Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Feeling bad about the weekend, although I knew I needed to discipline the kid. He and his team were invited to play at a soccer carnival... basically 4 of the regional clubs playing their best under 10s against each other. Coach says the training before the weekend to pack 'sunscreen, hat and lots of water' as it was going to be hot.

My wife and I reminded our son about it a couple times... have you packed your stuff for the game, did you put the sunscreen in the bag etc. Got to the venue, and it was already blazing hot. Told him to take his sunscreen and hat out, and he said, 'oh i forgot to pack it.'. Wife goes ballistic, and we marched him down to the coach and told my son to apologise to his coach and his team mates, but he would be missing the games. He was in tears, visibly very upset and got some consoling from the coach and his mates. Spoke to the coach and apologised for the issue, but discipline needed to be dished out. Coach said he understood, and that he would have done the exact same thing (at least we're on the same wavelength).

Hopefully he learns his lesson, but knowing that he's a typical boy, he'll forget and make the same mistake next week.

• Like 1

Feeling bad about the weekend, although I knew I needed to discipline the kid. He and his team were invited to play at a soccer carnival... basically 4 of the regional clubs playing their best under 10s against each other. Coach says the training before the weekend to pack 'sunscreen, hat and lots of water' as it was going to be hot.

My wife and I reminded our son about it a couple times... have you packed your stuff for the game, did you put the sunscreen in the bag etc. Got to the venue, and it was already blazing hot. Told him to take his sunscreen and hat out, and he said, 'oh i forgot to pack it.'. Wife goes ballistic, and we marched him down to the coach and told my son to apologise to his coach and his team mates, but he would be missing the games. He was in tears, visibly very upset and got some consoling from the coach and his mates. Spoke to the coach and apologised for the issue, but discipline needed to be dished out. Coach said he understood, and that he would have done the exact same thing (at least we're on the same wavelength).

Hopefully he learns his lesson, but knowing that he's a typical boy, he'll forget and make the same mistake next week.

Does he get sunburnt easily? Lol, honeslty, I think him forgetting to pack sunscreen isnt something that should allow you to not let him play, lol. If I told my hockey coach that I couldnt play because my parents wouldnt let me for forgetting let's say my neckguard, he would go completlet insane, but then again im 15 and your sons like 8 or 9.

Does he get sunburnt easily? Lol, honeslty, I think him forgetting to pack sunscreen isnt something that should allow you to not let him play, lol. If I told my hockey coach that I couldnt play because my parents wouldnt let me for forgetting let's say my neckguard, he would go completlet insane, but then again im 15 and your sons like 8 or 9.

Someday, when you're a parent, you will understand.

• Like 3

Mate, the sun in Aussie-land ain't something to trifle with...

• Like 1

You'd need to know what the sun is like, what the kid's other behavior is, and how he responded when asked if he'd packed the stuff, among other things. Even with all that, I don't think I'd attempt to judge how parents choose to raise a kid. And if they've been consistent, the kid well knows what to expect. I was even wondering if he didn't pack the stuff deliberately.
  • Like 1

It's obvious that he could easily have borrowed sunscreen from another player, and played, having already made the trip and all.

that tells me that there was more to the "need for discipline" than this one incident, and the forgotten sunscreen was simply a catalyst for the provision of consequences.

• Like 1

This is the problem with today's youth. I'm seeing a lot of people making excuses for the kid and trying to find ways around the kid not doing what he was apparently asked numerous times to do. A parent found a need to discipline his child and did so. Good on him for making a hard decision.

• Like 2

How dare anyone criticize another on how they parent. This is far from an abusive situation, so check yourself.

Not sure if this is directed at my comment or not, but I hope nobody feels fatwabbit doesn't feel as if I was being critical. Far from it.

I wasnt trying to tell them how to raise there kid, im just saying that if i was the kid I would be super pissed, lol. Im sorry if it came across the wrong way

I agree sometimes the tough decisions have to be made just to prove a point. You truly do have to be a parent to understand, but you made the right call in my books and I would have done the same thing.

• Like 1

At least Pierre just talks. Emrick sounds like he thinks he's giving a speech, and getting extra points for pacing, style, cadence, number of different words used, regardless of meaning and fit. He also gets lost in the useless stuff he's saying, and forgets the game play.

• Like 2

At least Pierre just talks. Emrick sounds like he thinks he's giving a speech, and getting extra points for pacing, style, cadence, number of different words used, regardless of meaning and fit. He also gets lost in the useless stuff he's saying, and forgets the game play.

He's used to doing Devils games, you have to find some way to amuse yourself when you have to watch that 82 times a year.

I spent the last week in the hospital after having a PCT procedure with two drainage tubes in. Then on Wednesday when they went back in to upsize the tubes. Easily one of the most painful things I've gone through.

I get to keep those in for three weeks. Then they will put in even larger ones. If I go by how these have felt It should be a wonderful spring. At least the Oxycodone is starting to work.

• Like 1

You can throw Eddie O in the mix as well. All three of them could be replaced and I would be opposed. Apparently, Eddie wants to get back into coaching. You think some organization(s) will give him a look?

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

You can throw Eddie O in the mix as well. All three of them could be replaced and I would be opposed. Apparently, Eddie wants to get back into coaching. You think some organization(s) will give him a look?

No, I don't. As much as I like Eddie, he was not good as a head coach.

I meant 'I would NOT be opposed' but I agree. I know the Pens were removing themselves from years of misery but I wasn't impressed with what he did during his tenure.

It didn't help that he had an immature star making his job much more difficult.