Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

16 minutes ago, Hills said:

Dangler fixes this ;)

I'm not sure it would have covered that spot enough. It was a stick, too, so the angle was downward. 

Maybe someday... 

To understand my current hell, imagine you're a plumber. A very good plumber. A fairly well respected plumber. Now imagine your plumber boss puts you in a room full of electricians, whom he has of course told that you are a master electrician, and you're asked to diagnose why the breaker panel they just installed isn't working correctly. 

Now imagine that your plumber boss suggests that you saying "I don't know how to do that" means you're not trying hard enough, and that you just need to "get involved" and "provide input". 

Now to finish it off, imagine you can't let the electricians know you don't even know what color wire does what for fear that they'll catch on, and your boss will lose the money that apparently matters more than your reputation or sanity. 

11 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

To understand my current hell, imagine you're a plumber. A very good plumber. A fairly well respected plumber. Now imagine your plumber boss puts you in a room full of electricians, whom he has of course told that you are a master electrician, and you're asked to diagnose why the breaker panel they just installed isn't working correctly. 

Now imagine that your plumber boss suggests that you saying "I don't know how to do that" means you're not trying hard enough, and that you just need to "get involved" and "provide input". 

Now to finish it off, imagine you can't let the electricians know you don't even know what color wire does what for fear that they'll catch on, and your boss will lose the money that apparently matters more than your reputation or sanity. 

It happens too much in tech. Could you use your reputation to be your own "plumber", or do you need your boss' company to line up the jobs? Are they install, initialization, and set-to-work type jobs?

33 minutes ago, ktang said:

It happens too much in tech. Could you use your reputation to be your own "plumber", or do you need your boss' company to line up the jobs? Are they install, initialization, and set-to-work type jobs?

I think I'm just done with consulting. Time to find a local job. Having to miss my Sunday game for this nonsense (I work M-F by the way) is kind of the last straw for me. 

15 hours ago, FREQUENCY247 said:

Cable hockey coverage is complete crap. Apparently womens softball, golf and some sort of video game championship take priority over playoff hockey. 

its probably your market, provider, or some combination of the two. Most days here I have options for up to three games at a time (CBC, NBC, and FSD). If you are talking about highlights via ESPN, that ship has sailed years ago, They don't have NHL broadcast rights, so its not in their best interest to be NHL hype boys. Their entire NHL team is like Melrose and 10% of Buccigross.

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

its probably your market, provider, or some combination of the two. Most days here I have options for up to three games at a time (CBC, NBC, and FSD). If you are talking about highlights via ESPN, that ship has sailed years ago, They don't have NHL broadcast rights, so its not in their best interest to be NHL hype boys. Their entire NHL team is like Melrose and 10% of Buccigross.

I bet it is. This part of the world is not renowned hockey country. Surprisingly though there is a wildly successful amateur hockey culture here in Louisville, just very few realize it. I did catch the Pens game last night so I feel slightly better. There is nothing worse than actually getting time to sit and watch a game, only to flip through and find nothing... end up watching flip or flop with the wife for 2 hours, ugggg. NHLtv next season for sure. 

Howdy,

28 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

And this is why I use NHL.tv

Other than that you have to use something like Yonder to actually make the service work...   This one.

Mark

5 minutes ago, FREQUENCY247 said:

I bet it is. This part of the world is not renowned hockey country. Surprisingly though there is a wildly successful amateur hockey culture here in Louisville, just very few realize it. I did catch the Pens game last night so I feel slightly better. There is nothing worse than actually getting time to sit and watch a game, only to flip through and find nothing... end up watching flip or flop with the wife for 2 hours, ugggg. NHLtv next season for sure. 

yeah if i lived in a market like that, NHL tv would be a must. Luckily not only do we have good Wings coverage here, but even during the regular season i can get a lot of extra games on NBCSN and CBC. As it stands i really dont have a reason to make the investment.

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Other than that you have to use something like Yonder to actually make the service work...   This one.

Mark

I'm lucky that my regular season team is so far away I never get blackouts. But watching the Kings and much of the playoffs... yeah, Yonder. But its so easy and works so well I really don't mind. 

