Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Finding full time employment now that I'm done university and grad school is tough. Especially since I decided to stay in the city I moved to for grad school because I was certain there would be more options in my field. It's getting to the point now that I'm best off casting a wider net and settling for something, but I hear so many horror stories about people settling at jobs, and being in my mid twenties I don't want that.

Frustrating to say the least.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, adam14 said:

Finding full time employment now that I'm done university and grad school is tough. Especially since I decided to stay in the city I moved to for grad school because I was certain there would be more options in my field. It's getting to the point now that I'm best off casting a wider net and settling for something, but I hear so many horror stories about people settling at jobs, and being in my mid twenties I don't want that.

What do you do and where do you live? 

41 minutes ago, adam14 said:

While you may not want to settle, I would recommend that you take an "add some experience to your resume" position for a year or two. It is always easier to find a job when you have a job.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

While you may not want to settle, I would recommend that you take an "add some experience to your resume" position for a year or two. It is always easier to find a job when you have a job.

That's where I'm at right now, I currently have 2 jobs to gain experience, however one consistent job with the same hours would be much more manageable while I try to get my life in order haha  

18 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Well, that's rotten of them :( Any chance to recoup any losses, or would the legal fight cost more than it's worth?

Does the property management company have financial responsibility in this?   I don't know anything about this stuff . It seems like you hire the company to take care of situations before they get this out of hand.       

Dam crap people make it tougher on those trying to do the right thing. 

On 1/16/2018 at 4:51 PM, Playmakersedge said:

Does the property management company have financial responsibility in this?   I don't know anything about this stuff . It seems like you hire the company to take care of situations before they get this out of hand.       

Dam crap people make it tougher on those trying to do the right thing. 

The property management company has very little financial responsibility.  This is my first rental and when I signed the contract I was very green.  Knowing what I know now, I would have amended the contract significantly or went with someone else.  I hired the company so I would just have to collect a check and not worry about anything.  It seems like I'm doing way more work than I should.  Which is why the property management company is done after this mess gets cleared up.

It sucks that there are people out there that try to take advantage of things and make it more difficult for good people.  I messaged the tenet on facebook (I recently found out they are really good friends with my cousin and his wife) and they claim they will pay me asap for the past week with nothing but excuses on why they didn't make arrangements yet.  

I do have a lawsuit for all money owed for next month, I hope it works out where they pay before the court date though.

As an IT professional and an Apple fan boy Apple is making it harder and harder to support their computers in an enterprise environment.  As of Spring of 2018 Apple will be removing some of the features I use in their Server App.  This is very frustrating.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

As an IT professional and an Apple fan boy Apple is making it harder and harder to support their computers in an enterprise environment.  As of Spring of 2018 Apple will be removing some of the features I use in their Server App.  This is very frustrating.

I'm jealous you guys get to have them at all. Using a Mac was a job requirement for me (I would have walked out of the interview if they'd said no) so I'm one of a small handful of people at this fortune 500 company using them. Basically me, and some high level executives. 

Thankfully they let me use my own so I don't have all the corporate junk on it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I don’t know when Apple ever made it easy ha. I’m glad I’m out of the world of trying to find a happy medium of business requirements/IT security and iphones, that was a nightmare.

19 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm jealous you guys get to have them at all. Using a Mac was a job requirement for me (I would have walked out of the interview if they'd said no) so I'm one of a small handful of people at this fortune 500 company using them. Basically me, and some high level executives. 

Thankfully they let me use my own so I don't have all the corporate junk on it. 

I work at a University and I am their "Mac guy".  We just support our computers like an enterprise.  As far as corporate junk we obviously don't have any of that.  I like to just put the bare bones stuff on my images.  No need to over load it with crap.  If someone needs some additional they let me know.

12 hours ago, the_game said:

I don’t know when Apple ever made it easy ha. I’m glad I’m out of the world of trying to find a happy medium of business requirements/IT security and iphones, that was a nightmare.

