Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

On 10/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Some might recall I had three stents put in on March 2nd.  Been a great recovery - lost 24 lbs and got my Ldl down to 25 - but now I am feeling some "stuff" when exercising.  Weakness in left arm and chest "twinges."  It might all be in my head because I am insane but after consulting with my cardiologist I am going in for another angiogram next Monday (10/26).  Hoping its nothing. this time around.

Let us know how things went.

I just had a blood test mid-October. My cholesterol went down. I've changed a lot of my eating and have lost about 10 lbs.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:06 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Well, this is actually significantly better than that awful splint I had. I actually changed it for a proper medical grade splint that Velcros on. I was kind of worried the orthopedic doctor would give me shit, but she actually told me I made the right call because splints done by urgent care are usually terribly fitting and not all that good at actually keeping things immobilized.

Anyway, thumb was broken. I’ll be in the cast for three weeks and then likely back to my splint for a bit. PT shouldn’t take long because I actually nearly full range of motion with no pain now as it is. The PT will be more recovering from stiffness in the wrist than anything. 

121BF67F-8075-454C-BF73-BAFC086C48A6.jpeg

Was it like a close up 95+ MPH slap shot, or your trapper was getting old and that one slap shot was the straw that broke the camel's back?

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Was it like a close up 95+ MPH slap shot, or your trapper was getting old and that one slap shot was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Neither. It wasn't even a slap shot. It was a wrister from the top of the circles. Glove is fine, it just caught me in the wrong spot because I had my hand angled the wrong way and took it right off the thumb. It's no different from a baseball catcher taking a foul tip off the thumb of their glove. It's not a lack of padding so much as just having the joint jarred backwards. Basically it bent my thumb far enough back that the joint where the base of the thumb and the bone it connects to ended up touching each other directly. It was a tiny avulsion fracture, so small that the orthopedic doctor said she wasn't even completely sure this was the original injury (she had asked if I'd had this happen before and I said yes but never anywhere near this bad to where I straight up couldn't move it). 

I got my cast off last Friday, wore a brace for one day and while sleeping that night out of caution (doc said to start using it immediately but to protect it if the situation warrants it) and haven't worn anything since. At this point it's like it never happened, mostly. My wrist was more sore coming out of the cast than anything. I have nearly full range of motion and nearly as much strength back. I'm really lucky I didn't damage either of the ligaments. 

Now that I can put my glove back on, I might take some photos to demonstrate exactly what happened because it's honestly hard to explain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Neither. It wasn't even a slap shot. It was a wrister from the top of the circles. Glove is fine, it just caught me in the wrong spot because I had my hand angled the wrong way and took it right off the thumb. It's no different from a baseball catcher taking a foul tip off the thumb of their glove. It's not a lack of padding so much as just having the joint jarred backwards. Basically it bent my thumb far enough back that the joint where the base of the thumb and the bone it connects to ended up touching each other directly. It was a tiny avulsion fracture, so small that the orthopedic doctor said she wasn't even completely sure this was the original injury (she had asked if I'd had this happen before and I said yes but never anywhere near this bad to where I straight up couldn't move it). 

I got my cast off last Friday, wore a brace for one day and while sleeping that night out of caution (doc said to start using it immediately but to protect it if the situation warrants it) and haven't worn anything since. At this point it's like it never happened, mostly. My wrist was more sore coming out of the cast than anything. I have nearly full range of motion and nearly as much strength back. I'm really lucky I didn't damage either of the ligaments. 

Now that I can put my glove back on, I might take some photos to demonstrate exactly what happened because it's honestly hard to explain.

Sounds strange. Can't picture how you got hit. The thumb piece of a trapper is big chunk that starts at the T and goes down to the wrist.

Do you wear your trapper loose, medium tight or cranked down?

33 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Sounds strange. Can't picture how you got hit. The thumb piece of a trapper is big chunk that starts at the T and goes down to the wrist.

Do you wear your trapper loose, medium tight or cranked down?

It's a Passau so it's always tight to the hand. 

• Like 1

So the angiogram on Monday revealed a new blockage and they did another stent.  That brings the total to 4!  I have a growing collection of titanium in my chest! "I am Ironman!!"

This spot was only 30% blocked in March and now it was 85% blocked.  It should not have happened.  My Ldl level is rock bottom low (25) and I've lost 24 lbs so its not that. The surgeon and the cardiologist think that when they did the last angioplasty that area might have gotten irritated and the swelling led to increased blockage.  I guess I have to hope that they are right because the other option means I am getting massive uncontrolled build up.  Not a good sounding scenario to be sure.  I guess since my surgeon is one of the preeminent guys in the field and does 1500 a year I have to trust his theory,.

For now time to rest and recover and then back on the ice!!

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

So the angiogram on Monday revealed a new blockage and they did another stent.  That brings the total to 4!  I have a growing collection of titanium in my chest! "I am Ironman!!"

