Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

I have been recording all my rec. league games with a HD helmet camera suction cupped to the boards. I taught one of our regular fans to use the camera so we dont waste battery power and SD card space with warmup footage. So instead of an hour of 1080P game footage of us winning, i am left with this and this only:

Its a pretty neat picture. Phonak is the one shooting!

Redwood City, CA?

(Edited to remove enormous picture.)

Edited by Tailboard Jockey

I skated at the San Jose Sharks Father & Son Clinic over the weekend with my two sons, ages 9 and 12. During the 3 kids + 3 adults (6 vs. 6) scrimmage on Sunday, one of the dads, who is a pretty good player, skated as hard against the kids as he did against adults. Any kids that were skating with the puck were immediately stripped of it by him when he was on the ice, regardless of their age or ability.

I skated at the San Jose Sharks Father & Son Clinic over the weekend with my two sons, ages 9 and 12. During the 3 kids + 3 adults (6 vs. 6) scrimmage on Sunday, one of the dads, who is a pretty good player, skated as hard against the kids as he did against adults. Any kids that were skating with the puck were immediately stripped of it by him when he was on the ice, regardless of their age or ability.

The Sharks may have been watching. Can't let up when there might be potential scouts and teammates around.

That looks like a sick rink. Where is this?? I'd love to go here.

Close to Redwood city... Its actually in San Mateo, CA , and no you dont want to skate there, it's not that great! Smaller then NHL sized, and the ice is the second worst ice in the Bay area (imho). It was pretty at that time though with the sun on one sun and all!

How about this for venting... 100 degree weather makes bad ice... badder (in a bad way!)

Lost in OT in my mens league game to a team that started fights with people on the ground after a 4 goal 10 minute span to tie the game, it would have also been our first win

I'm glad I was coached to go for the knee or head. Even in high level adult wood bat league I have guys leaning into the strike zone. A pitch behind their head remedies that and quick.

I was always coached, when I pitched, that if I should have to throw a purpose pitch to throw for the bottom of the rib cage under the lead arm. If you manage to sneak it in there the pain in terrible. But, the knee is a better option now because, as I said, you can get a protected arm down to protect your ribs from any damage.

I was a bigtime leaner but I took my shots like a man.

I'll lean into/take a pitch any time it gets close enough. It's a free base for me, and even better if I'm down in the count 0-2, 1-2. Only draw back is I throw right handed and bat left... nothing like dangling that throwing elbow out there to get hit, talk about dead-arm. But, I'll never wear a shield there just because the umpires are less likely to give me the benefit of the doubt if I do drop the arm or shoulder a bit to wear the pitch.

I read some of the EvoShield testimonies that read something like, "Little Johnny wouldn't even get into box after he got hit in the back a month ago. Now, after ordering your product, Little Johnny has no fear at the plate and is now one of the best hitters on his team." What happens when Little Johnny hasn't learned to recognize a pitch coming at him out of the pitcher's hand and wears one on the side of the head? These products, while having their place, are ruining baseball at my level, and no doubt teaching bad/dangerous habits at lower levels.

orthopedist is pretty sure I tore my acl. getting an mri next week. If that's the case my next season is already over :(

Dang man, well hopefully he's wrong. Good luck on the MRI

I have no problems with Joe's decision. Very tough for him to make, but, doing the best for the team. Mo did himself in by putting on that North Stars sweater as if it were his last game in order to take a "victory lap."

Love Mo and have had awesome conversations with the guy, but, Joe's doing the right thing for the club.

I disagree completely. Resigning Modano would've been the smarter decision than resigning Barch. With a Ribs trade inevitable, you've got Richards, Wandell, Modano, and Gagnon as your 1-2-3-4 respectively.

Unfortunately, Joe sees it as Richards, Benn, Wandell, and Peterson/Sutherby.

I disagree completely. Resigning Modano would've been the smarter decision than resigning Barch. With a Ribs trade inevitable, you've got Richards, Wandell, Modano, and Gagnon as your 1-2-3-4 respectively.

Unfortunately, Joe sees it as Richards, Benn, Wandell, and Peterson/Sutherby.

