutes.

• Like 1

One problem I see with a lot of refs is that they just show up at low level games for the paycheck. If you are going to do that stay home. When these refs are there they give no respect to the players or game so they get very little in return. They don't talk to players and explain what they did wrong, most just yell "go to the box". If the low level guy doesn't understand what he did then he can't correct it. If the player argues, explain that you're not going to be talked to or treated that way, call the penalty and skate off. To many refs think it's a war of words. It's frustrating for players to get called for a penalty and then the next guys gets off because "he can't skate well". A penalty is a penalty. You don't have to call them all, just be consistent. Control the game before it starts. Go to each bench before the puck drops and tell them civilly what you expect and what you will not tolerate.

It is by no means an easy job, especially because it is a fast and emotional game. The best refs are the ones who do it because they love the game and communicate with the players. If there is a scrum for the puck tell them "keep it moving", if you see a penalty that you're not going to call tell the player "watch the hooking" or "watch whatever". Same for the crease action. It helps to hear "out of the crease". Part of reffing low level games should be helping to teach the game. And it's always nice as a player for the ref to say something positive to them occasionally "nice goal", "nice breakout". Give respect, get respect.

Edited by chk hrd
  • Like 3

In the midst of an uncomfortable situation at the non-ambulance job. A recent transplant (vaguely managerial but not actually my supervisor - he was sent by our corporate overlords to "improve" us) keeps trying to intimidate me with vague threats about my job security and has now flat-out lied to me by saying that my co-workers have told him I am "cold" and "disrespectful" to customers. (since no one had ever told me this - and I have in fact been commended several times for my good customer service - I asked my co-workers and boss their opinions and they were just as bewildered as I was.) So either my boss and co-workers are lying, or the new guy is lying, and I don't know why, and I'm meeting with him and my boss later this week. :unsure: I really do like my job, and I'd like to keep it.

Got elbowed in the face about a month ago towards the end of a game. I was done for the night because of how woozy I felt. No concussion this time, thankfully, but there is definitely something wrong with my neck. Tight muscles in my neck/shoulder and a dull pain when the muscles relax. It has me a bit worried.

The worst part, no penalty on the play. "It wasn't intentional" was apparently the excuse. I do not care if it was intentional or not... It was still an elbow to the chin/jaw.

Edited by JoeyJ0506

Got elbowed in the face about a month ago towards the end of a game.

I will never take my cage off for this exact reason. I can't count how many times I've taken an elbow or a butt end of a stick off my cage. Seems like there is less recoil to the neck when there are metal bars in front of my face.

...if you see a penalty that you're not going to call tell the player "watch the hooking" or "watch whatever".

I agree with everything except that part. If it's definitely a penalty, you call it. If it's borderline, then you tell them to be careful. Nothing worse than getting a stick to the side of the head and hearing "keep the stick down" from the ref.

I will never take my cage off for this exact reason. I can't count how many times I've taken an elbow or a butt end of a stick off my cage. Seems like there is less recoil to the neck when there are metal bars in front of my face.

I got a two handed chop to the head that cracked my helmet the other night, no call because "there were only a couple seconds left in the game"

Maybe it is just shit luck...or I (and everyone else) get more careless wearing a cage. I have never been hit in the face with a puck, elbow, stick or anything in almost 15 years wearing a visor. In the league where I have to wear a cage, probably a couple times a year I take something square in the jaw/mouth area.

I think my head is a magnet in the sports I play. When I played baseball in school I had a grounder pop up and hit me in the teeth at least once a week, or I'd get hit in the head with a pitch if the baseball gods felt spiteful that day.

Honestly, with how hard I got hit, I was going to get whiplash... cage or no cage.

When you go outside to shoot some pucks around but you can’t even make it more than 10 minutes without being in intense pain from a back injury from a car accident that was a year ago... oh and you were just about to start playing on a club team at university after not playing since May 2013. Awesome.

I would tell guys up front that I was a hard ass and was going to call everything I saw. I also tried to take the instigator in just about every situation I could, rather than just match up minor penalties on both teams. It didn't take long for guys to figure it out and the games I worked were generally pretty enjoyable. The only guys that complained over the long term were the ones that committed a penalty on pretty much every shift they took. Pushing, shoving, bumping; that's just hockey, deal with it. Slashing, boarding, cross-checking, go to the box.

I also told guys that I would tell them why I made any call if they asked, but I wasn't going to argue with them. And "WTF" does not qualify as a question, that qualifies as another two minutes.

I would do the same with guys who started stuff. They'd always have the first minor and whatever followed would be extra penalties. I found the best way to calm scrums was with a "next shot gets the extra". It works like a charm, especially after the first time some guy tests you on it.

• Like 1