Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

After a complete relapse with alcohol addiction, I really find it hard to want to continue living. Prescribed anti depressants didn't work, neither did therapy. Just don't really see the point anymore as selfish as it is.

Starsfan.. I know life has thrown a lot at you this past year, but you gotta keep on motoring on. I have no doubt that the ones you have lost would want you press on. just remember that though they are not physically here their spirit lives on in you.

After a complete relapse with alcohol addiction, I really find it hard to want to continue living. Prescribed anti depressants didn't work, neither did therapy. Just don't really see the point anymore as selfish as it is.

Suicidal tendencies are a nightmarishly common side-effect of anti-depressants. Unless you've been diagnosed with a specific organic dementia that is the cause of or has been caused by your alcohol addiction, and which your prescription is specifically aimed at neutralising, get the hell off them and consult your doctor immediately. This isn't my opinion, informed or otherwise: it's invariably on the script or the package that if you have suicidal thoughts, discontinue.

Beyond that, find a better psychotherapist. Check in with the American Psychological Association (apa.org) for a recommendation. You'll likely find that some combination of group and one-on-one work will be most effective, but it's important not to only do one, or to get discouraged because one or the other doesn't seem to work. Even if you don't "believe in" whatever particular approach a given psychologist favours, or psychology generally, if they have a specialty in your area they will have unfathomable experience in the kind of problems you're having, and they will have seen people who got better before their eyes -- enough to know what may help.

It has nothing to do with safety, it's just a money grab. I saw a recent study that showed accident rates were up at every one of the surveyed locations after cameras were installed.

Probably because people try to beat the yellow but then lock them up when they see they aren't going to make it before it turns red.

Suicidal tendencies are a nightmarishly common side-effect of anti-depressants. Unless you've been diagnosed with a specific organic dementia that is the cause of or has been caused by your alcohol addiction, and which your prescription is specifically aimed at neutralising, get the hell off them and consult your doctor immediately. This isn't my opinion, informed or otherwise: it's invariably on the script or the package that if you have suicidal thoughts, discontinue.

Beyond that, find a better psychotherapist. Check in with the American Psychological Association (apa.org) for a recommendation. You'll likely find that some combination of group and one-on-one work will be most effective, but it's important not to only do one, or to get discouraged because one or the other doesn't seem to work. Even if you don't "believe in" whatever particular approach a given psychologist favours, or psychology generally, if they have a specialty in your area they will have unfathomable experience in the kind of problems you're having, and they will have seen people who got better before their eyes -- enough to know what may help.

On top of this, find a support group. It will be easier to continue on if you can communicate with folks who have been through similar circumstances and have come out on the other side.

Probably because people try to beat the yellow but then lock them up when they see they aren't going to make it before it turns red.

It turned yellow and I figured I COULD have slammed on the brakes...but also figured I'd roll thrugh no problem. There was not a car in sight. Guess I slam 'em on next time.

On top of this, find a support group. It will be easier to continue on if you can communicate with folks who have been through similar circumstances and have come out on the other side.
There should be a group available at your school, most colleges have programs to help.

You'd think that if you get a ticket and one of the options is to go to the office and contest the ticket (re: submit for a lower fine) that when you arrive at the office, said ticket would exist in their file....no...I have to go back next week sometime!

You need to get tickets more often, to familiarize yourself with the system.

I ran across something like that a long time ago, don't remember if it was traffic or parking tickets. Annoying.

Edited by wrangler

You need to get tickets more often, to familiarize yourself with the system.

I ran across something like that a long time ago, don't remember if it was traffic or parking tickets. Annoying.

LOL...not planning on getting any more. LOL! A friend told me he got a Red LIght ticket a cvouple years ago around this time of year. He went in and said..."it's 2 pay cheques before Xmas....any chance of an extention" and they gave him 6 months....so if they won't lower it...I'll try that route.

Try to think "outside of yourself" and look objectively at your situation. Remember that time is important in any healing process. It's easy to feel hopeless in an impulsive way, but when you give your mind a chance to rest and be still, it's easier to accept the idea that you can come through a period of desperation and your quality of life can improve.

I've had my own issues (far less, it seems, than what you're going through) and what I have found most helpful is just reminding myself that there isn't really an alternative to living. Life is painful, but the only way to end that pain is to end life. That's not relief of pain, it's obliteration.

