Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

My kid got knocked down in practice Saturday by another kid who hasn't learned to stop yet. Twice.
Second time resulted in a mild concussion. :angry:

He needs to learn how to stop--he's taken the coach out on the ice and at the door.

She needs to learn to keep her head up and be more aware--and stop/maneuver to avoid traffic.

I held her out of her game on Sunday, and she'll miss practice tonight if she's not 100%.

I know its the right decision, but it still pisses me off.

Just venting, but it would be slightly easier to accept if it were fully her own fault.

My kid got knocked down in practice Saturday by another kid who hasn't learned to stop yet. Twice.

Second time resulted in a mild concussion. :angry:

He needs to learn how to stop--he's taken the coach out on the ice and at the door.

She needs to learn to keep her head up and be more aware--and stop/maneuver to avoid traffic.

I held her out of her game on Sunday, and she'll miss practice tonight if she's not 100%.

I know its the right decision, but it still pisses me off.

Just venting, but it would be slightly easier to accept if it were fully her own fault.

That sucks that your daughter wound up with a concussion. Hope she's well soon!

Is it possible for you or another parent (with the coach's approval) to lace 'em up, take the other youngster aside and help them work on a few skating fundamentals like stopping? Sounds like it could help everyone enjoy things a little more, including the youngster.

Thanks sickwilly,

She missed practice last night--got a little dizzy running in PE class yesterday. Better safe than sorry.
She's improving. I'm frustrated that she's not healing faster, but I don't tell her that.

My good buddy's daughter is also on the team, and he's the assistant coach. I discussed it with him on our way to adult drop-in hockey on Sunday night.

He's the coach who was taken out on the ice and at the door. I didn't want to be the parent who tells the coach what to do, but I think he grasped that between his own experience and my daughter's it would be a good learning opportunity for the guy. I'll follow up next week.

I can't get on the ice during practices yet--our association follows USA Hockey rules closely, and I haven't yet done any coaching modules. I will do my first one on 12/21, and if the kid isn't stopping by then, I'll throw my hat in the ring. The kid is an un-coordinated gangly kid...just like I was. I think I'll start easy and tell him I'm going to coach him on how to use his long reach...and throw in instruction about stopping. :)

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 1

I've been dealing with a "superbug" for about a year now and I'm sick of it. I basically never feel good enough to leave the house, I drive to the gas station maybe once or twice a week for a few minutes to get out of the house. I had an operation with a 94% success rate early in November that had no effect, and that was after taking several rounds of a few of the the best medicines available. I'll be talking with the doc this week to see what's next, hopefully we can find a solution. I really just want it gone so I can go back to a normal life. Oh and also so I can play hockey... :mad:

Edited by DolomaticDangles

Working retail in Black Friday.

Try Black Friday AND Cyber Monday. My store is the distribution center for the MI market so we battle 3 fronts daily; store, receiving and shipping online orders. Just put in 14 hrs today trying to get packages out the door.

Try Black Friday AND Cyber Monday. My store is the distribution center for the MI market so we battle 3 fronts daily; store, receiving and shipping online orders. Just put in 14 hrs today trying to get packages out the door.

Ouch.

Having skates that didn't work at Winterfest, due to making a rookie mistake -- getting my skates sharpened someplace different, with no time to try them first.

I hate when you do a team pay and get intentionally run in a game 1/4 way through the season and can't get a refund. I hate that I am out for the rest of the season AND couldn't go to WinterFest because of said injury...