Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

played some open on Friday and someone got bumped into on accident by a college club player on my team and started flipping out and made it his duty to ruin everyone's time.

12 hours ago, Caps06 said:

played some open on Friday and someone got bumped into on accident by a college club player on my team and started flipping out and made it his duty to ruin everyone's time.

was it the guys with the GoPro or the guy with the Tongues out?

seriously tho, if you play club, and go to open, you have to expect all levels of play.  (psst, and you're not Wayne Gretzky skating around human pylons)  And those guys are going to try and stop you with their limited ability.  

Edited by GreatestAmericanBeardo

7 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

was it the guys with the GoPro or the guy with the Tongues out?

seriously tho, if you play club, and go to open, you have to expect all levels of play.  (psst, and you're not Wayne Gretzky skating around human pylons)  And those guys are going to try and stop you with their limited ability.  

I completely agree.  The guy who got bumped into was actually really skilled.

On Monday, my partner and I picked up a psychiatric patient for transfer from a major hospital ER to a psychiatric facility.

Turns out that Major Hospital ER didn't do such a hot job searching Patient's belongings, 'cause when Patient asked if we could get his (sealed, no worries) Gatorade out of his backpack for him, we all discovered he was in possession of a steak knife.  Fortunately, he was a cooperative guy, and told us we should take it and not leave it with him. 

(This was during the hour we spent in a locked 5x8" foyer waiting for someone to take Patient for admittance to the facility, because facility in question is badly understaffed and was in the middle of a crisis.) 

Thanks, Major Hospital ER.  That could've gotten ugly.  Fortunately it did not, and my partner and I got a reassuring rundown from the supervisor at the end of shift on what to do about contraband like that (or lighters, or matches, or drugs, or whatever else the patient has in their belongings), and then the supervisor made sure we got ice cream for EMS week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

we usually ask those guys if they want someone to call his mom to pick him up early if he's having a bad time...

We have him a hard time once he starting playing to ruin everyone's time 

Dental pain/issues are no friend.  

I have had a pretty good run, but for no rhyme or reason, I've been crushed the past 8 days.  Debilitating pain, like laying in bed wanting to pull my tooth with pliers.  WTF, I was just in for my 6 M checkup & given clean bill of health.  BOOM, Antibotics and IBU(dumped me a bunch of junk, I'm good with IBU) have moved me to today.  

That said, got my first needed dose of Antibotics.  Jinxed myself like 2 weeks ago saying, I'm 46 and never had to take an antibiotic.  (Apparently my descent into decrepitude is jumping). Strange, my pain is more with infection pressure, than actual tooth pain now.  

Broken ankle. Season over. Also missing out on GGSU Legends Camp. Also starting a new job next month on crutches.

Keeping in mind this is from my perspective... Ran into a guy right off the face off, both of us went down. Basically I pushed the puck past him and went straight for it. We got up, and I guess he didn't like getting run into like that and jumped me from behind, ankle twisted on the way down. All I felt was pain in the ankle.

Tried to get up to knock the fucker out but collapsed trying to put weight on it. Only barely noticed the pummeling to the back of the head while I was face down on the ice because the pain in my ankle was so bad. I pretty much had to just lay there with my face on the ice waiting for him to either stop punching or to be pulled off me.

Im told there was actually two guys on me. I'm guessing the first guy that basically jumped me, and likely the other guy was the one punching the back of my head.

Anyway, I couldn't stand up so I had to be carried off (skating on one foot propped up by two players). 

I should also mention they also had a 3rd idiot that left the box while it went down.

Sent a rather unpleasant email to the league director about it. He said he would talk to the refs and the timekeeper and some of the more respected players on both teams to find out what happened. Couple hours later he said they've both been suspended but he hadn't decided for how long and told me to keep him updated on my condition.

Went to urgent care this afternoon, and they took X-Rays that confirmed a broken ankle. Put a splint on it and sent me home on crutches. Will be going in likely Tuesday for a cast.

I told him and he said thanks and that he'd let me know the outcome.

A couple people have suggested I press assault charges but I don't think I'd get far there, nor do I really want to be "that guy".

23 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Broken ankle. Season over. Also missing out on GGSU Legends Camp. Also starting a new job next month on crutches.

Keeping in mind this is from my perspective... Ran into a guy right off the face off, both of us went down. Basically I pushed the puck past him and went straight for it. We got up, and I guess he didn't like getting run into like that and jumped me from behind, ankle twisted on the way down. All I felt was pain in the ankle.

Tried to get up to knock the fucker out but collapsed trying to put weight on it. Only barely noticed the pummeling to the back of the head while I was face down on the ice because the pain in my ankle was so bad. I pretty much had to just lay there with my face on the ice waiting for him to either stop punching or to be pulled off me.

Im told there was actually two guys on me. I'm guessing the first guy that basically jumped me, and likely the other guy was the one punching the back of my head.

