Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Stafford21

Adding Blade Texture

These might not be exactly what you're looking for, but close.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...=blade++texture

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...=blade++texture

To those that have used Z-tac, what exactly is the purpose of the texture on the blade? Is it for extra grip? Protection? If it's for grip, wouldn't taping your stick completely defeat the purpose of it?

silica sand and clear coat is just like the Z tac stuff that goes on a lot of pro blades. Just spray some clear and sprinkle some silica sand on your blade and add a little more clear. It really works. I will try and post a picture later tomorrow

A little more friction on the puck. Better spin for saucers and shots. Aspecially for those who doesn´t tape the whole blade but I would say for everybody!

Chadd has me hooked on spraying my wood blades with truck bed liner. It adds some texture and grit to the blade. I honestly don't care about the grit, I'm just looking for the water sealing properties. But it does add what you want it to.

Works excellent!!

I sprayed my blade with black spray paint then added some clear and then silica sand and then more clear to seal. It is very easy and the more sand the more texture and grit.

ztacsand.jpg

I found some spray stuff in the garage last night and decided to spray a stick I don't use much with it, it actually worked pretty nice and feels similar to the sandpaper finish on my Easton pro stock. It's called Rust-Oleum Textured spray.

blade1.jpg

blade2.jpg

Edited by cemetery

Can you skip the tape if you have that sprayed on?

I guess that depends on if you want the bottom of your blade to wear and don't like the dampening properties of tape.

i made the bottom of an s19 shaft i have matte like the one95 with this testors matte finish clearcoat stuff.....looks really nice!

Do u know the specific brand and if home depot carries it? Does this impact blade durability at all?

There's a product by 3M at Canadian Tire that I noticed about a month ago...don't know if there is something similar (aside from Z-Tac), as it's the first time I've seen it:

3M Liquid Hockey Tape

It's more of a rubberized tacky/gritty liquid you put on after you've taped your stick. Says it takes 25 minutes to dry, I'd say it takes closer to an hour unless you use a fan or hairdryer.

I actually love the stuff, as I find it gives me a little more control and really improves puck feel.

Unfortunately, it can't take too much of a beating, and I have to re-tape and re-apply after almost every game. Your mileage may vary, but I've simply gone back to tape and wax.

i made the bottom of an s19 shaft i have matte like the one95 with this testors matte finish clearcoat stuff.....looks really nice!

Testors Dullcoat?

Since some of you guys are doing this crazy grip stuff to the blade, has anybody given skateboard grip tape a try?

Seems like a less permanent idea in case you decide you don't like a sandpaper blade.

I just picked up an x60 with a sandpaper blade. My simple question: Why?

Should I use it without tape? I wasn't really planning on it, but otherwise the finish just doesn't make sense to me.

I just picked up an x60 with a sandpaper blade. My simple question: Why?

Should I use it without tape? I wasn't really planning on it, but otherwise the finish just doesn't make sense to me.

PP. Last I checked Mike Green of Washington plays with just the ZTAC, but I've seen others with both.