Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Had extra kids almost 4 years ago, and was told that I had to put my hockey 'career' on hold indefinitely. Finally managed to get some time at the rink lately, with the older kid agreeing to give it a try. Back on the ice, having a great time with some of the other guys who are just starting out, and this week managing to finally get some speed and control with edges. Was not too happy with the 5 on 5 scrimmage on half the rink, but at least I got to play. Was then asked to sign up for the league, most likely putting me on a third tier team which would be fun... wife now says best not to get to playing especially since the games are on thursday nights, and training is Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Howdy,

Broke my collarbone on tuesday due to a blindside open ice hit before I touched the puck. Sucks.

Blech. That does suck. How long are you out? Did they have to screw/plate it?

Mark

Took a two handed "shove" as I was going into the corner to dig out the puck in open hockey and hit the boards pretty hard. Luckily I got my feet cleared to prevent an ankle injury, my right knee took the impact and is two sizes larger than normal and very tender. This would have been a penalty in league play and clearly uncalled for in open hockey.

This was an hour and 25 minutes into a 90 minute session so I got a good skate in and doesn't look to be anything serious.

People who don't show up for work which causes a delayed opening of the store, then complain that they don't get enough hours.

Most places where I've worked, that would lead to zero hours after the second offense, maybe even the first.

• Like 1

Most places where I've worked, that would lead to zero hours after the second offense, maybe even the first.

Exactly. Corporate attendance policies that are too lenient is another vent on its own, but things usually have a way of working themselves out in cases such as this. As they say, give them enough rope...

This garbage has no place in hockey let alone a recreation league. This is the second time this player has attacked one of mine and both times he went after someone who didn't do anything. He was high sticked (by accident by a not very good player) when he was tying up another players stick it rode up his arms into his face, then he goes full lumberjack mode.

End result is being kicked out of this game... he'll be back next time. Players like this is why my girl friend and I had to leave a league where we actually fit in skill wise to one of a much lower level (which still has it's issues). Adults need to grow up.

https://youtu.be/qgYp-bmXXPw?t=2m57s

This garbage has no place in hockey let alone a recreation league. This is the second time this player has attacked one of mine and both times he went after someone who didn't do anything. He was high sticked (by accident by a not very good player) when he was tying up another players stick it rode up his arms into his face, then he goes full lumberjack mode.

End result is being kicked out of this game... he'll be back next time. Players like this is why my girl friend and I had to leave a league where we actually fit in skill wise to one of a much lower level (which still has it's issues). Adults need to grow up.

DAMN!!! that some BS right there!! don't know I would have remained that calm as a teammate or as the strikee. but i guess, if you don't go down you don't get the call...

where I'm from, there would have been a parking lot party for that guy after the game

• Like 2

From the size of that swing, I'm not sure staying up was an option.

It wasn't, he was in considerable pain and couldn't really put any weight on his leg right after.

Also, this is what the same player did the last time we played them. Now I understand doing something with the cross check, but this is to a complete bystander, and he was also throwing body checks all game in a no-contact league.

https://youtu.be/GkTAktvBdqk?t=2m46s

You ever think about showing this video to the league & have him kicked out? He's literally a liability to them since you have evidence of his violence & if someone gets injured in the future by him, they have a case for a lawsuit against the league & the prick since it could be argued that its negligent of the league to allow him to keep playing knowing that he is a danger.

You ever think about showing this video to the league & have him kicked out? He's literally a liability to them since you have evidence of his violence & if someone gets injured in the future by him, they have a case for a lawsuit against the league & the prick since it could be argued that its negligent of the league to allow him to keep playing knowing that he is a danger.

I've shown video to the league in other situations, where a ridiculous team that we and other teams complained about sucker punched a girl. Later that season the same team broke my teammates leg in 3 places when 2 guys hit him after the whistle from different directions. Leagues response: "sue us"

I've shown video to the league in other situations, where a ridiculous team that we and other teams complained about sucker punched a girl. Later that season the same team broke my teammates leg in 3 places when 2 guys hit him after the whistle from different directions. Leagues response: "sue us"

Then he should have sued. Those little waivers you sign don't protect the league from negligence. Besides, if this is how your league is run I would find a different league

Then he should have sued. Those little waivers you sign don't protect the league from negligence. Besides, if this is how your league is run I would find a different league

I agree 1000%. But the player didn't want to go forward with it.

This crap is the reason my girl friend and I won't play in it anymore. As a goalie I don't have to really worry about this stuff happening to me. There is only 1 other league in this area with the talent level close to this and it is much better run and the hockey is faster and cleaner. 99% of the teams in this league would get absolutely destroyed in the other one, and until they make another lower division we can't really go anywhere else.

If someone did that to one of our players, the bench would have emptied. Rinks like to assume that you will keep coming back, no matter what they do. If you, and others, feel that this individual has no place in the league, I would tell the rink that you will not have a team if that individual is back next season. Get it in an email or writing, so you can withhold payment if they violate the agreement. I would even consider speaking to a local lawyer (someone on the team has to know one) to see if it is worth pressing assault charges on that guy. You could at least potentially prevent him from playing against you.

