Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Sprained my ankle crashing into the boards last night. hopefully it isn't too severe as I haven't had anything like this happen before

Ouch. Hope it's not bad & you recover quickly.

College is a big bubble for the academics who run the college.

Why should they burst their own bubble by keeping it real for the people who subsidize their bread line?

My accounting degree is serving me just fine.

My accounting degree is serving me just fine.

As are my music performance degrees, in spite of the fact that I'm not performing for a living and (as I've posted extensively about in my little "journal" thread) may be moving into an unrelated field.

I think elementary and secondary schooling are falling hugely short compared to past standards, and college can't make up for that. College itself isn't the problem; it's the expectation that college is a ticket to every dream coming true and a lack of life skills on the part of students/young people becoming more prevalent that are really problematic.

In the IT world, a college degree is nothing more than the ability to check a box on an application. And even then, companies are starting to wake up to the reality that a degree isn't especially useful in that space, and often put "or equivalent certification and experience" on job listings now.

Rough week on the HordieGowe fleet. My beater 1999 F150 truck finally had the transmission go, nothing unexpected and was a good run with that truck. Was great for hauling stuff etc, seemed like I was always loaning it out to someone for something. Scrapped it and moved on. While on my way to work was involved in a hit and run. Lady ran a red light in her Ford Econoline conversion van, hit my car and fled the scene. She drove a bit then took off on foot into the snow. Cops got her soon after, turns out she had some warrants and was drunk. Found the last tidbit to be ironic considering the business I'm in and it was 1pm. Thankfully no one was hurt, outside of my few month old CTS. Talked to the dealer and it is a 50/50 chance the car may be done. So I'm now in the market for a new beater truck and maybe a car.

Damn, when she gets out of jail ask if she wants another econoline conversion. I think I'm going to sell the one I bought for the hockey tournament last year. Glad to hear that you are well, though.

f-ing TMJ is killing me for the last 2 weeks. Had it "fixed" when I had my wisdom teeth out 20+years ago.

Came back with a vengeance thanks to hockey. Shoulder to the jaw.... not his fault just muckin' in the corner.

As are my music performance degrees, in spite of the fact that I'm not performing for a living and (as I've posted extensively about in my little "journal" thread) may be moving into an unrelated field.

As are my Construction Engineering degrees. I work in my degree field, but that doesn't change the fact that for the most part, college professors live in a small bubble and do not prepare students for the real world.

My real world and high school vocational classes (welding, metals, woods, typing, electronics, drafting) were every bit as much an asset as the 4 year diploma and the master's.

I think elementary and secondary schooling are falling hugely short compared to past standards, and college can't make up for that. College itself isn't the problem; it's the expectation that college is a ticket to every dream coming true and a lack of life skills on the part of students/young people becoming more prevalent that are really problematic.

I agree in part. Some high school curricula have focused on "college prep" instead of "life prep". In that sense, college can't make up for something that it had a hand in creating (highly educated people without diverse marketable skills)

"Get a college education" is what students hear. "Get marketable skills" is what they should be told.

As are my Construction Engineering degrees. I work in my degree field, but that doesn't change the fact that for the most part, college professors live in a small bubble and do not prepare students for the real world.

True, and certainly there are problems with college curricula and faculty being in many ways disconnected from the worlds their students will be entering, but I would argue that it's not the responsibility of a college professor to prepare students for the "real world." Truth be told, a bachelor's program (at least in music, I've given this a lot of thought before, and I would think that this would translate to most fields) that really comprehensively prepares students for the "real world" would require 6-7 years of study.

And, really, it would require students to be better equipped to carry out college-level study and work upon entrance. I've read way too many papers by undergrad, and shockingly, grad students that shouldn't have received passing grades in high school, let alone college or grad school.

Edited to correct spelling error in my rant about bad writing.

