Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

I stopped wearing shorts because I have bruises on my legs all the time. Today I have 4 bruises on my right leg and 1 on my left. All from hockey. I like jeans better but it's awfully hot. I don't want someone to think I'm a battered woman or something. (People do ask and make assumptions, it's happened to me before)

1 hour ago, Ashtasticness said:

I stopped wearing shorts because I have bruises on my legs all the time. Today I have 4 bruises on my right leg and 1 on my left. All from hockey. I like jeans better but it's awfully hot. I don't want someone to think I'm a battered woman or something. (People do ask and make assumptions, it's happened to me before)

Buy better (hockey) pants? 

6 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Buy better (hockey) pants? 

5 hours ago, kclark87 said:

And shin guards lol

I bruise easy. I don't even know where they come from half the time, I just blame hockey. I didn't get hit with anything today and I didn't fall either. My grandma is that way and so is my sister. My sister had some test done a few years ago and if they ran certain metals down her arm she would bruise, it was weird. The one on my left leg, I accidently scraped against the corner of the bed and it bruised pretty bad. 

11 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:

omg I'm so sorry. My grandmother is going through the same thing. We lost my grandfather to cancer back in February and it was recently their anniversary. If you need someone to talk to just message me. 

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I've pretty much come around to the understanding that it will always be with me, but will eventually not always be front of mind. 

• Like 1

I was making a play I have made uncountable times, playing D, no passing lanes with the walls sealed off, just flip the puck up and out through the center of the ice. Between when I looked up to check I had the opening, looked down to make sure I had the puck, and flipped it, one of my forwards (that just happened to be my little brother) cut through the center of the ice. The puck got him square in the lower lip/teeth (we both wear visors). He was on the ice for a long while. "Luckily" he "only" ended up needing a few stitches on the inside of his lip to close up the cut, and his teeth are okay (X-Rays showed not fractures/breaks/damage to the teeth or jaw). Four days later his lip/jaw are swelled and bruised, and he is very sore, but otherwise okay... 

Most people that know me understand that I am really a gentle person that will go out of my way to avoid conflict and hurting or inconveniencing others. This whole thing has really shaken me up though, not only did I hurt someone, but it had to be my brother/best friend. I already ordered a Bauer Concept III, to try out, to avoid having this happen to me, and I believe my brother has ordered the same thing or a cage as well. 

I really played like garbage the rest of that game (it happened about 8 minutes into the second period). I am hoping that it was just because I was upset at the time and worried about my brother. I am really hoping that I do not develop the "yips" from this when playing. I am positive that me playing afraid and timid is more of a danger to myself and other people than playing with confidence and decisiveness (As much as I can at my skill-level). 

On 6/30/2016 at 11:36 AM, kclark87 said:

When you get a bad skate sharpen and now gotta go pay to get them sharpened again from someone else.

Yassss. Nobody gets their skates sharpened at our rink anymore. A couple players have sharpeners at home and that's the only way to get them sharpened. If you get it done at the rink it's like I paid $10 for nothing. 

On 6/30/2016 at 2:15 PM, JoeyJ0506 said:

I was making a play I have made uncountable times, playing D, no passing lanes with the walls sealed off, just flip the puck up and out through the center of the ice. Between when I looked up to check I had the opening, looked down to make sure I had the puck, and flipped it, one of my forwards (that just happened to be my little brother) cut through the center of the ice. The puck got him square in the lower lip/teeth (we both wear visors). He was on the ice for a long while. "Luckily" he "only" ended up needing a few stitches on the inside of his lip to close up the cut, and his teeth are okay (X-Rays showed not fractures/breaks/damage to the teeth or jaw). Four days later his lip/jaw are swelled and bruised, and he is very sore, but otherwise okay... 

Most people that know me understand that I am really a gentle person that will go out of my way to avoid conflict and hurting or inconveniencing others. This whole thing has really shaken me up though, not only did I hurt someone, but it had to be my brother/best friend. I already ordered a Bauer Concept III, to try out, to avoid having this happen to me, and I believe my brother has ordered the same thing or a cage as well. 