• Like 1

If someone did that to one of our players, the bench would have emptied. Rinks like to assume that you will keep coming back, no matter what they do. If you, and others, feel that this individual has no place in the league, I would tell the rink that you will not have a team if that individual is back next season. Get it in an email or writing, so you can withhold payment if they violate the agreement. I would even consider speaking to a local lawyer (someone on the team has to know one) to see if it is worth pressing assault charges on that guy. You could at least potentially prevent him from playing against you.

Rinks here are public, and the leagues rent out the time. The rink won't really do anything or have any say in the matter.

The league doesn't care, and they have lost about 20 teams to a new league forming up. If we withhold payment we simply lose our games.

The only thing that would make a difference would be getting a lawyer involved and the players this has happened to do not want to do that, if this happened to me a couple of this video and others would have been handed over to the police and a lawyer as well as being sent out to any hockey blog or news site I could think of.

But remember this is a hockey setting, so doing anything besides letting it happen on the ice is the "pussy" way out.

There is a guy on one of the teams that we play against who always tends to be overly aggressive and does some cheap things with the "what did I do?" reaction. I don't think there is a guy on our team who doesn't chop or pull some other little maneuver on him anytime we get the chance. We tell him and the one or two teammates of his who still strangely defend him exactly why he is getting the treatment. He is the only guy on his team that we treat that way. The funny thing is even the refs know how much of a dick the kid is so there is a bit of leeway in what transgressions against him are called.

Our department was broken up, so I Got the short end straw on the drawing and was transferred from my department.

Went from super fast paced, where one woman in my department was so overwhelmed she hung up on a coworker mid call and burst into tears. PS. it was awesome.

Where was I transferred to?

The mail room. In a completely different building in the same city at least. Kept the same pay thankfully, but I'm about to stab my eyes out with the scissors they gave me. This shit is so boring that I would start clapping and blowing a horn in cheer if someone spilled paint on the wall and it begins to dry.

On the hilarious side, I actually yawned really hard (folding/sorting mail for 8 hours will do that). So the next day I get a phone call from my boss "I understand that you let it be known yesterday that this job is not challenging enough for you?"

'I never said that man'

"your Yawn did"

'Someone complained about that? Then transfer me to the janitors closet at least I can do something productive there'

Our bench would have cleared from that, if no one on the ice did anything they should be ashamed. I feel your pain. We have one idiot we play against who tries to play tough guy. He got a 30 day suspension for two handing one of my team mates in the back. First game back from suspension and he boards me head first. We came together about 5 feet off the half wall. He gets to his skates first goes back about 10 feet and drive into me as I'm getting up. Fortunately I saw him out of the corner of my eye and was able to minimize his hit. I got up and literally chase him from almost the blue line, behind his net all the way to the bench. The POS wouldn't even stop to face me. He pulls this crap constantly. Always causes problem but won't back up his actions. Pretty much anyone who has a free shot on him tries to take it. At least we all know to keep an eye on him when he's on the ice.

Guys like that are a danger to everyone and it would be better if they just left the game.

Our bench would have cleared from that, if no one on the ice did anything they should be ashamed. I feel your pain. We have one idiot we play against who tries to play tough guy. He got a 30 day suspension for two handing one of my team mates in the back. First game back from suspension and he boards me head first. We came together about 5 feet off the half wall. He gets to his skates first goes back about 10 feet and drive into me as I'm getting up. Fortunately I saw him out of the corner of my eye and was able to minimize his hit. I got up and literally chase him from almost the blue line, behind his net all the way to the bench. The POS wouldn't even stop to face me. He pulls this crap constantly. Always causes problem but won't back up his actions. Pretty much anyone who has a free shot on him tries to take it. At least we all know to keep an eye on him when he's on the ice.

Guys like that are a danger to everyone and it would be better if they just left the game.

There is a simple solution for people like this, ban them. I don't understand why leagues won't do it. It is easy enough for the refs to know who these players are and to not start the game with them.

Rinks here are public, and the leagues rent out the time. The rink won't really do anything or have any say in the matter.

The league doesn't care, and they have lost about 20 teams to a new league forming up. If we withhold payment we simply lose our games.

The only thing that would make a difference would be getting a lawyer involved and the players this has happened to do not want to do that, if this happened to me a couple of this video and others would have been handed over to the police and a lawyer as well as being sent out to any hockey blog or news site I could think of.

But remember this is a hockey setting, so doing anything besides letting it happen on the ice is the "pussy" way out.

If they don't care about things like this, then you need to bail on the league too. Like I said, the guys that I play with wouldn't tolerate something like that. Sadly, it sounds like the best option is to just walk away from the league or team.

• Like 1

I'm not venting, just ughing. I've never not traveled with my '05 and her boys team is rolling this weekend. Man I wish I was there. Flip side, I did travel a bit with her brother and his team won in 3OT to advance to the finals of the Wasatch Cup. Just odd...never sent the girls off.

• Like 1