Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Pityriasis Rosea. Ugh. I look like I've had chicken pox for the past 3 weeks. Takes up to 9 weeks to completely go away too :( . It's not annoying (itchy, etc.), it just looks awful.

• Like 1

Having a $400 and a $700 dslr lenses fall out of your backpack when you think it's closed and of course, they get majorly damaged. Then, have the model flake on you last minute when the project is due at the end of the night...

Frustrating day with a partner who treated me like a complete idiot because I didn't know how to trigger the stretcher on my own (usually, the stretcher is raised or lowered with two people) - like, look, I'm sorry, but usually, since EMTs work in pairs, I've never seen it or had occasion to do it.

I know the guy is experienced and all, but that doesn't give him license to be a tool. My FTO, for example, was a hardass, but not a tool.

(side note: yes, I know being mistaken for 10+ years younger is all well and good when you're 45 or 50, but I'm 29, and it's tiring when people perceive me as too young to even buy scratch tickets or vote.)

Went to lock up the store after a long day and my key somehow bent in half in my pocket. Of course the other manager that lives five minutes from the store couldn't be bothered to answer the phone, so I had to sit there for an hour till the other manager got there to lock the door. Come home and a random car that is parked on my street is sitting there laying on the horn every 5 minutes (it is midnight btw). Had enough after a half hour of that, called the non emergency number and had a cop come out and tell them to shut the hell up. What a wonderful evening.

• Like 1

When you're suspended one game because you mouthed off to the ref for calling 3 extremely soft penalties. We are talking lifting the stick is a hooking call. I was told after my first soft tripping call I was on a short leash that night. I'm not sure what I did to the refs, but I'm the one paying for it.

Frustrating day with a partner who treated me like a complete idiot because I didn't know how to trigger the stretcher on my own (usually, the stretcher is raised or lowered with two people) - like, look, I'm sorry, but usually, since EMTs work in pairs, I've never seen it or had occasion to do it.

I know the guy is experienced and all, but that doesn't give him license to be a tool. My FTO, for example, was a hardass, but not a tool.

(side note: yes, I know being mistaken for 10+ years younger is all well and good when you're 45 or 50, but I'm 29, and it's tiring when people perceive me as too young to even buy scratch tickets or vote.)

Did they not teach you triggers in school?! Stretchers are very finicky when trying to learn; I can't believe they didn't drill it into your head! My best advice is if you have any down time, or before/after a shift practice it for as long as you can. After a few days you'll feel fine on the trigger end. I remember when I was learning in the hospital the medics would say to raise it up "2 clicks" or whatever and I would usually send it four clicks up or another two down haha! Stick it with and you'll be fine!

Did they not teach you triggers in school?! Stretchers are very finicky when trying to learn; I can't believe they didn't drill it into your head! My best advice is if you have any down time, or before/after a shift practice it for as long as you can. After a few days you'll feel fine on the trigger end. I remember when I was learning in the hospital the medics would say to raise it up "2 clicks" or whatever and I would usually send it four clicks up or another two down haha! Stick it with and you'll be fine!

No no that's not what I mean - the end trigger, that's fine. I can do that in my sleep. Our stretchers, though, have a side-trigger, I guess you'd call it - hidden under the mattress - that can be used if one person needs to lower it, for whatever reason. They didn't show us that in orientation - might've in EMS school, but I can't recall - and I hadn't seen it done because with two EMTs on generally non-emergent calls, there wasn't any need to. See what I mean?

No no that's not what I mean - the end trigger, that's fine. I can do that in my sleep. Our stretchers, though, have a side-trigger, I guess you'd call it - hidden under the mattress - that can be used if one person needs to lower it, for whatever reason. They didn't show us that in orientation - might've in EMS school, but I can't recall - and I hadn't seen it done because with two EMTs on generally non-emergent calls, there wasn't any need to. See what I mean?