Literally been waiting a month for my Combat shaft to show up. It was supposed to ship out on a certain date, but it took longer than expected, so I obviously couldn't use it for the first 3 weeks of the season. UPS finally takes possession of the shaft and after a delay, they schedule it to ship, spend a week in transit, and show up late today. Great, I figured, seeing as my next game is tonight and I'll probably be able to rush home from work, open it up, throw a blade in it, prep it, and use it in time for tonight. UPS guy never shows and finally they update their tracking number on the site for it to say: "Package lost and then found at UPS facility. Delivery delayed until next business day or indefinitely."

:angry:

Edited by Scotty

Haha...love the money grab argument.

there was an article in USA today citing a study that came to the same conclusion that I did

there was an article in USA today citing a study that came to the same conclusion that I did

Perhaps this is the article?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-26/red-light-camera-deals/50943554/1

Hardly a rigorous study, but worthy of reporting I suppose. I should note that the US and Canadian systems seem to work very differently. There are no "deals" with the vendors here and no profit sharing. The units are purchased at a cost of around $100000CDN.

I work in law enforcement and a few years ago I was asked to participate in meetings with local police and our Region's Public Works Department to discuss road safety and efforts to reduce speed and collisions (particularly fatalities). Other than how much the equipment cost, there was no discussion around using technology as a source of income for the Region. The mandate from the Chief of police was clear: make the roads safer. For the record, I did not recommend red light cameras.

Perhaps keeping the politicians away from these meetings helps focus on road safety rather than “money grabs.”

As we've discussed a few times in chat, I've walked down a very similar path a few times in my life. Never hesitate to send me a PM.

StarsFan71, I'm not really known around the forum but I'm in the DFW metroplex. I've recently been hit with stuff and while I'm not on anti-depressants or have seen anybody, I could use a hockey buddy to help me get thru things as well. Where do you play at? I'm ususally at open skates at the DrPepper centers on Wed/THurs. Come out, Dude.

Played the top team in the league tonight. They have a 11-1 record, and talent to spare. We handed them their only loss the last time we played. With a 1-1 tie in the third, our goalie gets injured (likely ACL, see you next year). While he's down, they're talking sh*t about him the whole time. Our replacement goalie did his best, but we got shelled in the last 8 min, with a final score of 9-1. They then proceed to start a shoving match and a scrum during the handshake. I skated to the bench and stayed out of it - and had an assclown from their team follow me back the whole way, chirping "Man up! Man up!" At another time in my life, I was an unarmed combat instructor in the forces. Now, I have a job in education, and an assault charge would end that pretty quick. I usually smile to myself when I'm walking away from idiots like this, but tonight, sweet jesus, I would love to have 'manned up,' and left him on the ice wondering which dislocation the doctor was going to fix first.

Online dating sucks! Just be honest and post an honest pic. If you are tiny up top and built like a mac track waist down. Explain it or show it! It almost would not matter if I knew what to expect when I showed up!

So, had a job interview today and had to cancel. Felt great in the morning yesterday, then went to do community service with the youth group I volunteer with. In the sun the temperature was in the mid-70's, so I wore shorts and a tee-shirt. They moved our group to shaded area half way through... started shivering and getting chills almost instantly. Around 730-8 I started getting really tired/dizzy, and couldn't get myself warm, ended up in bed by 930. Called the recruiter's office and apologized for cancelling last minute. Today, the chills are not as bad, but I still am light-headed and foggy. I hope it passes quickly.

For the last two years, In conjunction with my prinicpal, I've been working like a slave on setting up curriculum and dealing with contractors for the construction and transition to a brand new, $13 million dollar high school. I've been teaching special education and other subjects in a collection of run down, leaky portables for the last 8 years. I've taught my carpentry classes outdoors on good days for the last 5 years, and have been looking forward to using the $35k worth of new machinery and tools that my new, 3500 sq foot carpentry shop is equipped with. Except...

At 2:45 today, I was informed that I will likely be staying at my existing facility, to teach adult education. "You've done such a good job dealing with the startup and implementation of the new school, we feel that you'd be a good presence here."

F. M. L.

Edited for somehow repeating the whole text again.

Edited by Grinder

If you are going to suspend all manner of logic and common sense in approaching skate rental (and history shows that you definitely are) at least do me the courtesy of asking me for skate advice, not your just as dumb/uninformed companion. You'd think by the fourth time you're back up at the counter, you'd start listening to me and not the guy who's wearing what appears to be a solid plastic bauer skate with inner lime green sock/boot. (ie, a rollerblade with fixed skate blade, weirdest thing I've seen in a while.)