Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

aw man @IPv6Freely hang in there and hope you and the wife feel better. Not sure theres anything much worse than medical condition uncertainty and to top it off the nurse just throwing out a positive covid diagnosis for your wife.

It sounds to me like you might have had a panic attack. All of the fun of a heart attack without the dying. I hope it all works out but it definitely sounds like you've got plenty of recent stressors to have brought it on. Good luck.

8 hours ago, the_game said:

aw man @IPv6Freely hang in there and hope you and the wife feel better. Not sure theres anything much worse than medical condition uncertainty and to top it off the nurse just throwing out a positive covid diagnosis for your wife.

Being at the hospital they wanted to know about her symptoms since "Have you been tested for COVID-19 symptoms?" question is asked up front. Oddly enough, aside from going into a different room, there was absolutely nothing abnormal about it. Nurses and staff all in standard gear. I went to an urgent care a few months ago and they had people in full getups checking people in. That was super surprising.

But yea, the moment I mentioned her loss of sense of smell she was like "oh, yep. She's got it." Obviously for her HEALTH reasons, I hope she doesn't have it. But for "I told you so" reasons I sort of do. Just because nobody wears masks at her work, even when in meetings or in the car together for lunch. And she's the boss so there's no excuse. And if you know what my wife does for a living, you know how much of an absolute mess it would be if somebody there tested positive. She would joke with her director about me telling her she has to wear a mask and social distance at work.

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

It sounds to me like you might have had a panic attack. All of the fun of a heart attack without the dying. I hope it all works out but it definitely sounds like you've got plenty of recent stressors to have brought it on. Good luck.

Yea, maybe. It was just general pressure/tightness across the entire chest. I was going to just ignore it and finish watching my movie until my left arm went tingly. BP was 162/114, blood oxygen level below 90. Thanks man 😄 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:36 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Well apparently not a heart attack. Doc says he doesn’t know what it is but it’s his job as an ER doctor to make sure it’s NOT on his checklist of emergency items, so he STRESSED he doesn’t know what it was and said to follow up with my doctor 3-5 days. 

I dont like the low O2 level.  Have a cardiologist?  May need to look at this more deeply.  Maybe a blockage.

Prayers for mom and wife... you've got alot on your plate brother.

Edited by dkmiller3356

2 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I dont like the low O2 level.  Have a cardiologist?  May need to look at this more deeply.  Maybe a blockage.

Prayers for mom and wife... you've got alot on your plate brother.

Yeah the monitor I was strapped to was dinging almost constantly, every time it was dip to 89. Though, TBF I was wearing a mask the entire time, 6+ hours. At one point I remembered that I'd had a blood clot so he ordered a CT scan right away for the possibility of PE, though he did mention it helps to know the clot was localized after an injury (right ankle broken, clot in right calf). Chest x-ray and CT scan both totally normal. 

Gotta make a doctor appointment, I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah the monitor I was strapped to was dinging almost constantly, every time it was dip to 89. Though, TBF I was wearing a mask the entire time, 6+ hours. At one point I remembered that I'd had a blood clot so he ordered a CT scan right away for the possibility of PE, though he did mention it helps to know the clot was localized after an injury (right ankle broken, clot in right calf). Chest x-ray and CT scan both totally normal. 

Gotta make a doctor appointment, I guess. 

Hang in there. I know all too well what it's like to go through stuff like that. It's never great when the doctors say "I don't know?" then you have to wait to see someone else.

4 minutes ago, Steve_v3 said:

Hang in there. I know all too well what it's like to go through stuff like that. It's never great when the doctors say "I don't know?" then you have to wait to see someone else.

Definitely, but I also totally understand his point of view as well, specifically as an ER doctor. Basically, confirm it isn’t an emergency and tell me to talk to primary care. That to me seems like a reasonable use of his time.

Honestly if I’d just lose the weight I gained back (most of it) I’d probably be off the heart meds anyway. Time to get serious.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Yea, maybe. It was just general pressure/tightness across the entire chest. I was going to just ignore it and finish watching my movie until my left arm went tingly. BP was 162/114, blood oxygen level below 90. Thanks man 😄 

Those are angina symptoms. I just had a stent put in last week, literally. If you survived that (chest pressure, left arm tingly), then you might be close to, but not 100% blockage of an artery or arteries.

My college has such a half baked plan to bring students to campus (plus college students aren't great at following the rules anyway) that I'm almost certain I'm going to just withdraw and take community college classes online instead. I want to believe that I could actually stay on campus all year but from what I've heard from other students it's not gonna last more than two weeks.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jamarquan said:

My college has such a half baked plan to bring students to campus (plus college students aren't great at following the rules anyway) that I'm almost certain I'm going to just withdraw and take community college classes online instead. I want to believe that I could actually stay on campus all year but from what I've heard from other students it's not gonna last more than two weeks.