From a PR standpoint, not offering Modano was a poor choice. He is the face of the franchise. It just looks bad to not even offer him a contract. That being said, it was the right move to make. I would rather have Wandell and Peterson/Sutherby centering my 3rd and 4th line than Modano. He floated a lot last the last two seasons. That's not a quality you want in a 3rd or 4th line center. Even if the Stars trade Ribeiro, they still have six players under contract who can play center (Richards, Benn, Wandell, Peterson, Sutherby, Ott) and several more centers in the AHL. Modano simply became a luxury that the Stars cannot afford.

From a PR standpoint, not offering Modano was a poor choice. He is the face of the franchise. It just looks bad to not even offer him a contract. That being said, it was the right move to make. I would rather have Wandell and Peterson/Sutherby centering my 3rd and 4th line than Modano. He floated a lot last the last two seasons. That's not a quality you want in a 3rd or 4th line center. Even if the Stars trade Ribeiro, they still have six players under contract who can play center (Richards, Benn, Wandell, Peterson, Sutherby, Ott) and several more centers in the AHL. Modano simply became a luxury that the Stars cannot afford.

Of those six players, only Richards, Wandell, and Sutherby are true centers. Benn is a wing by all accounts, but is being forced to play center for reasons unbeknownst to me. Ott should never, ever play center. He doesn't have the legs for it. Peterson is a winger, and is AHL filler at best, but the Stars seem to have made their bed with him, unfortunately. Of their AHL centers currently in Cedar Park, only Gagnon has a shot at making the club out of camp, albeit as the 4th line center.

So many bad decisions, one after another. 2010/2011 is going to suck soooooooooooooooooo much.

Of those six players, only Richards, Wandell, and Sutherby are true centers. Benn is a wing by all accounts, but is being forced to play center for reasons unbeknownst to me. Ott should never, ever play center. He doesn't have the legs for it. Peterson is a winger, and is AHL filler at best, but the Stars seem to have made their bed with him, unfortunately. Of their AHL centers currently in Cedar Park, only Gagnon has a shot at making the club out of camp, albeit as the 4th line center.

So many bad decisions, one after another. 2010/2011 is going to suck soooooooooooooooooo much.

Still doesn't answer the question of where to put Modano. He's not going to play on one of the top two lines. We saw that this past season when Ribeiro was out with an injury. Benn was moved to center because Modano was not performing well as the second line center. That means if the Stars re-signed Modano he would be forced to play the role of a 3rd of 4th line player. I'd rather have Wandell or Sutherby or Peterson or Gagnon fill out the bottom two lines.

Still doesn't answer the question of where to put Modano. He's not going to play on one of the top two lines. We saw that this past season when Ribeiro was out with an injury. Benn was moved to center because Modano was not performing well as the second line center. That means if the Stars re-signed Modano he would be forced to play the role of a 3rd of 4th line player. I'd rather have Wandell or Sutherby or Peterson or Gagnon fill out the bottom two lines.

Wandell gets the 3rd line, Modano gets the fourth. Call up Gagnon whenever Modano needs a break.

The Stars are operating on a budget and you want them to pay two players to fill one spot? Plus, Modano's style of play is not made for the 4th line. We have plenty of guys that can do a better job of filling that role at a cheaper price. I don't see Modano signing for less $1 million and that's just too much for a 4th liner.

Edited by donkey87

Who in the hell plays in a low level beer league to be an instigator? Had a guy on the other team tonight that yanked my stick out of my hands once, then tried to do it again later in the game. Hammered me with four or five cross checks and slashed me a few times, just for good measure. I eventually lost my cool and Bertuzzi'd him when he wouldn't let go of my stick for the third time.

The Stars are operating on a budget and you want them to pay two players to fill one spot? Plus, Modano's style of play is not made for the 4th line. We have plenty of guys that can do a better job of filling that role at a cheaper price. I don't see Modano signing for less $1 million and that's just too much for a 4th liner.

Exactly why I'm wondering they decided to resign Barch. With that money, there's enough to give Modano his one year contract, and Gagnon a two-way.

Close to Redwood city... Its actually in San Mateo, CA , and no you dont want to skate there, it's not that great! Smaller then NHL sized, and the ice is the second worst ice in the Bay area (imho). It was pretty at that time though with the sun on one sun and all!

How about this for venting... 100 degree weather makes bad ice... badder (in a bad way!)

Darn. I find playing in cool rinks one of the finer things in life. :P