This spot was only 30% blocked in March and now it was 85% blocked.  It should not have happened.  My Ldl level is rock bottom low (25) and I've lost 24 lbs so its not that. The surgeon and the cardiologist think that when they did the last angioplasty that area might have gotten irritated and the swelling led to increased blockage.  I guess I have to hope that they are right because the other option means I am getting massive uncontrolled build up.  Not a good sounding scenario to be sure.  I guess since my surgeon is one of the preeminent guys in the field and does 1500 a year I have to trust his theory,.

For now time to rest and recover and then back on the ice!!

Wow, another blockage found. Good thing you listened to your body.  

Your LDL is really good. My LDL is now at 54. It was 129 in last year's blood test (which is way above 99 for those who want to know the upper limit for normal LDL).

9 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Wow, another blockage found. Good thing you listened to your body.  

Your LDL is really good. My LDL is now at 54. It was 129 in last year's blood test (which is way above 99 for those who want to know the upper limit for normal LDL).

Lipitor is a wonderful drug!!

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, BenBreeg said:

It. Is. Not. Christmas. Season!  I don’t need decorations or Christmas music two weeks before Thanksgiving!!!!!

Normally I’m right there with you. December 1st is the earliest that crap is allowed IMO.

That said, this year has been such absolute trash that I’ll give people a pass if they want a couple weeks of extra holiday season cheer.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Ok...   4 weeks post 4th sent (2nd angioplasty) and now I am going back again.  Just don't feel right.  This really f-ing sucks. Hope 3rd times a charm.

Hopefully they can get things straightened out. Frustrating things no going like you think.  
as you know I’m been dealing with my stuff since early last year. So I understand getting frustrating with your body not cooperating. 
hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Ok...   4 weeks post 4th sent (2nd angioplasty) and now I am going back again.  Just don't feel right.  This really f-ing sucks. Hope 3rd times a charm.

Good luck. I hope this is your last time in for a while.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Good luck. I hope this is your last time in for a while.

THANKS BUD!

Had the procedure yesterday.  The stented the distal artery - something they don't usually do.  Apparently its really low down and they say people don't typically feel effects from blockages there (it was also only 70% blocked).  For any of you that know me though, I am far from typical so yea, of course it impacted me!!  The procedure went well and I actually do feel a bit different and better today.  Hopefully that's not just my brain convincing me of that and this is it!  Fingers crossed!!  I am optimistic this morning!

• Like 8

On 11/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

THANKS BUD!

Had the procedure yesterday.  The stented the distal artery - something they don't usually do.  Apparently its really low down and they say people don't typically feel effects from blockages there (it was also only 70% blocked).  For any of you that know me though, I am far from typical so yea, of course it impacted me!!  The procedure went well and I actually do feel a bit different and better today.  Hopefully that's not just my brain convincing me of that and this is it!  Fingers crossed!!  I am optimistic this morning!

Are you get frequent flier miles at the cath lab?

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Edited by caveman27
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I guess next up for Dave will be the fetzer valve. Better load up on the Quaker State and ball bearings.

It's all ball bearings these days!!!!  Best movie EVER!111

That said..   overall doing better.  Still need to heal but I am hopeful this is it for cardiac issues for a while.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

It's all ball bearings these days!!!!  Best movie EVER!111

That said..   overall doing better.  Still need to heal but I am hopeful this is it for cardiac issues for a while.

Are you guys sure you don't wanna use Prestone? And don't forget the anti-freeze

Going for latest procedure tomorrow morning. If things go well, it be the beginning of the end. The plan is to remove the covered stents I got in the spring. Then I'll only have shorter drains.

If I do well afterwards I'll get the drains out in two weeks. I'm really hoping this is finally it. I've had these stupid drains since April of last year.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Steve_v3 said:

Going for latest procedure tomorrow morning. If things go well, it be the beginning of the end. The plan is to remove the covered stents I got in the spring. Then I'll only have shorter drains.

If I do well afterwards I'll get the drains out in two weeks. I'm really hoping this is finally it. I've had these stupid drains since April of last year.  

Hoping all goes well! 

On 12/14/2020 at 12:29 AM, Steve_v3 said:

Any news Steve?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Any news Steve?

The procedure went fine. I have a little more pain then usual. Could be from removing the stents. I also had a biopsy at the same time so that didn't help. Just waiting to hear when I finally get the drains out. They told me two weeks before the procedure. Hopefully I'll hear the is week. Getting labs so that will probably be a factor when deciding to remove them. That will be the best present!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_v3 said:

The procedure went fine. I have a little more pain then usual. Could be from removing the stents. I also had a biopsy at the same time so that didn't help. Just waiting to hear when I finally get the drains out. They told me two weeks before the procedure. Hopefully I'll hear the is week. Getting labs so that will probably be a factor when deciding to remove them. That will be the best present!

keep us posted!!!  Thinking of you!

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 5:15 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

keep us posted!!!  Thinking of you!

Just got my appointment for drain removal. 1/6/21. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 2