Definitely the more economic choice. And always better safe then sorry. 

I think age has finally caught up with me.  Even though I'm in my late forties, I was always one of the quickest skaters on the ice.  Now after 6 months off due to COVID, I have just started playing again.  I still have decent speed when I'm moving, but the first few steps are completely gone.  I try to push hard to take off and my legs just won't move. I can't generate any power from my quads.  It's not so much that they feel tired, more like I just can't feel anything, (dead legs).  Getting old sucks!

On 9/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, boo10 said:

I think age has finally caught up with me.  Even though I'm in my late forties, I was always one of the quickest skaters on the ice.  Now after 6 months off due to COVID, I have just started playing again.  I still have decent speed when I'm moving, but the first few steps are completely gone.  I try to push hard to take off and my legs just won't move. I can't generate any power from my quads.  It's not so much that they feel tired, more like I just can't feel anything, (dead legs).  Getting old sucks!

Fight it. Fight it until you can't fight it anymore. Which is hopefully a few decades down the road.

You have to move fast to be fast and you can still do that well beyond your age. It's just that we tend not to run/sprint/skate fast the older we get with enough regularity to keep our bodies used to "being fast".

Don't give up though! There's no reason you can't still be fast if you refuse to quit practicing being fast. Your body will react/adapt to the "norms" you throw at it. Don't give up!

Edited by colins
  • Like 4

Well, this is actually significantly better than that awful splint I had. I actually changed it for a proper medical grade splint that Velcros on. I was kind of worried the orthopedic doctor would give me shit, but she actually told me I made the right call because splints done by urgent care are usually terribly fitting and not all that good at actually keeping things immobilized.

Anyway, thumb was broken. I’ll be in the cast for three weeks and then likely back to my splint for a bit. PT shouldn’t take long because I actually nearly full range of motion with no pain now as it is. The PT will be more recovering from stiffness in the wrist than anything. 

121BF67F-8075-454C-BF73-BAFC086C48A6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 12:06 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Well, this is actually significantly better than that awful splint I had. I actually changed it for a proper medical grade splint that Velcros on. I was kind of worried the orthopedic doctor would give me shit, but she actually told me I made the right call because splints done by urgent care are usually terribly fitting and not all that good at actually keeping things immobilized.

Anyway, thumb was broken. I’ll be in the cast for three weeks and then likely back to my splint for a bit. PT shouldn’t take long because I actually nearly full range of motion with no pain now as it is. The PT will be more recovering from stiffness in the wrist than anything. 

Hoping for a quick recovery. At least you don't have pain.

• Like 1

Some might recall I had three stents put in on March 2nd.  Been a great recovery - lost 24 lbs and got my Ldl down to 25 - but now I am feeling some "stuff" when exercising.  Weakness in left arm and chest "twinges."  It might all be in my head because I am insane but after consulting with my cardiologist I am going in for another angiogram next Monday (10/26).  Hoping its nothing. this time around.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Some might recall I had three stents put in on March 2nd.  Been a great recovery - lost 24 lbs and got my Ldl down to 25 - but now I am feeling some "stuff" when exercising.  Weakness in left arm and chest "twinges."  It might all be in my head because I am insane but after consulting with my cardiologist I am going in for another angiogram next Monday (10/26).  Hoping its nothing. this time around.

Always smart to get things checked out. As I told you back in March, it would be sometime within the year that something would freak you out enough to get yourself checked. I am hopeful that what you're feeling is just age catching up with us. I learned after my event that between leaning heaviliy on my left elbow at work, steering mostly with the left hand and leaning on my left side when reading the Kindle in bed that I was creating a tight left chest and shoulder up into the neck. It worried me when it would twinge a few times at the gym. I learned to calm myself by recreating the feeling with movement but when my pulse was resting and my heart wasn't under stress.

My trip back was when I was driving to work and was just feeling disconnected. I thought I was getting lightheaded and was concerned something was happening. They kept me overnight, did a nuclear scan and stress echo and found nothing out of the ordinary.

I hope everything goes well for you. One way or another, I think you'll be very excitable come November 4th and I want you to be able to handle it.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 7:37 PM, boo10 said:

You get power for acceleration from your hams and glutes too. Squats and deadlifts will help. Maybe sprint work too, since you were fast 6 months ago. You couldn't have lost that much muscle mass unless you were couch surfing, like an invalid, all day long.