Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

I just wanna forget 2013... Started it with a med grade PCL tear, torn cartridge and meniscus right knee.. back on the ice August and now this....

Left leg just below my knee plus some sort of splinter fracture just above my ankle and a really badly twisted ankle... Seeing Otho doc tomorrow - at least it wasn't the spiral fracture of the tibia that I feared when I did it:

4889582e-b414-4d80-97e3-5acb9c2538cc.jpg

I just wanna forget 2013... Started it with a med grade PCL tear, torn cartridge and meniscus right knee.. back on the ice August and now this....

Left leg just below my knee plus some sort of splinter fracture just above my ankle and a really badly twisted ankle... Seeing Otho doc tomorrow - at least it wasn't the spiral fracture of the tibia that I feared when I did it:

Aw, man, that sucks. Hope your recovery goes quickly and well.

Well, Saw the Ortho today... She's not worried about the break, said it should heal just fine without a cast. That's a good thing 'cuz I was not looking forward to having a cast crotch to floor.... but she's more concerned about my ankle - said that my ankle injury is "sort of like a high ankle sprain, but worse"????

SOOOOOO, It's "RICE" and wait.....

My dogwalking - client? boss? - asked if I could dogsit over Christmas, and I had to say no because I've got a lot going on (including a medical thing which will put me out for a day) that week, but I still feel terrible about it because I've been working for him/the dog for two years and I know it's very hard to get a dogsitter on short notice over a holiday. Frustrating situation.

I hope you didn't go to Tootsie's.

I have no idea which places we were in, but I'm guessing that I was nowhere near there.

My Squirt daughter (age 10) wants to play goalie for the U14 team. None of the girls on the current roster want to play in the net. The two girls who were "nudged" into playing goalie their last games don't want to do it. She played an exhibition game with them on Saturday and they recruited her.

Sounds like a perfect fit, doesn't it?

My 12yo daughter doesn't want little sis to play on "her" team. :sad:

Time to play hockey referee dad!

• Like 1

That conversation might have gone too easily, or I'm a master of reverse psychology.

"Hey kid, we need to get to the rink early for your scrimmage tonight so we can get you fitted with the goalie pads."

"NOOOOO!!!!"

"I thought you said your sister couldn't play with the older girls, and your team needs a goalie."

"NNNOOOOOO!!! I WANT HER TO PLAY!"

Now I just need to make sure lil sis isn't smug about it.

• Like 2

That conversation might have gone too easily, or I'm a master of reverse psychology.

"Hey kid, we need to get to the rink early for your scrimmage tonight so we can get you fitted with the goalie pads."

"NOOOOO!!!!"

"I thought you said your sister couldn't play with the older girls, and your team needs a goalie."

"NNNOOOOOO!!! I WANT HER TO PLAY!"

Now I just need to make sure lil sis isn't smug about it.

Well played. Hopefully there's not some team hazing ritual that your 12yo has realized she'll get to subject her sister to.

• Like 1

Hahaha that's brilliant.

Venting topic of the day: ingrates: contemptible, loathesome, self-aggrandising ingrates. What kind of fool sees a free, volunteer skills session as something that should exist for his son's sole benefit, then attempts to submarine the entire program when someone has the temerity to suggest that it should serve everyone equally? The kind I'm dealing with right now, that's who. Classic reasoning, too: his son, who is barely a competent house league goalie and no kind of athlete, *would* be a superstar lock for a first-round OHL pick if only everyone would see his potential, and kowtow to his ridiculous demands. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but it's honestly the first time since I was 15 I've had to deal with this kind of bullshit, and I'm even less impressed now than I was as a kid.

• Like 2

:(

This doesn't fit in the vent thread, but serves to show that not all goalie parents are morons. The girls scrimmaged against the peewee team last night. They got trounced 0-9. My youngest stuck it out but was bushed at the end of the game and her legs were so sore she could hardly stand up. I was helping her pull her pads out in the hallway when the peewee goalie came out and high-fived her and told her she played really well. That meant more than all the compliments from her own teammates. His parents may or may not be raising a superstar goalie, but they are raising a superstar kid!

• Like 4

One parent cools down, another parent heats up. :facepalm: Worrying that I didn't handle the situation as well (as assertively) as I could have, and hoping it's not a conflict I'll have to deal with again. I understand a parent being worried about their kid's safety, and it stemmed from a valid point initially. (We're a learn-to-play program with a wide discrepancy in age, size, and experience, even within the age groups (4-7/8 and 7/8 - 10), and sometimes smallish 7/8 year olds are playing with much bigger 9/10 year olds - usually, all I have to do is remind the bigger kids that they need to watch themselves, they heed, life goes on.) But having sharp words with some poor kid (who is not yours) over the boards isn't okay, and I wished I'd done a better job to making it clear to Parent that on-ice safety is the coaches' responsibility and we'll handle it. :sad: It was something I hadn't had to deal with before, had no one else to back me up, and no clear instruction on how to handle Parent Issues .

My Squirt daughter (age 10) wants to play goalie for the U14 team. None of the girls on the current roster want to play in the net. The two girls who were "nudged" into playing goalie their last games don't want to do it. She played an exhibition game with them on Saturday and they recruited her.

Sounds like a perfect fit, doesn't it?

My 12yo daughter doesn't want little sis to play on "her" team. :sad:

Time to play hockey referee dad!

Deal with this all the time. Only once did we let the younger player up and realized after even though she was very mature the language and topics discussed in the dressing room (although I am sure u14 is not near as bad as being 12 on a U19 team) Still the comparison would be similar. I would have to put the foot down on this. It would be difficult for both but if its for more then a one time event then no the 10 year old will have to wait.

That being said if it's for more then one game then no. Sorry.

Just my 2 cents. (many years in girls hockey!)

• Like 1

Sounds like an overprotective reason to hold a kid back. She won't hear anything in the room that she doesn't hear from her older sister and friends anyway. If she can handle the play then let her play.

otg28 and I traded some PM's. It's all good. His concern was rooted in experience.

He advised I should watch out for older girls and their attitudes, especially should she have an off game.

There are really nice girls on the team--but it was not something I had considered, and I thanked him for that.

Bad news: Scheduled to work over the holiday

Good News: Now off for christmas

Bad News: Because of another turbulence related concussion

I've said this before, but it is well past time to get a new job.

• Like 1

Extremely worried about what I am going to do in 5 months when I graduate. I have no idea what I want to do, and I really don't want to end up being a barista at Starbucks. I won't have much student debt (15k or so), but it's still another thing to stress over. I see my peers that KNOW what they want to do, and it makes me jealous. I have a strong desire to be successful, but that only gets you so far today.......The opportunities aren't what they once were (i.e The Tech boom of the 90's/2000's). Everything just seems so dreary and depressing (which is why I don't watch the news anymore)

UGH.

Edited by kovalchuk71

Extremely worried about what I am going to do in 5 months when I graduate. I have no idea what I want to do, and I really don't want to end up being a barista at Starbucks. I won't have much student debt (15k or so), but it's still another thing to stress over. I see my peers that KNOW what they want to do, and it makes me jealous. I have a strong desire to be successful, but that only gets you so far today.......The opportunities aren't what they once were (i.e The Tech boom of the 90's/2000's). Everything just seems so dreary and depressing (which is why I don't watch the news anymore)

UGH.

What did you study?