I stopped going to the adult hockey practices because they merged A/B with C/D so now I can't go there just to learn without being bitched at by upper level players. I want to go and learn and have a good time. Then, I have people asking me why I don't go anymore. There's a reason why I didn't go to the all level classes. It really takes the fun out of going. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2016 at 9:31 AM, Ashtasticness said:

I stopped going to the adult hockey practices because they merged A/B with C/D so now I can't go there just to learn without being bitched at by upper level players. I want to go and learn and have a good time. Then, I have people asking me why I don't go anymore. There's a reason why I didn't go to the all level classes. It really takes the fun out of going. 

That's not fair.  I mean, being bitched out.  Like knock it off, guys, quit acting like your gear doesn't stink.  :(  (imho, it's also just plain not safe to have A and D/novice players mixed together.  What was their logic?  Not enough people for separate ice?) 

• Like 1

First fender-(non)-bender of my life yesterday, and it just had to be in the ambulance, too.  Clipped mirrors with a guy (traveling parallel - he wasn't properly in his lane) - no damage, no one was injured, but there was the whole information exchange and then I had to go back to the main garage and fill out an accident report and got a written warning for first offence and I feel terrible about it.  My supervisor insists that it's not that bad and nothing really happened.  Not that I like driving anyway, but I'm pretty glad I have week until the next time in the truck.  Ugh.

I also learned some new ways in which my mother is basically a crazy person who hates me, and yesterday also included a somewhat non-cooperative psych transfer and a stair chair call.  So this is not my week thus far.

On 4/23/2016 at 9:31 AM, Ashtasticness said:

this sounds like quitters talk.

Is it YOUR fault the rink combined the groups???  do you pay to go?  do the A/B guys pay? if you ALL pay, you ALL have the right to be there.  tell this guy to go sh!t in his helmet.  Besides, playing up, can only make you better, before you know it, you'll be playing at their level.  i honestly LOVE playing open with those guys.  a few poke checks to get them off the puck and maybe a deak or two to get around the guy who thinks he's Wayne Gretzky is always very satisfying.  

Just now, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

Is it YOUR fault the rink combined the groups???  do you pay to go?  do the A/B guys pay? if you ALL pay, you ALL have the right to be there.  tell this guy to go sh!t in his helmet.  Besides, playing up, can only make you better, before you know it, you'll be playing at their level.  i honestly LOVE playing open with those guys.  a few poke checks to get them off the puck and maybe a deak or two to get around the guy who thinks he's Wayne Gretzky is always very satisfying.  

oh, and i'm 45 usually playing with guys 20+ years younger then me. A few playing Club Hockey for some good schools, and a few punk Hartford Wolfpack Prospects.  

Howdy,

1 hour ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

Yes, this one.

I'm also new, and like Beardo at 46 I frequently am out on the ice with other folks that could be my children.

My advice would be to focus on the people saying positive things and not the ones saying negative things.  And as for the ones saying negative things... Beardo has it 100% right.  Its not like you're lying to get into a group where you're not supposed to be.  If they have a problem with it, _they_ can leave.

Mark

• Like 2

3 hours ago, badger_14 said:

First fender-(non)-bender of my life yesterday, and it just had to be in the ambulance, too.  Clipped mirrors with a guy (traveling parallel - he wasn't properly in his lane) - no damage, no one was injured, but there was the whole information exchange and then I had to go back to the main garage and fill out an accident report and got a written warning for first offence and I feel terrible about it.  My supervisor insists that it's not that bad and nothing really happened.  Not that I like driving anyway, but I'm pretty glad I have week until the next time in the truck.  Ugh.

I also learned some new ways in which my mother is basically a crazy person who hates me, and yesterday also included a somewhat non-cooperative psych transfer and a stair chair call.  So this is not my week thus far.

Speaking as a potential customer, please do what it takes to gain some confidence driving the bus.

29 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Speaking as a potential customer, please do what it takes to gain some confidence driving the bus.

I laughed a bit when I read this reply. 

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Excuse you I am an excellent driver.  I am alert, observant, and cautious.  I am so cautious that I actually drive the speed limit.  In Boston.

(seriously, in all my time driving I have never so much as even aggressively caressed a traffic cone.)