Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

i've heard a few stories about one male who fell off the viaduct. there was an eye witness account on the news last night during the live coverage, and a friend of mine this morning told me that her friend, who works at rogers arena, saw it happen but the media coverage on this story is very limited right now.

I saw an eye witness report last night of that.

He wasn't pushed. If you're at all familiar with the Viaducts on either side of the 'Rog...essentially if you're out in the street and jump over what looks like a tall 3' curb or abbuttment you fall 75' down to concrete. This guy apparently jumped the curb and fell, bounced off the awning and then to the ground in front of the ticket booth will/call.

It's sad to see that 5-10% of people who want to cause trouble are only subdued by police, and that the 90-95% of people don't step in and say "Stop, this is our city!" The pack mentality is strange.

It's sad to see that 5-10% of people who want to cause trouble are only subdued by police, and that the 90-95% of people don't step in and say "Stop, this is our city!" The pack mentality is strange.

Well those 90-95% of people usually have to wake up and go to work the next day. There not cops, they have no reason to stay out in downtown Vancouver until 3am because people are casuing trouble. It's not their business to step in and stop some drunken idiot from breaking things.

They don't need to step in. All they have to do is leave and get out of the way. It would have been much easier for the cops to smash some hooligans' skulls if everyone else wasn't milling around.

Well those 90-95% of people usually have to wake up and go to work the next day. There not cops, they have no reason to stay out in downtown Vancouver until 3am because people are casuing trouble. It's not their business to step in and stop some drunken idiot from breaking things.

You just discussed why the world is going to shit. Even though the youth of today are given participation awards and are coddled and told by their parents that they are special, they in fact have become unable to think, speak, act, or have any ability to freely think and make the world a better place for themselves. Instead their sense of entitlement has crippled them to a point that they are unwilling, unable, or simply do not have the skills to survive as a pioneer or leader in life. Your post enforces my belief that a willingness to be accepted by a pack is more important than attempting to lead a change towards good.

They don't need to step in. All they have to do is leave and get out of the way. It would have been much easier for the cops to smash some hooligans' skulls if everyone else wasn't milling around.

Passivity is the first sign of an unwillingness to change. Guess Rosa Parks should have gone to the back of the bus after all.

You just discussed why the world is going to shit. Even though the youth of today are given participation awards and are coddled and told by their parents that they are special, they in fact have become unable to think, speak, act, or have any ability to freely think and make the world a better place for themselves. Instead their sense of entitlement has crippled them to a point that they are unwilling, unable, or simply do not have the skills to survive as a pioneer or leader in life. Your post enforces my belief that a willingness to be accepted by a pack is more important than attempting to lead a change towards good.

+1

That's not what he's saying Drew, it's about safety; simple as that. Running at a group of crazy rioters shouting 'CHILL THE F*** OUT, THIS IS MY CITY' or even trying to reason with them would only get you a punch to the face or worse yet. They can't do anything about it except to demonstrate after the fact that they are displeased. Look at how many of the garbage collectors are youth. What are they gaining from picking up garbage personally?

I agree with chippa.

Play in a men's league on Thursday nights and its pretty much one of the big things I look forward to every week. So the other team captain calls up and asks if we wanna skip the game and call it a tie so they can go out and celebrate the bruins winning...we say no with it being an early game and say why not go out after. The other team doesn't show up and our team does.

At least we got to use the ice. First off the bruins game was last night, secondly our game was at 710 (go out after), and finally the bruins parade is Saturday so celebrate then.

Oh well guess we'll just wait til next time we play them and chirp em a bit.

I can vent about that league as well JTully. I was going to play, but I have class Tuesday and Thursday 5-8 for the summer semester. Haven't been able to find any quality leagues this summer because of my damn schedule.

Fear is a habit; so is self-pity, defeat, anxiety, despair, hopelessness and resignation. Pretty slippery slope to which I was referring.

If you're not worried about your safety or the next morning, then be my guest and step in. Do what you have to do, grab some people, throw them around. The thing is you can't do anything. It's not like you can buy some handcuffs, arrest them and drive them to the police station yourself. There are way to many legalities to do anything worth doing. If you are unaware there are still arrests and charges being made from the G20 in Toronto last year. What I'm saying is if you want to risk your safety, go for it. But for most people they have to go home to their wife and kids, wake up the next morning and go to work.

It would be a different thing if 100 other people wanted to intervene and stop the dumbasses wreaking havoc but when you're on your own to try and stop some dipshits, best to just leave the area and let the cops do their work. As it's been said, if all the bystanders had gone home, it would have made things a lot more easier for the police and that in itself may have twarted the riots almost by itself. If there are only a couple of dozen people left downtown doing dumb stuff with no one but cameras and cops watching, they'd probably just flee the area too.

Drew I totally agree with your post, but I thought it was funny that you said

Passivity is the first sign of an unwillingness to change
considering your avatar =)

You are mad about that? Or can I just not sense the sarcasm? haha

Seriously, I don't know what it is about me and mosquitos. I can spray myself down in repellent for 10 mins straight and I still end up with 50 mosquito bites on my arms and legs.

Wear light clothing, but more importantly, produce less carbon dioxide and lactic acid. Seriously. Change your respiration and you'll be less of a target. What they're keying on isn't what your sprayed on your skin, but what's coming out of your mouth and nose.

You can tell the Indian reservation has opened the fireworks stands because every little SOB in the neighborhood has M80's and thinks midnight is a great time to set them off. Then some dumbass kid is going to blow his hand off and prompt yet another round of promised "fireworks crack downs." Only when there's an Indian reservation 30 minutes away and everyone and their dog has ass loads of illegal fireworks it's basically asking the cops to do the impossible. Personally, I agree that there really isn't a need to have M80's, and larger, fire crackers around. The solution isn't fireworks bans, but if you let the non-Indian stands sell reasonable fireworks (snakes and sparklers just don't do it for most people) fewer people would go to the res were they can get shit like M80's.

played pickup last night, and since all my undershirts were used and grody, I played with nothing on under my pads up top. I feel like Andy Bernard in the fun run episode of the office. severe nipple chaffing!