Thank god I don't support phones.  Only computers some people have phones the school gave them that I help them out with, but they are just basic iPhones we don't have any profiles or security limitations we push to them.  One of the benefits of working for a school and not a corporate environment.

With all that said if anyone has suggestions for a Mac netboot server I am all ears.  I am trying to stay away for Lunix.

1 hour ago, strosedefence34 said:

I work at a University and I am their "Mac guy".  We just support our computers like an enterprise.  As far as corporate junk we obviously don't have any of that.  I like to just put the bare bones stuff on my images.  No need to over load it with crap.  If someone needs some additional they let me know.

Thank god I don't support phones.  Only computers some people have phones the school gave them that I help them out with, but they are just basic iPhones we don't have any profiles or security limitations we push to them.  One of the benefits of working for a school and not a corporate environment.

With all that said if anyone has suggestions for a Mac netboot server I am all ears.  I am trying to stay away for Lunix.

I worked IT at a university also at one point and I agree. So much better than corporate. 

• Like 1

What is the point of having supplemental insurance through USA Hockey if they won't cover anything?

I've progressed to the point in my knee injury that I'm ready to begin physical therapy.  I've also accumulated about the $1000 deductible for the USA Hockey insurance that we're mandated to have to kick in.  So from here out, I thought my treatment would be covered.  My PT is having billing issues, so I just called the insurance company to figure out the best way to proceed.  They informed me that they only cover PT after a surgery.  The doctor said he didn't want to do surgery if he didn't have to, so we immobilized the knee to see if it would heal without the surgery.  it did.  So this insurance company would rather pay for surgery costs, plus 25-30 PT sessions rather than the 10 or so PTs I'll need.  And I'm going to end up paying double to NOT have surgery than I would have if I did.  What a load of horse shit.

My recommendation, call again and get it escalated. If they continue to refuse then go thru their appeals and grievances process. It might be a pain but it could get the result you're looking for. You can probably even get the doctor to advocate for you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, psulion22 said:

What is the point of having supplemental insurance through USA Hockey if they won't cover anything?

I've progressed to the point in my knee injury that I'm ready to begin physical therapy.  I've also accumulated about the $1000 deductible for the USA Hockey insurance that we're mandated to have to kick in.  So from here out, I thought my treatment would be covered.  My PT is having billing issues, so I just called the insurance company to figure out the best way to proceed.  They informed me that they only cover PT after a surgery.  The doctor said he didn't want to do surgery if he didn't have to, so we immobilized the knee to see if it would heal without the surgery.  it did.  So this insurance company would rather pay for surgery costs, plus 25-30 PT sessions rather than the 10 or so PTs I'll need.  And I'm going to end up paying double to NOT have surgery than I would have if I did.  What a load of horse shit.

Tore my labrum during a game in 2010.  Tried the USAH route.  Was so frustrated, I gave up on it.  It's still torn.

I know this is pretty insignificant compared to some of your real life situations/issues...but my son and I are trying to figure out what to do for the 2018/2019 hockey season. 

He currently plays Mite A ('09) this season...

We can literally drive 20 to 30 minutes in any direction from my house and hit a ton of highly recommended Club teams

EC Wizards, Flames, Patriots, Jr Eagles, North Stars, NE Predators, Jr Railers...we are going to try out for two for the experience only and as a prep for Town team tryouts....

If the right team has an "Elite" team opening for him.... then as a family,  we would need to re-access..  He will be a squirt minor next season

Anyone have kids playing Club hockey in Massachusetts/NH/CT/RI?  Mainly looking at Elite Level but select is ok too 

Looking for any insight on programs and what you have seen having your kid play for or against any listed above.... you can PM me off line 

Best

Chris

Z45

• Like 1

Many of the so-called elite teams are just money grabs for the people running them and a pain in the ass for the parents shuffling their kids all over lord knows where.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zylos45 said:

I know this is pretty insignificant compared to some of your real life situations/issues...but my son and I are trying to figure out what to do for the 2018/2019 hockey season. 