Anyway, I couldn't stand up so I had to be carried off (skating on one foot propped up by two players). 

I should also mention they also had a 3rd idiot that left the box while it went down.

Sent a rather unpleasant email to the league director about it. He said he would talk to the refs and the timekeeper and some of the more respected players on both teams to find out what happened. Couple hours later he said they've both been suspended but he hadn't decided for how long and told me to keep him updated on my condition.

Went to urgent care this afternoon, and they took X-Rays that confirmed a broken ankle. Put a splint on it and sent me home on crutches. Will be going in likely Tuesday for a cast.

I told him and he said thanks and that he'd let me know the outcome.

A couple people have suggested I press assault charges but I don't think I'd get far there, nor do I really want to be "that guy".

When people don't become "that guy" it keeps happening over and over. It won't stop until something changes and thankfully after a goalie slashed a player in the face a few months ago someone around here is finally doing something about it.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

Opti - that's awful, the whole thing.  I hope your recovery goes quickly.

Thanks. Everything I'm reading is about 8 weeks before the cast will come off and then another 8-10 weeks until I'm back on skates. But we'll see what they say when I go in Wednesday to have the cast put on.

if I need surgery it could be significantly longer.

3 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I think the moral of the last few posts is to avoid rookie leagues... Heh.

Completely agree. Ive been playing for about a year but this is my first time being on a team so I went with a beginner entry team to try and get the hang of it all. Ive had a better time at high level drop in than in this beginner league hah.

1 minute ago, kclark87 said:

Completely agree. Ive been playing for about a year but this is my first time being on a team so I went with a beginner entry team to try and get the hang of it all. Ive had a better time at high level drop in than in this beginner league hah.

I was at my league game (D5) last night in my splint and crutches. Somebody from the other team came up to me and was like "what happened to you?" I said "got jumped in rookie league."  "Oh, man. Never do rookie league!" 

Starting to agree. Seems the higher level you go the less horseshit that goes on. I missed skating out (switched to full-time goalie last year) so I figured rookie league was thursday nights, which is great, and it might be fun to just get out and have a skate without really giving a damn. I also mistakenly thought it might be fun to for once be in the upper range of skill level in a league (since I've always been in the lower half), but it seems to do nothing but put a huge target on your back. 

Never again. If I want to skate out, I'll hit a pickup. 

2 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

To quote Brian Hackett of Sandpiper Air; "Trouble just finds that guy."

Nice, not often you get a Wings reference. 

46 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I don't get it.

He referenced a television show that was around about 10 years ago and though around like 7 years, I never considered it popular.

Side note, how I took his comment was that it's not the league, but the player.  There are players that are going to do questionable stuff at every level & continue do it, regardless of the level they are in.

I'll add that I think a lot of this stuff is related to who runs the league.  

In my experience, Rookie League is the least chippy of any of the leagues we have here. In fact, I'm not even sure it's close.  I'm also under the impression that the guy that runs both the Rookie and D4 League here doesn't put up with much.  That is not limited to boorish behavior(unruly physical play, verbal abuse of the refs ect), but the player that appears to be playing on a team/league far below their ability level and making that very clear on the ice.  

• Like 1

There was some sort of dispatching mix-up, which resulting in my partner and I covering a chair-car call (sometimes BLS ambulances do this if there aren't any chair cars available) which was more than two hours late.  (patient was supposed to get picked up at 5:30, we were dispatched at 6:30, and got to patient at 7pm).  Naturally, the patient took it all out on us, was extremely uncooperative (didn't even want to sit on the stretcher - sorry, this is an ambulance, not optional.  Also, you get to lie down???) and verbally abusive towards me and my partner.   

The funny thing is, I felt far less safe in the back with this patient than I did with last week's knife-possessing ex-convict.  Wild times.  

Played god awful last night in the little cup game we have going here. Feel like I let my team down by making some pretty gnarly mistakes. I play D and instead of sending it to the boards to clear, tried to pass to the center, was intercepted and scored on. I know better, I don't even know what I was thinking. Not sure if it was the pressure of the big game, or having fam and friends in the stands, but I totally screwed us on that one. Coach was a little hot, gave some advise not to do that and we moved on. 3rd period, i do it again, same result. Thats 2 goals because of my exact same mistake. Its like I had a damn stroke or something and lost any ability to think. 

We have played this team 3 other times and won them all, last night was a total shutout, 6-0. Got our asses handed to us on a platter. 

Im new to the game (15 weeks), this is my first league, but thats no excuse, I need to pull it together next go round. 

• Like 1

I was laid off yesterday.  :/ (After 4.5 year)  then freaked out about having to interview again, ran to the barber, and took 6+ inches off the beard.  

(full disclosure, i was looking for a new job anyway since the Co. was faltering. but its nicer to find a job while you still have one.)

bright side, i should have enough severance to carry me thru Summer Jam  :) 

oh how i miss worki...  err, my beard.

• Like 2