Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Benefit on Sunday for my high school buddy that died a few weeks ago (trying to cover his funeral expenses for the family), yesterday was five years since my grandfather died and I'm about two weeks away from the anniversary of my wife's death. 

On the ambulance, we had a call for a suicidal twelve year old (with plan), to take into the ER for evaluation.  Pediatric calls are the hardest.  The complaints of the gym-goers at my other job just seem painfully trite by comparison.  I'm glad to be playing hockey and seeing friends this weekend.  (and hanging out with my gym-kids on Friday.)

Fell awkwardly last Sunday night skating. Pain in my ribs kept getting worse since. I just heard  back from doctors office. Broken Rib! Son of a B!!!! 

Plus recently confirmed I need a third hernia surgery. My surgeon found a weak spot between my previous two repairs. 

Looks like no hockey until next spring. :sad:

Forfeiting our game tomorrow because we won't have enough players. We have like 20 players on the roster but have been consistently getting 7 or less this season. Really annoying. Summer season sucks!

the prep work for a colonoscopy is awful.  I haven't eaten anything of substance since Tuesday at 8:30pm and I wont have anything until after 4ish today.  

1 hour ago, jlt73 said:

the prep work for a colonoscopy is awful.  I haven't eaten anything of substance since Tuesday at 8:30pm and I wont have anything until after 4ish today.  

I would be complaining about the scope in my bum, but that's just me...

• Like 5

Did a quick check with the doc the other day, and he said i wouldnt need another colonoscopy since i did one a few years ago.

He did have a quick look to see with some scopes etc... I thought I was just scheduled to come in to have a discussion, and wasnt expecting the prodding.

So. Here goes. Back in March I was rushed to the ER (I'm Northern Irish, we usually call it casualty or Accident and Emergency) with sepsis. I spent 3 days in intensive care and a further 2 on a ward. I had a minor heart attack too whilst I was there. I don't recall much of it. I lost a lot of weight, dropping from 230lbs to 160 in the weeks after. My mental health took a battering too, to the point I attempted to overdose 3 times. I lost my job because I was unable to work, developed scar tissue in my left lung where the infection had been, and I ended up on welfare. No matter what I tried I could not gain weight and was pounding back pints of water every day. I tried to get back to hockey but my gear was hanging on me like a badly dressed mannequin and my energy levels were at an all time low. I couldn't complete a training session and games were out of the question. I developed thrush and it was only then that my doctor asked had I been tested for diabetes. I hadn't so I went in the next morning and did a fasting blood test. That was a Thursday, and the following Monday my doctor called me and told me to get to the ER because I needed insulin ASAP. It transpires that the sepsis has basically killed my pancreas and left me as an insulin dependent diabetic. I'm currently undergoing tests on my thyroid at the minute to determine if it works properly too. My mental health is returning and I've gained weight too, although I've been very conscious of my diet ever since I was diagnosed diabetic. I've an appointment with a therapist this Friday, and my doctor has put my meds on weekly dispense to keep the temptation of overdosing away. I'm in the process of trying to get my visa so I can emigrate to Canada too. I'm also returning to training with my team next week, they asked why I hadn't been up in a while and when I explained the situation they said theu would waive my fees until I got back on my feet financially.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

So. Here goes. Back in March I was rushed to the ER (I'm Northern Irish, we usually call it casualty or Accident and Emergency) with sepsis. I spent 3 days in intensive care and a further 2 on a ward. I had a minor heart attack too whilst I was there. I don't recall much of it. I lost a lot of weight, dropping from 230lbs to 160 in the weeks after. My mental health took a battering too, to the point I attempted to overdose 3 times. I lost my job because I was unable to work, developed scar tissue in my left lung where the infection had been, and I ended up on welfare. No matter what I tried I could not gain weight and was pounding back pints of water every day. I tried to get back to hockey but my gear was hanging on me like a badly dressed mannequin and my energy levels were at an all time low. I couldn't complete a training session and games were out of the question. I developed thrush and it was only then that my doctor asked had I been tested for diabetes. I hadn't so I went in the next morning and did a fasting blood test. That was a Thursday, and the following Monday my doctor called me and told me to get to the ER because I needed insulin ASAP. It transpires that the sepsis has basically killed my pancreas and left me as an insulin dependent diabetic. I'm currently undergoing tests on my thyroid at the minute to determine if it works properly too. My mental health is returning and I've gained weight too, although I've been very conscious of my diet ever since I was diagnosed diabetic. I've an appointment with a therapist this Friday, and my doctor has put my meds on weekly dispense to keep the temptation of overdosing away. I'm in the process of trying to get my visa so I can emigrate to Canada too. I'm also returning to training with my team next week, they asked why I hadn't been up in a while and when I explained the situation they said theu would waive my fees until I got back on my feet financially.

I hope everything gets better soon!  It sounds like a real rough patch, but things seems to really be looking up!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jlt73 said:

I hope everything gets better soon!  It sounds like a real rough patch, but things seems to really be looking up!

Thanks, for the longest time it just seemed like it was one step forward and two steps back but I'm hoping this is things taking a turn for the better. I've been trying to get another job too, but all I know is law enforcement and custodial work 

2 hours ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

Holy crap!  That's a lot to take in!  I'm sorry you had to go through all that, what a nightmare.

Glad to hear things seem to be looking up, though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Holmes_D_83 said:

Looking forward to seeing a "Sweet Spot" ending to this story. Hang in there.

• Like 6

I have been put in a situation where I need to scuttle the beer league team that I have been running for the past six+ years. Between the inability of certain players to ever come to games, some refusing to pay on time (or at all), the rink scheduling games later and later, and the excessive use of the iced-over inline rink (way too small for 5v5 ice hockey) I am just burned out.

Honestly, I am upset because there have been so many good times, and I have made some wonderful friends because of this team.

On a 9 game win streak, (team is 11-6, in first place by 3 games, and 5 of the 6 losses were by forfeit this year) and I get kicked in the head by a student on Monday in my classroom. Out for season with concussion. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

11 minutes ago, Wallzy41 said:

On a 9 game win streak, (team is 11-6, in first place by 3 games, and 5 of the 6 losses were by forfeit this year) and I get kicked in the head by a student on Monday in my classroom. Out for season with concussion. 

Kicked in the head by a student in the classroom?  WTH?

Mark

On 10/24/2016 at 4:01 PM, JoeyJ0506 said:

I have been put in a situation where I need to scuttle the beer league team that I have been running for the past six+ years. Between the inability of certain players to ever come to games, some refusing to pay on time (or at all), the rink scheduling games later and later, and the excessive use of the iced-over inline rink (way too small for 5v5 ice hockey) I am just burned out.

Honestly, I am upset because there have been so many good times, and I have made some wonderful friends because of this team.

Found myself in this same exact situation recently. Not as many years invested as you, but when you've invested so much time and effort into your team and see it go south for many reasons, it's quite upsetting.