Edited by McDugan
  • Like 2

On top of losing my job as of 5:01 tomorrow (which actually could go in the Sweet Spot too), my car decided it didn't want to start today and now I'm probably looking at having to get a new starter and the belt tensioner fixed too.....great. Just great.

My mother is in the hospital with a mass and fluid in her abdomen. (she actually went in because she had abnormally low sodium levels, but guess why that was...) :sad:

I've read way too many papers by undergrad, and shockingly, grad students that shouldn't have received passing grades in high school, let alone college or grad school.

Oh, but in this day and age you can't give students bad grades because it might "hurt their feelings".

Oh, but in this day and age you can't give students bad grades because it might "hurt their feelings".

LOL not true where I am. But at the same time, as with countless other things, that whole sentiment feels exaggerated and sensationalized to generate traffic. Unless someone did a research study?

• Like 1

True, and certainly there are problems with college curricula and faculty being in many ways disconnected from the worlds their students will be entering, but I would argue that it's not the responsibility of a college professor to prepare students for the "real world." Truth be told, a bachelor's program (at least in music, I've given this a lot of thought before, and I would think that this would translate to most fields) that really comprehensively prepares students for the "real world" would require 6-7 years of study.

And, really, it would require students to be better equipped to carry out college-level study and work upon entrance. I've read way too many papers by undergrad, and shockingly, grad students that shouldn't have received passing grades in high school, let alone college or grad school.

Edited to correct spelling error in my rant about bad writing.

I agree, but neither should be a detriment to the other. Students should learn to write in high school. They should also learn some vocational skills. Their critical thinking and leadership skills should be honed in postsecondary studies. I had college professors who were trying to teach students to be just like them (academics), instead of promoting well-rounded, marketable individuals with diverse skill sets.

Example: My professors wouldn't approve any construction engineering internships where the interns would be doing manual labor. They would only approve internships where students were in an office setting. This was an opportunity to broaden their skillset while not being a detriment to their academic experience. This is a huge disservice; if students had no prior experience, they were far less marketable than students who had independently started "from the bottom up". When I need to go in the field to communicate tasks to the carpenters and laborers doing them, it makes a big difference that I can speak their language.

I agree, but neither should be a detriment to the other. Students should learn to write in high school. They should also learn some vocational skills. Their critical thinking and leadership skills should be honed in postsecondary studies. I had college professors who were trying to teach students to be just like them (academics), instead of promoting well-rounded, marketable individuals with diverse skill sets.

Example: My professors wouldn't approve any construction engineering internships where the interns would be doing manual labor. They would only approve internships where students were in an office setting. This was an opportunity to broaden their skillset while not being a detriment to their academic experience. This is a huge disservice; if students had no prior experience, they were far less marketable than students who had independently started "from the bottom up". When I need to go in the field to communicate tasks to the carpenters and laborers doing them, it makes a big difference that I can speak their language.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I do encourage students to take it upon themselves to recognize (or find someone who can show them) what they need to learn and find a way to make it happen.

Now, to really vent - woke up sick today (at 5:00am, thank you 2 yr. old!), felt just enough better to go to work after 3 hours of kid duty, and have gotten progressively worse all day. Luckily most of my office is out of town at a conference today and I took a 2-hour nap. Now I have to go run a volunteer board meeting instead of going home. I'm the President, so I really should be there I might have to just show up and leave my notes and things with the VP and head home.

You can't really be mad at a professor who won't let you earn college credits for pushing a wheelbarrow around. If you want to spend some time learning from the bottom, well, you've got 3 summers between when you start and when you graduate.

• Like 1

Fair statement when you put it that simply. I can't argue with that. :)

Don't worry, Chippa will still find a way to argue over it. ;)

• Like 1

id do just about anything to stop coughing

See if a doc will prescribe you codeine cough syrup. Even if it doesn't totally quell the cough, you'll stop caring. :wink:

(in seriousness, coughs suck, hope you feel better.)

Edited by badger_14