Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

After playing basketball 3 times, and hockey once, this week, without injury, I somehow managed to pull something in my calf stepping backwards while hand-propping a Piper Cub. Of all the fluke injuries!

Got in an accident last night. A deer jumped in front of me so I swerved and went up a curb into a field. Cracked my front bumper, rear bumper, missing both wheel well covers and scratched my carbon fiber hood. Looks like I'm doing my JDM Conversion before my Motor Build. =( More money that I don't have that I gotta spend.

Yes, I'm ok... thanks guys. It was really only cosmetic damage to my front and rear bumpers. They got cracked. I thought there would be more because I was going at least 45-50mph straight into the curb. She's in the shop now and I should have her back by next Thursday.

That turn of events should actually be a Sweet Spot, because it could have been a much worse outcome. Cars and bumpers can be replaced!

That turn of events should actually be a Sweet Spot, because it could have been a much worse outcome. Cars and bumpers can be replaced!

Very true! The people behind me thought I was done for. I had all 4 wheels in the air and luckily went into an empty field. phewwww.

Now that football is here, SCREW YOU TIME WARNER/INSIGHT cable company. the ONLY provider that decided not to sign a deal with the NFL, preventing me from having the RedZone channel. F YOU.

I guess we're to the point where it's going to be wall to wall football and politics on the news and facebook, at least until the election.

Spent the entire game chasing three guys on the other team, watching them go end to end whenever they felt like it. Unfortunately, that was every time they touched the puck. Somehow, we only lost 5-4.

That is when you just sit back and wait for them to come to you and then force them and collapse. Most times those kind of guys never pass so it actually makes it easier to defend.

That is when you just sit back and wait for them to come to you and then force them and collapse. Most times those kind of guys never pass so it actually makes it easier to defend.

Oh no, those guys could/would pass too. The one guy was good enough that any seam between players was in invitation to go end to end. I kept one of them off the score sheet by hooking, holding and slashing when he beat me to the outside.

Scored the tying goal to go 1-1. Watched as one of our guys made a beautiful play to go up 2-1. We held it until 5 mins left. Then the ref show began.

Other teams D misplays the puck (bad pass if i recall) and it ends up just on their side of the blue line against the boards. I skate in to poke it deep, and their D-man skates up to poke it out. I end up getting there first, poke the puck past him, and he runs into me. Whatever, no big deal, incidental contact - both of us going full speed for a loose puck, a collision was no surprise.

They end up managing to get it out, and then we knock it back in while im still in the zone. Off-side. Okay, broken play, whatever. So we're lining up, and ref yells "13 blue" and im like WTF? He calls me for INTERFERENCE. I have no idea what game he was watching... Seriously? Interference? From what, exactly, considering the collision happened AFTER i had already knocked the puck in.

So whatever, I yell at the ref a bit and sit in the box. They attack on the PP, and one of their guys runs our goalie. Our goalie pushes him out of the crease, and the guy starts swinging shoving our goalie and ends up on top of him. Puck back to the point... shot... goal. Game tied 2-2. I get out of the box.

Next shift on the ice, I go in and get set for a point shot in front of the net. I'm WAY deep in the crease and i can feel the goalie behind me. I try to move forward, but their D-man backs up into me so I have nowhere to go. I put both hands on his back and give him a shove (no cross-check motion at all what so ever). He goes FLYING. I mean seriously, he slid all the way to the faceoff dot. I've never seen a grown man fall so easily. Of course they call me... 2 for cross-check. And of course with 10 seconds left in the game, they score to make it 3-2. Our captain ended up with a 10 min misconduct for letting his feelings known.

The weird part is that I was actually going to thank this ref for such a good job, up until that first penalty. One of our guys got drilled into the boards and I guess they didn't see it. We were yelling at him, reminding him it was a non-checking league. He skated over, said something funny and we all laughed. It totally diffused the situation. I don't know why more refs don't do similar.

The other ref is just as worthless, he has a history of bad calls and talking crap to players. He's the one that told me to "learn to skate" when a guy tripped me last season. And after the 2-2 goal, with one of our guys complaining about the lack of calls, he skates to the bench and says "well i just called the goal they scored, hows that?" What a dick.

We've had bad games from refs before, but I've never ever lost my shit like I did last night. Nor have I ever seen our captain get angry like that - ever.

I realize these refs are just kids who dont give a damn and arent paid much, but have a little pride in what you do!

Edited by OptimusReim

I imagine the refs are just upset that you were bitching at them. They are kids, and can be just as spiteful as you are.

I can't speak for them specifically, but I know I get paid rather well to ref.

I imagine the refs are just upset that you were bitching at them. They are kids, and can be just as spiteful as you are.

I can't speak for them specifically, but I know I get paid rather well to ref.

Heh, one of my teammates laughed during beers after and said "now did it occur to you they called the second one because you bitched about the first one?" My response: "Well of course that's why, it's not like I did anything wrong on the play..." We all got a good laugh :)

Sorry, I was just assuming they didn't get paid much based on their lack of a damn being given :P

If you shoved a guy with both hands and knocked him down, it was still a penalty. Does it really matter if they called interference or cross checking?

If you shoved a guy with both hands and knocked him down, it was still a penalty. Does it really matter if they called interference or cross checking?

The interference was the first penalty, for when their guy ran into me after i played the puck.

I guess I was more mad that they couldn't tell it was a dive, than anything. I've had guys push me a whole lot harder than that in front of the net before. It wasn't even a shove, it was a push (shove implies some level of force, a push is just me trying to lean forward on him so I could get out of the crease, putting my weight on him to move him). I was SHOCKED when he went flying. Amazing theatrics, really.

Whatever, this is the venting spot, so I was venting. Horrible calls, but what can ya do? It's beer league.

Edited by OptimusReim

Played a game against a younger and bigger team last night... they scored their first goal after 8 secs. Game was definitely theirs, just depended on how many they wanted to score against us. After first period we were 8-1 down

Halfway thru the first period, goalie stopped the puck, but never covered it. I went in to poke the puck, got pushed from behind by D Man #1, which caused me to collide with D Man #2 and the goalie, and all three came after me. Three against one, I just pushed back and told them to f-off. Ref gave #1 and #2 penalties, and told me he was giving me a penalty as well. I asked him what the penalty was for, he said 'slashing'. I replied it was bullshit, and he tried to explain. Cut him short and told him 'I dont need an explanation, you call it like you see it'

Next period, same thing happened, this time puck was about 6" away from goalie. I went in again and got hit by #1 and #2 again. Ref gives #1 a penalty, nothing for me. One of my team mates then goes face to face with their best player, just squaring off, no gloves dropped. Ref tells both to head to the box, and the other team best player keeps yapping in the box. Ref ejects him from the game, he gets two game suspension. My team mate told him that if he couldnt hack it, to start playing volleyball. This guy ends up waiting for my team mate in the carpark ALONG WITH HIS PARENTS, and all three of them threatening my team mate that they would damage his car. The period continues with them still winning, yet getting extremely frustrated and drawing stupid penalties.

End of game, hand shake line... I go to the goalie and extend my hand to shake his, and he tries to kick my feet out from under me... through the whole handshake thing I hear all the chirps and name calling. Talk about sportsmanship...

Funny thing was, the game ended with us losing 8-5, and yet feeling like we won the game.