Ahh I see! I know exactly what you're talking about, they are also a bit of a pain and requite a pretty good amount of strength. I'm sure you've been shown by now, but the key is to lift and then squeeze the trigger. If you're fine with the end triggers then you'll pick up the side trigger no problem. As far as the grumpy partner there's not much you can do, unfortunately every job as them. The longer you stay on the job slowly they start to dwindle

Now I have seen the side trigger, it's fine. I just hadn't seen it before, as it was never previously relevant.

Pretty much everyone hates the guy, but he's been working for the company forever and is competent enough that he won't get fired. As I'm sure you know, "competent EMT/Paramedic" and "plays well with others" do not always go together.

Electric went out three times in 5 minutes on Thursday night and it killed my desktop computer. Fortunately, it was only the motherboard that got fried and I am in the process of putting the data on my new computer. A much, much faster machine, but it's still a lot of work that I didn't want to do.

Electric went out three times in 5 minutes on Thursday night and it killed my desktop computer. Fortunately, it was only the motherboard that got fried and I am in the process of putting the data on my new computer. A much, much faster machine, but it's still a lot of work that I didn't want to do.

No surge protection?

I have a whole bunch of muscle relaxants left over from the last time this happened. It helps a lot, but my functional day is still shot, half from discomfort and half from being rendered an amoeba by the muscle relaxants.

you should try electric muscle stimulation. Muscle Stim pads worked wonders for me. my whole lower back was locked up for months before i finally went to a chiropractor. finally moving and twisting again. i have a huge back spasm two weeks ago, i took out the EMS she have me and cranked it up, boom two days all better. just make sure you're set at the correct frequency or it will do nothing. do you have a chiropractor you trust?

my other suggestion in MOIST heat. dry heating packs will actually draw moisture out on the muscle making it worse. Get a wet towel (well, ring it out so its not dripping) fold it up and pop it into the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, them pop it on the aggravated spot.

• Like 1

Thanks. Last time this happened it cleared in a few days, and the fact that I'm already absurdly flexible helps - easy to stretch things out when your normal range of motion verges on "Dominik Hasek". :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks. Last time this happened it cleared in a few days, and the fact that I'm already absurdly flexible helps - easy to stretch things out when your normal range of motion verges on "Dominik Hasek". :smile:

wow good for you!! my flexibility is more like that of an Ottoman (or) Hassock.

At my gym job (where I work in the daycare), new mom left new kid - just over a year, hasn't been to the gym, hasn't met me - and, naturally, kid has a meltdown approximately .25 seconds after mom leaves. Technically, after ten minutes of screaming/crying, we are supposed to fetch the parent. In practice, this can't always happen since to find parent you must have coverage for daycare, which isn't usually available. But one of the other moms went to talk to her and relayed that kiddle's mom wants him to get used to being left for an hour. Kid screams hysterically for 20 minutes. Other children are upset by the crying. Nearly all my attention is on trying to soothe the kiddle. Eventually, he stopped, but then started up again until his mom came. What a nightmare. Usually, with first-time littles (in particular, the 8 month - 18 month stage) mom or dad checks in regularly, which is helpful, and kind of ease the kid into being at the daycare. Occasionally, like yesterday, I get left with a screaming little one who is firmly convinced that mommy is gone forever. It's exhausting, and his mom was like well, I don't want him to be clingy, I want him to be independent - please he is a year old and having a hysterical meltdown, can we have some compromise here? I mean yeah we all want to get our workout in, and I understand it's difficult to get kiddle dressed, fed, down to the gym, etc. But it's not fair to anyone for the little one to be screaming for most of an hour. (props to parents. I could not do this 24/7. also folks with babies must have the most muscular arms I swear.)

I am happy to comfort a crying child, rock a baby for 45 minutes, whatever, as that is what one does, but if the resolution to the crying is 'mommy/daddy returns' then that's something I can't fix myself, and then everyone is sad because not toys, cuddles, music, or elmo is going to help. :sad:

• Like 1

You have incredible patience.

Several parents have told me this.

I think it's probably easier to be patient when you know that you can give the child back to their parent eventually.