Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Feedback/Questions about Subscriptions

Thanks for setting this up. $10 is fair and it at least helps weed out potential scammers, bad buyers/sellers.

My one concern is that in the ice hockey equipment section (i don't check the roller), there are some guys (non members ++) that advertise their stuff on especially on threads where someone is looking for opinions on equipment to buy. It doesn't happen too often but could spread. Just a heads up!

Thanks for setting this up. $10 is fair and it at least helps weed out potential scammers, bad buyers/sellers.

My one concern is that in the ice hockey equipment section (i don't check the roller), there are some guys (non members ++) that advertise their stuff on especially on threads where someone is looking for opinions on equipment to buy. It doesn't happen too often but could spread. Just a heads up!

I've been doing my best to weed out those posts and add to the warning level on those members. I'm sure that I miss some but I'm doing my best.

There could be a topic started by a mod titled "Member Feedback" and within that topic each MSH member that is eligible to sell can create a thread within the topic titled "Feedback for (member user name)".

This way if one member has a great experience with a transaction from another member, they can leave positive feedback for each other in the Member Feedback section, under their respective member feedback thread. Obviously, it works for both positive and negative feedback and would be a great way for members to have feedback before buying, selling or trading equipment.

This format allows the members of MSH keep things in check and it frees up the mods from having to monitor the thread on a regular basis.

Just a thought :)

Here's where I stand:

I visit this site regularly to keep up to date on what manufacturers are doing and such. I realized last night that I need a new pair of gloves, and I remember that a while back I visited a gear exchange section on this site. It's been a while since I last looked through that area so I thought I would check it out. Apparently, a casual potential buyer like myself no longer has the ability to brows through the items that are for sale. I'm not going to spend money to buy a membership to this section when I have no idea what is even in it. What if I buy a membership and find out that I'm one of only 20 people and the gear exchange was a waste of $$?

My point is, how about opening up the section for anyone to look in, and charge $10 for the ability to post? I think that would benefit everyone because it would encourage more people to pay to join in the conversation. In addition, it would make items for sale visible to more potential buyers. In fact, why not let nonmembers buy stuff? As long as they pay for the items before they are shipped the members are not taking any risk.

James

Keep in mind also that this site is very graciously run non profit by a small group of people who pour a lot of hours into it to keep it the top notch community it is. If this is the easiest way for them to control a section of the website then I'm ok with it. You still have the option to get in there. Keep in mind the buy sell section was never supposed to be a place to make profit. It was just a place to unload gear you had no use for to someone else who might want it. Ebay is a great place if you want to window shop.

First, it is only $10 and second, if they let people "window shop" then what is to stop them from circumventing the subscription by pm-ing a seller/looking to buy-trade person outside of the Exchange?

Very good point. I don't have any ideas for how this type of behavior could be prevented. At the same time, why does it need to be prevented? What's the harm in a paying member getting paid for an item they have for sale? In my opinion, it makes sense for members to pay the $10 fee to be able to list items for sale, but anyone should have the ability to shop and buy.

You still have the option to get in there. Keep in mind the buy sell section was never supposed to be a place to make profit. It was just a place to unload gear you had no use for to someone else who might want it. Ebay is a great place if you want to window shop.

I don't understand what you mean by the first quoted sentence?

What exactly do you mean by make a profit? Are you worried people are going to buy stuff somewhere else and try to sell it here for more? IMO that's making a profit. I'm confident this forum is not intended as a place to give stuff away for nothing either. It's about connecting buyers and sellers and executing transactions at a price that is mutually beneficial.

What's the harm in people doing a little window shopping?

What if I buy a membership and find out that I'm one of only 20 people and the gear exchange was a waste of $$?

Fortunately others didn't have the same concerns. There are currently 192 subscribers plus mods and senior members.

My point is, how about opening up the section for anyone to look in, and charge $10 for the ability to post?

We considered this, but we know full well that a lot of people would circumvent that process by working out sales/purchases via PM instead of posting.

If you don't want to participate in the Gear Exchange, we are not trying to pressure you into doing so. A large number of our members choose not to do so, yet we still appreciate their participation in the rest of our site. That said, it is comforting to know that we now have the resources to cover our expenses and not have to pay for things like the ice for the MSH skates out of our personal pockets and hope we get our money back down the road.

I don't understand what you mean by the first quoted sentence?

What exactly do you mean by make a profit? Are you worried people are going to buy stuff somewhere else and try to sell it here for more? IMO that's making a profit. I'm confident this forum is not intended as a place to give stuff away for nothing either. It's about connecting buyers and sellers and executing transactions at a price that is mutually beneficial.

I mean it's to avoid people taking advantage of a free buy/sell section where they can sell their goods with no overhead, and have it just for people who have old gear they just want to sell. Yes it is still profit, but it is not profit in the commercial sense.

Fortunately others didn't have the same concerns. There are currently 192 subscribers plus mods and senior members.

We considered this, but we know full well that a lot of people would circumvent that process by working out sales/purchases via PM instead of posting.

If you don't want to participate in the Gear Exchange, we are not trying to pressure you into doing so. A large number of our members choose not to do so, yet we still appreciate their participation in the rest of our site. That said, it is comforting to know that we now have the resources to cover our expenses and not have to pay for things like the ice for the MSH skates out of our personal pockets and hope we get our money back down the road.

That's a good number of subscribers. I am happy to read that the gear exchange section is so healthy.

I totally get the thought process that has resulted in this section being totally off limits to non-paying members, and it makes sense. It's just too bad there is not a better solution that would give paying members a bigger market to sell to. I guess ebay is that solution. What's the rational for trying to prevent sales via PM? Is the intention to keep the community of participants small? In my opinion, it makes the most sense to open it up to anyone who wants to buy, but require membership to sell. That's just my opinion though, and the mods who decided the direction to take this clearly know what they are doing since this site is so successful already.

I mean it's to avoid people taking advantage of a free buy/sell section where they can sell their goods with no overhead, and have it just for people who have old gear they just want to sell. Yes it is still profit, but it is not profit in the commercial sense.

I see what you mean.