Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

You get who you get. The good teams deal with it/adjust accordingly.

Thats sort of the problem, we suck. ;)

Edited by Zjack38
  • Like 1

Our neighbor/friend just told us yesterday that he is making a claim against our homeowner's insurance for a fall that he took in our driveway a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if he is going to sue us/our insurance company yet. He also happens to be the guy who does the plowing and sanding of our driveway (we have an agreement that he does it every time that it's needed). At the time, he was picking up his granddaughter after we babysat her (free of charge), while he went out and played virtual golf at the bar. He just so happened to decide to do that before sanding the roads/driveways that day, even though we were just had a pretty significant ice storm. I'm pretty nervous about what happens next and how it might affect us financially. I'm also pretty irritated that this is what we get for trying to help the guy have a little fun/free time.

That's my gut feeling. I doubt he'll sue or try to get anything other than medical expenses covered. It seems like he tried to wait it out to see if it got better. In the end, I suppose he did make the decision to put it on us. Nothing I'd do to a friend, for sure.

I would remove "friend" from your opening line because that's not something a real friend would do.

Seriously!?!? Call your insurance agent and give them the heads-up that they might want to go after the person contracted to salt/sand your driveway because someone fell down.

:mad:

:ph34r:

You have to love morons in today's litigious society.

"You failed to make your driveway safe by allowing me not to take care of the driveway before I went to the bar."

Chippa, you hit the nail on the head. I'm thinking and hoping that the clown is just trying to get his medical stuff covered (since he also has no health insurance) and that he doesn't sue for anything beyond that. I have definitely informed the insurance company of the fact that he is the guy that is supposed to take care of our plowing and sanding. I'll be really pissed if this winds up costing us a lot out-of-pocket and/or causing our premiums to spike.

That's why you have insurance -- because you have liability for certain occurrences on your property. Your liability here depends on fact, law, and circumstances. His friendship doesn't help him pay his medical expenses, so I wouldn't be surprised if he simply makes a claim with your insurer just to see if they think that you are liable for this. If he's not charging you for taking care of your driveway, he's been doing you a favor. If he is charging you, he should have business insurance. Either way, it's interesting that he would claim for an injury if it's due to a hazard that he was asked to remove.

He doesn't have to sue, in order to file a claim with your insurer. The company will evaluate the claim, and make a decision. They may pay something just to avoid the costs of going to court. If they make a payment that satisfies him, he'll have no reason to sue. If it comes to a lawsuit, I'd expect that you and your insurer will be named as defendants. Your insurer has a duty to defend, so they'll secure a lawyer.

Ever have one of those days, that turns into one of those weeks, that turns into one of those months? I'm hoping my luck changes soon, I can't take much more of this.

• Like 2

I was waiting to get my skates sharpened an total hockey, so I went into the shooting range area, and I still had my dress clothes on from my game earlier in the day. We'll anyways first shot ( I still had my dress shoes on, so it was kind of slippery) I ate it.

Reviewed the tapes last night, OMG did we laugh our asses off.

Your buddy went in the booth first, then you went in and we see you disappear and a stick and legs in the air.

Next time, read the signs we have posted - only one person in the booth, mmkay?

• Like 4

I messed up a proposal for a huge project opportunity. We got uninvited to the project interview.

Left one page out of a .pdf file. :mad::facepalm:

When you and your competitors are all fairly close in qualifications, the owner can and will use those little things to weed one out. :wacko:

Left one page out of a .pdf file. :mad::facepalm:

Oh man that sucks. Just the kind of thing that could happen to anyone and always happens at the wrong time.

I cancelled a "guy's trip" vacation for this interview, too.

Silver lining is that I'll still get to watch my daughters' squirt games this weekend that I'd have missed if I went on the trip.

• Like 1

Home early from work due to the snow. Finally, after 5+ years, they have gotten it together to tell us where we can access our email from the web (i.e. in order to get some work done at home). Get home and try to log in, and my IP address is inexplicably blacklisted and can't access the company's domain. And now I am reminded why I want a new job.

Edited by McDugan

Parent told his kid not to bother passing or trying to pass because "no one's going to be there anyway" and then asked me to confirm that, "it doesn't matter because no one else can pass at this level, right?" :mad: Man, it's called Learn to Play for a reason (in this case, 4 - 6ish). I tried to play it neutral and said "Well, everyone's learning. It's a process." I am not sure that went over well...

(The thing of it is, the kid and a couple of others were actually passing pretty well with each other. I mean no one here is making Stanley-Cup-winning tic-tac-toe plays here, but the puck is getting from Player A to Player B with reasonable consistency.)

• Like 1

Parent told his kid not to bother passing or trying to pass because "no one's going to be there anyway" and then asked me to confirm that, "it doesn't matter because no one else can pass at this level, right?" :mad: Man, it's called Learn to Play for a reason (in this case, 4 - 6ish). I tried to play it neutral and said "Well, everyone's learning. It's a process." I am not sure that went over well...

(The thing of it is, the kid and a couple of others were actually passing pretty well with each other. I mean no one here is making Stanley-Cup-winning tic-tac-toe plays here, but the puck is getting from Player A to Player B with reasonable consistency.)

Parents like that are the worst part of youth sports. Obviously passing to the other kids will keep his son from making the NHL.

• Like 2

Parents like that are the worst part of youth sports. Obviously passing to the other kids will keep his son from making the NHL.

Daughter, actually. 6-year-old Olympic hopeful, maybe? :wink:

College is a big bubble for the academics who run the college.

Why should they burst their own bubble by keeping it real for the people who subsidize their bread line?

Point well taken. I guess higher 'education' needs to take on a new definition then ha.

My accounting degree is serving me just fine.

I'm glad I majored in Accounting. It gives the degree holder many options when heading into the work force and/or post-grad education.

• Like 1

Point well taken. I guess higher 'education' needs to take on a new definition then ha.

I'm glad I majored in Accounting. It gives the degree holder many options when heading into the work force and/or post-grad education.

Agreed on both points. The education system is broken. When making money and producing a winning football team is more important than educating its students, you know there is something wrong. Unfortunately, money is what drives this world, so it's pretty unlikely to change.

Good call on the accounting degree. Being flexible is so important. Thats why while I would never EVER encourage somebody to get an IT-related degree (complete waste of time and money), those people should absolutely work towards a general business degree part time while working after they read some books and take some tests :). You may think at first that you just want to be technical forever, but a decade into it and you will start wanting to rise up the ranks into sales engineering or management. The business degree opens up a ton of options for your future once hands-on technical work burns you out.

Edited by OptimusReim