Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael9

Your leagues rules.

So how does your league work, just kinda curious? I play in a Senior A league, its composed of 14 teams in 3 divisions. 26 season games with an all-star game in December. All teams make the playoffs and top seeds get a bye to the second round. Round 1 is best of 5 and rounds 2, 3 and 4 are best of 7 series. Games are three stopped 15 minute periods and we use a 3 referee system. Hitting is permitted, but only within the face-off circles and the boards. hockey-arena_HKBW0039.jpg

and this is our website: http://lhsr.qc.ca/

I don't understand what's to be gained from no center ice hits?

I can see eliminating the mid ice collisions that are usually violent and unexpected....

I like the rule myself/... sounds like one heck of a league with playoff series and such...wow

sounds expensive too!

Very interesting idea, Michael.

My only further suggestion would be to outlaw hitting around the net. Not only does contact around the goal greatly increase the risk of injury to goalies, it also includes those kind of death-alley hits where a puck-carrier coming down the wing, swoops around net at full speed, and gets drilled as he comes out from behind - see the Downie-on-McAmmond hit as one prime example.

I think that would have the potential to cut down on a lot of the high-risk plays in Senior A, while only removing a small percentage of the game's physicality.

The league I play in is a no-checking league: you can engage guys physically in front of the net and along the boards, but you can't slam into them: use force, but don't impart force. I used to play full-contact, but I'd have guys getting dumped on top of me every time I covered the puck, which was a far greater injury-risk than anything else in the game. The problem here is that a no-check game is 100% referee-dependent. Some guys call nothing except what would be a borderline charge in a full-contact game; other refs call checking penalties if you squeeze a guy off along the boards without holding his hand and putting a pillow under his head as he goes down. It's not entirely their fault, either, because the rules aren't clear.

IMO, that kind of clear, concise guideline can only help the refs to do their jobs.

Damn! What do you pay for a season like that? We're usually lucky if all teams get a playoff game (a lot of seasons the top 4 or 6 will do a playoff and the other 2 will get a consolation game), I can't imagine playing a multigame series. Sounds like a blast.

The problem here is that a no-check game is 100% referee-dependent. Some guys call nothing except what would be a borderline charge in a full-contact game; other refs call checking penalties if you squeeze a guy off along the boards without holding his hand and putting a pillow under his head as he goes down. It's not entirely their fault, either, because the rules aren't clear.

IMO, that kind of clear, concise guideline can only help the refs to do their jobs.

Yeah, it's hugely ref-dependent. (And timing-dependent too, I've noticed -- on days when the game is right before a big football game, for example, the refs will often mysteriously "lose" their whistles, especially when it comes to icing calls.)

Consistency would be nice. I don't even really care where in the spectrum the games fall, if they would just be consistent across the whole league and season. I know that's really tough to achieve, though.

Damn! What do you pay for a season like that? We're usually lucky if all teams get a playoff game (a lot of seasons the top 4 or 6 will do a playoff and the other 2 will get a consolation game), I can't imagine playing a multigame series. Sounds like a blast.
The problem here is that a no-check game is 100% referee-dependent. Some guys call nothing except what would be a borderline charge in a full-contact game; other refs call checking penalties if you squeeze a guy off along the boards without holding his hand and putting a pillow under his head as he goes down. It's not entirely their fault, either, because the rules aren't clear.

Yeah, it's hugely ref-dependent. (And timing-dependent too, I've noticed -- on days when the game is right before a big football game, for example, the refs will often mysteriously "lose" their whistles, especially when it comes to icing calls.)

Consistency would be nice. I don't even really care where in the spectrum the games fall, if they would just be consistent across the whole league and season. I know that's really tough to achieve, though.

Hard to tell if you are talking about a Rec league...or the NHL...hmmmm?

BTW, as a small side-issue, best of luck with the league this season. I can only hope Quebec will be back in the Allan Cup for the 2010 tourney!

I don't pay to play.

Bumping an old one to continue the discussion of unique league rules. Here's one from the league I just started playing in.

The Hat Trick Rule: You are only allowed to score 1 hat trick per season. You can have as many 2 goal games as you want, but once you get your hattie...if you have 2 goals and take a distinct shot on net, it is an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty.

My C-league (Livonia, MI) plays blue-line icing. 10-10-12 stop-time periods. 3-man shootout, then sudden death (no ties). All teams make playoffs, single elimination, best-of-3 final.

My D-league (Fraser, MI) has a 2-goal cap per player, per game. 3 11-min stop-time periods. Red line icing. Not sure how shootouts or playoffs work, it's my first year in that league.

So how does your league work, just kinda curious? I play in a Senior A league, its composed of 14 teams in 3 divisions. 26 season games with an all-star game in December. All teams make the playoffs and top seeds get a bye to the second round. Round 1 is best of 5 and rounds 2, 3 and 4 are best of 7 series. Games are three stopped 15 minute periods and we use a 3 referee system. Hitting is permitted, but only within the face-off circles and the boards. hockey-arena_HKBW0039.jpg

and this is our website: http://lhsr.qc.ca/

A guy on my beer league team last year used to play in your league. Had to stop after he dislocated his hip (!) on a check.

Bumping an old one to continue the discussion of unique league rules. Here's one from the league I just started playing in.

The Hat Trick Rule: You are only allowed to score 1 hat trick per season. You can have as many 2 goal games as you want, but once you get your hattie...if you have 2 goals and take a distinct shot on net, it is an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty.

That's... ridiculous. First, the problem of somebody getting "too many hat tricks" should be addressed simply by having that player move up a division. Second, how the hell are the refs supposed to know that player has already had a hat trick in the season and to call a penalty like that?

There are 3 divisions: Minor, Semi Pro and Pro. This rule is in all 3.

I'm not sure how they enforce it. I assume the scorers know going into a game who the hattie guy is, and refs know to watch for him/her.

It's a rule they've played with since the league started...It's not new...so it must work.

I would guess that the idea is to cut down on the huge hits with guys going full-tilt. This could cut the risk of injury.

yep this is how I tore my ACL and now am 5.5 months out on surgery and recovery.

I was going full tilt and some jerk checks me.... Rest is painful.