We can literally drive 20 to 30 minutes in any direction from my house and hit a ton of highly recommended Club teams

EC Wizards, Flames, Patriots, Jr Eagles, North Stars, NE Predators, Jr Railers...we are going to try out for two for the experience only and as a prep for Town team tryouts....

If the right team has an "Elite" team opening for him.... then as a family,  we would need to re-access..  He will be a squirt minor next season

Anyone have kids playing Club hockey in Massachusetts/NH/CT/RI?  Mainly looking at Elite Level but select is ok too 

Looking for any insight on programs and what you have seen having your kid play for or against any listed above.... you can PM me off line 

Best

Chris

Z45

My area has a couple, like the Junior Rangers (http://cjrhockey.com), but I don't know how far Stamford is from you. 

I do agree with @chippa13 though. The scheduling and logistics are a complete pain from my understanding, and they're obscenely expensive for a squirt. Spend the money on other things, mainly focusing on your kids individual skills and especially skating. I think that'd pay off better in the long run.

4 hours ago, Zylos45 said:

Best

Chris

Z45

One of the teammate's beans (a bit older than yours) play for Jr Eagles and Assabet.  He seems to like Assabet, although they live in the Camberville area so I understand the logistics are an unholy nightmare.  Also, given the way he talks to his kids at practice, I don't per se trust his judgement. 

The other teammate, who I find a more sensible person, has his kids in the Boston Stars/MaxPro Jets/whatever it is these days.  The younger one is 12 and the older one is 18 now, but they play well, they play intelligently - the only time I noticed anything off was the bigger one's junior year in high school hockey.  Intelligently I mean - they don't panic with the puck, they make decisions, sometimes the decisions end well, sometimes poorly, but they don't seem overly bothered.  Again, this could just be that their dad is a sensible hockey player who makes decisions without panicking and seems unbothered by the occasional misfire. 

My basic advice is just that it's all going to be based on the coaches.  At 8 and 9 they're really still doing mainly individual basic skills - only about 9 and 10+ do they reach the Lawyer/Priest phase of development where everything is about The Rules and strategy becomes a thing they're able to create and utilize.  See if you can watch a practice before tryouts - watch how the coaches interact with their kids.  Are they authoritarian, demanding obedience?  Are they too laissez-faire and no one has any direction at all?  Are they somewhere in the middle, where there's good clear direction, but they'll take the time to show and explain and re-explain if necessary?  Do they only get down on mistakes, or do they praise things done well?  Like Chippa says a lot of the elite programs take a significant toll in terms of $$$ and logistics (of course, we live in a place where town hockey does that, too, Valley League I am looking at you), but if you can afford it, and the program fits your kid, well, he's 9.  Roll with it.  It's not like you've signed a lifetime contract in blood. 

Could & should probably go in the sweet spot thread...but going back to work sucks. I was fortunate to find a job quickly (& close to home) but having a few weeks off to spend with my son was awesome and now you realize it’s back to the grind for a loooooong one, ha.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

My dog has cancer. :( 

I'm sorry, man.  We lost ours to cancer in June.  It's a terrible thing.

But with a tremendous amount of care from his oncologist, we were able to keep him alive for over a year and a half with a pretty good quality of life for most of it.  So don't give up hope.  They can treat canine cancer very well nowadays, and can prescribe a lot of drugs, even ones like Marinol, to keep him happy and comfortable for a while.

Feel free to reach out if you need advice or support.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 12:18 PM, chippa13 said:

Many of the so-called elite teams are just money grabs for the people running them and a pain in the ass for the parents shuffling their kids all over lord knows where.

Agreed  the elite classification is passed out like candy.  I work with kids doing power skating and get to see in the perspective of not being a parent. The true difference between the two is the parents financial capacity.    

My advice would be to go where the best coaching is for him . Might to peewee is where habits form that become hard to break . So the practice and guidance  is what I would look for . 

The Elite thing I think handing that out to soon can become a ceiling for a child . I don't think the elite thing will change . I think the difference in cost would be better spent on private coaching and teaching  .

Hope this helps 

• Like 1