Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Apparently, those little rodent motherfuckers are still eating into my engine bay, despite strong efforts to stop them. If it's any worse than it was last time, my car might end up as a total loss, sooo NOT cool.

If by "more poetic" the assignment intends you to nominate the poem with "more obvious and numerous poetic devices," you'd really just have to catalogue what they're using, respectively, and let it come down on one side or the other. My guess would be Teasdale's, in that case.

If on the other hand you're being asked to arbitrate the poetic superiority of one over the other, it would be more of an opinion piece. Personally, I'd find it much easier to argue for Frost than for Teasdale, if only because the conceit of 'Barter' is a wee bit tried and trite -- and, frankly, entirely vacant of the rather obvious fact that the idea of purchasing love and life owes more to prostitution and slavery than poetry; put 'Barter' in a ribald mouth, and the whole thing becomes outrageously funny. Falstaff would have had a field day with it. Frost, by comparison, aspires to less and perhaps achieves more. You can mock it -- imagine the speaker of Housman's 'Terence' having a go at it in the same voice as his, "The cow, the old cow, she is dead / It sleeps well the horned head / We poor lads, 'tis our turn now / To hear such tunes as killed the cow." -- but it's always preferable to be a simpleton than a buffoon, or whatever the feminine form of a buffoon might be (a Buffy?)

And, happily, this reply isn't too off-topic for a Vent - I loathe Teasdale and disapprove of Frost for reasons of sheer intellectual perversion.

And people ask me why I hated English classes with a passion... :wacko::blink:

And people ask me why I hated English classes with a passion... :wacko::blink:

Nothing is more capable of killing interest in English and literature more than a high school English teacher.

Nothing is more capable of killing interest in English and literature more than a high school English teacher.

Truer words are hard to come by. AP English 12 was the last English class I took because of a teacher with a chip on her shoulder. Real shame.

I need a change of scenery in the worst way possible. Stuff going on in the family, and stress from school and work are killing me right now. I'm physically, and mentally exhausted. I'm most likely failing two out of four classes this semester because I cannot take the teacher to save my life. I think one person is passing in my math class, and my history professor sits at his desk for an hour and fifteen minutes just talking. I can't learn like that. I feel like I have no friends because I'm in bed at 9:30 every night because I have to get ready for work the next morning at 4:30 or 5 am.

At this point, nothing would make me happier than getting out of here, and far away. I wish I could live at the Atlantis. Life is perfect there...

Had to get it off my chest. /vent.

played a game last night, and twice during the game we caught them on a really bad line change. I had myself totally open in front of the net for a looooong time, but my team mate decides to skate the puck all the way in and fans on it... he missed a clean breakaway, and twice he should have passed it to the front of the net instead of trying to bring it in himself. Dont get me wrong, he's a decent player, but once the other team plays a little more physcial it throws him off his game. We should have won, but ended up 6-4

The gal/guys on my usual line do a lot more passing, and we ended up with 3 goals for our line... lots of passing to open teammates who were just 'ghosting' in behind the play, easy passes that just end up with one person in front of the goalie with time and space to place the shot. CANT WE DO THAT EVERY GAME!!!!!

the kid next to me in computers is damn annoying he wont shut up. and i gotta go to a fucking library to get stupp for a latin project. and i gotta start a 3-4 page essay on poetry that law and drew need to help me with. i have no idea what i'm dioing

the kid next to me in computers is damn annoying he wont shut up. and i gotta go to a fucking library to get stupp for a latin project. and i gotta start a 3-4 page essay on poetry that law and drew need to help me with. i have no idea what i'm dioing

Learning how to write educated bullshit will help you for college ;)

Decisions you make when you are 18 coming back to haunt you 12 years later. I'll post in the sweet spot when I invent the time machine.

Learning how to write educated bullshit will help you for college ;)

Well I went to the library and wrote 3 more pages on my english essay. I said that Barter was more poetic that Stopping by woods due to the use of poetic devices and the lack of sentimentality in barter. Sentamentality is a bad thing according to my teacher

Also we have to read Oedipus, Our Town, and Merchant of Venice at the same time for 3 tests monday tueday and wednesday bact to back to back. Reading comprehension is my worst asset

Good luck with that. I remember reading Oedipus and Merchant of Venice but I'm pretty sure they were in different grades.

haha. my english teacher was the superintendant of schools for 20 years and the dean for another 20. he's in his 10th year of "retirement" and I got a 66 in the class, 65 is the lowest passing grade and I'm on a full scholarship to the school. All of my other grades average my GPA to a 3.6 so you can see I'm a great student other than english

Well I went to the library and wrote 3 more pages on my english essay. I said that Barter was more poetic that Stopping by woods due to the use of poetic devices and the lack of sentimentality in barter. Sentamentality is a bad thing according to my teacher

Also we have to read Oedipus, Our Town, and Merchant of Venice at the same time for 3 tests monday tueday and wednesday bact to back to back. Reading comprehension is my worst asset

Sounds like you're more or less on the right track. Always aim to please the person grading your papers - a lesson I learned far later than I should have. That will be true from here to eternity.

You will find a moment of clarity with your textual comprehension: you'll plug away at it, and when you've sufficiently adapted your brain to the task at hand, the neural pathways will align and the scales will drop from your eyes. Like anything else, it's just a matter of willful adaptation.

Which Oedipus play, and whose translation, if you don't mind my asking? Colonus often gets left out, obscuring Oedipus' thematic importance to Antigone, which was written first but comes later in the Theban chronology.

Hopefully you won't be addled by inconsiderate clots in the library again.