I really played like garbage the rest of that game (it happened about 8 minutes into the second period). I am hoping that it was just because I was upset at the time and worried about my brother. I am really hoping that I do not develop the "yips" from this when playing. I am positive that me playing afraid and timid is more of a danger to myself and other people than playing with confidence and decisiveness (As much as I can at my skill-level). 

I can't stand when guys attempt this play.

6 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I can't stand when guys attempt this play.

I do it all the time, it's great for springing guys early in the game. Usually the D adjusts and is less likely to hold the line later in the game making it easier to exit the zone. 

Fractured ankle and torn ligament. This severely sucks, laid up doing RICE for the next couple weeks. 

The pisser is, I didn't even do it, doing something cool. Family went to the beach and when returning to the condo we rented I stopped by the outdoor shower to rinse off. Apparently the wood decking had been weakened by the water from the shower and collapsed, rolling my ankle. Crappy vacation and now no hockey. 

Guess Ill get caught up on my Players Tribune reading and researching personal injury lawyers!

Left for work trip last week, walked past my bicycle that i normally ride to work. Gave the tyres a quick squeeze as I normally do to feel the pressure. 

Return back from trip, didnt feel anything was amiss. Ready to ride to work the next day and bike wasnt there. Neither was the helmet. Thought I might have left it at work... took the ferry to work, went to the bike cage, and its not there. Wife said she hadnt seen the bike for over a week since I left, and neither had our babysitter. Nobody else uses that bike except for me, so just wondering where it could be. At least the person who took the bike is riding safe with that helmet. The bike was in the carport, which is INSIDE the fully fenced/gated premises.

Lodged a police report, and called the insurance company. They said I could file an insurance claim as its covered under my home contents insurance, but I've got a $300 excess. There goes the savings for the newer skates, shaft and blades that I was saving up for. 

Didnt help that the wife got a $340 fine for using her phone while driving. 

• Like 2

My big whinge at the moment is Heel Blisters.

I essentially got them being lazy and playing soccer in a really thin pair of socks that i dont normally play in - in my newish boots...

All good except that was about 4 weeks ago - and i still have the blisters (havent popped them etc)

So i have had to a) use my old soccer boots, and b) use blister bandages which dont do much on their own when your playing sport - so also have to tape the area and pad it out extra .

I just wish they would go away... they even hurt when skating :(

A grown-ass man at the gym threw an actual, honest-to-god, screaming fit over his membership not including towel service.  (or rather, being gently reminded that his membership did not include towel service.)  He was so infuriated by the enforcement of a policy that he was already aware of, he cancelled his membership, and has dispatched his friend to complain to the higher-ups.

Ambulance crazy has nothing on retail crazy, man. 

• Like 1

Okay 2016, can we please quit it with the potentially life threatening medical conditions? First me with a blood clot, now Jenn with appendicitis. I'm getting really tired of hospitals. 

Playoff game, got roasted big time against a weaker team.

Half our players were missing through injury, work and just didnt want to play the late game.

Need to get my skates sharpened as I couldnt feel my edges last night. Overall just need more consistency 

14 hours ago, fatwabbit said:

Playoff game, got roasted big time against a weaker team.

Half our players were missing through injury, work and just didnt want to play the late game.

Need to get my skates sharpened as I couldnt feel my edges last night. Overall just need more consistency 

This happened to my team this year too. We played this worst team and lost cuz half my team didnt show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kclark87 said:

This happened to my team this year too. We played this worst team and lost cuz half my team didnt show.

If they didnt show because of a valid reason (sick, injured) then I can understand. But if its because its the late game and they dont turn up, then I question why we struggle all the time with 8 players?

On a good note, I got a message from the Capt yesterday. He said that there was a play I made that should have been on the highlight reel. I dove to clear the puck from their advancing forward, and in the process she hit me and cartwheeled. The other team obviously complained about it, but were told by the refs that it was clean and I got the puck first. I was preparing for some sort of retaliation from their players including their captain, and before that could happen my own Captain told me to get off for a breather. That kinda diffused the situation.

I think we gave them too much room and space, and didnt play the body enough. I for one tracked the puck too much and not the player... need to do that more in the next game this weekend.... oh, and if they start to showboat again like they did last weekend, just dump them on their ass.

Tired of people professing their expertise and then totally screwing something up. Friends, family, coworkers, etc.... getting really tired of it.