If you really do need to pad out the paper, getting into discussions of secondary critical sources can fill up volumes unfathomable to man or monk; both of those poems will have had just sub-biblical levels of commentary. If your school has subscriptions to online journals (eg. through Scholars' Portal), you can absolutely rake that stuff in.

Incidentally, cocksuckers at the U just about cost me $18K today with a clerical error.

haha. my english teacher was the superintendant of schools for 20 years and the dean for another 20. he's in his 10th year of "retirement" and I got a 66 in the class, 65 is the lowest passing grade and I'm on a full scholarship to the school. All of my other grades average my GPA to a 3.6 so you can see I'm a great student other than english

That grade might improve if you stop depending on message board folks for help.

Sounds like you're more or less on the right track. Always aim to please the person grading your papers - a lesson I learned far later than I should have. That will be true from here to eternity.

You will find a moment of clarity with your textual comprehension: you'll plug away at it, and when you've sufficiently adapted your brain to the task at hand, the neural pathways will align and the scales will drop from your eyes. Like anything else, it's just a matter of willful adaptation.

Which Oedipus play, and whose translation, if you don't mind my asking? Colonus often gets left out, obscuring Oedipus' thematic importance to Antigone, which was written first but comes later in the Theban chronology.

Hopefully you won't be addled by inconsiderate clots in the library again.

If you really do need to pad out the paper, getting into discussions of secondary critical sources can fill up volumes unfathomable to man or monk; both of those poems will have had just sub-biblical levels of commentary.

Incidentally, cocksuckers at the U just about cost me $18K today with a clerical error.

Okay, laymen's terms please for the first 2 paragraphs? Thanbks law, and as fotr the inconsiderate clot, that was at school, we had 3 frees in a row so i went to the school library and the kid next to me has the most annoying voice ever. He was saying "OH YEAH" for ten minutes screaming it and the liberian kicked him out. And we are reading the original text of sohpocles Oedipus Rex where he kills the man who turns out to be his father (the king) with the prophecy. I actually enjoy the book.

Always aim to please the person grading your papers - a lesson I learned far later than I should have. That will be true from here to eternity.

One of the biggest gripes I have with our educational system. Kissing ass is often more important than being correct or being able to back up your opinion with fact.

One of the biggest gripes I have with our educational system. Kissing ass is often more important than being correct or being able to back up your opinion with fact.

What's wrong with that? My spannish teacher is a lady bug whore so I buy a lady bug tie and give it to her and I get off of a week's homework. Needless to say I know diddly squat from that week of spannish

To an extent, however, when writing a paper you still have to support your position and no teacher will give an "A" just because your position agrees with their's without quality behind it.

obviously, that was not what I meant, i meant kissing ass outside of academic stuff like i said with giving a teacher a gift or something. my English teacher said that he has never given the answer to the poems to anyone, even former students. he dosent care about our answer, like a math teacher in a sense, but how you got there and what you show with your work that you know how to use all of the formulas

What's wrong with that? My spannish teacher is a lady bug whore so I buy a lady bug tie and give it to her and I get off of a week's homework. Needless to say I know diddly squat from that week of spannish

:blink: And no one can see what's wrong with the school system?

Edited by furlanitalia

Paraphrase: reading is just like lifting weights. All the same basic rules of adaptation apply. Don't read too much in one sitting. Don't try to read too much at once. Don't read too much of any one thing, the same way you wouldn't just do preacher curls for two hours. Take breaks, because it's in the rests that your brain will actually adapt to having read, and better prepare itself to read again.

I forgot you were doing Greek as well. Sophocles wrote three Theban plays based on the histories: he wrote Antigone first, then Oedipus Rex and Oedipus at Colonus; historically, however, the events of Oedipus Rex come first, then of O. at Colonus, then of Antigone. Gilbert Murray (among others) has some interesting things to say about that decision, largely with respect to how the character of Creon changes.

As for the 'doing what the grader wants' angle, it applies everywhere. If you want your building proposal to be approved by the city, you need to make it palatable. It's just a question of how skillful your rhetoric is: fulfill one or two expectations, skirt another, violate another.

Paraphrase: reading is just like lifting weights. All the same basic rules of adaptation apply. Don't read too much in one sitting. Don't try to read too much at once. Don't read too much of any one thing, the same way you wouldn't just do preacher curls for two hours. Take breaks, because it's in the rests that your brain will actually adapt to having read, and better prepare itself to read again.

I forgot you were doing Greek as well. Sophocles wrote three Theban plays based on the histories: he wrote Antigone first, then Oedipus Rex and Oedipus at Colonus; historically, however, the events of Oedipus Rex come first, then of O. at Colonus, then of Antigone. Gilbert Murray (among others) has some interesting things to say about that decision, largely with respect to how the character of Creon changes.

As for the 'doing what the grader wants' angle, it applies everywhere. If you want your building proposal to be approved by the city, you need to make it palatable. It's just a question of how skillful your rhetoric is: fulfill one or two expectations, skirt another, violate another.

yeah, I get you now. and moose, i don't know what got into my iphone, but it types spannish instead of Spanish. I might use that I think your ennglish might work as my sig, thanks moose.

And another tip i got from my english teacher is to not read when you are tired or in a comfortable position because you may doze off.

And Chippa, yeah, i know MSH isn't a great place to talk about this, but I have one or two members that are willing to help me. trust me, this wasn't my first choice for HW help, but I came here once looking for help and got it, so i figured why not if I have talented people willing to help me. hell, I bet a few members could learn a thing or two, or have learned a thing or two, from one of our talented english scholars. No harm intended with any of this post