Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
NuggyBuggy

Which edge checker ?

Wondering if its something I'm doing wrong but I'm using the Blackstone butterfly gage and I'll check for level edges with the heel facing me and they will be level all 3 places but if I flip the skate the edges are showing not level.

If it's inconsistently wrong, I would say debris on the blade/checker is messing you up. If it is consistently wrong, since there is not a lot of rocket science built into those things, I would expect that one of the pieces might have been messed up in manufacturing. For example if one of the pieces was "out of tolerance" and not actually constructed to right angles, you would sharpen until the edges APPEARED even. However, they would actually be uneven to compensate for the error in the edge checker. So when you flipped the skate/checker, I would think the observed error would then actually be 2X the error that was in the manufacturing of the edge checker. Just a guess though.

I took some pictures, i think your right i think the part with the level lines is actually off.

9eY8VEO.jpg

Level

gfWG3o4.jpg

Same spot not level when flipped.

rGxKaxT.jpg

Its really hard to tell from pictures without the part in front of your eyes but it looks like it is slightly higher groove on the left side.

Same thing happens with mine. The part with the lines is not level.

Really did you complain back to Blackstone about it?

I sent an email off to one of the sales reps with pictures and explanation and he said that it could be a depression on the blade. I've replicated the issue on 3 different pairs of skates and each skate blade i marked to make sure i was checking at a consistent point on each blade, they all exhibit the same thing.

They also said that "if you are within a line and a half that is considered even", i almost want to purchase a BR100 to compare and see but i don't really have extra cash to do that.

Either way not to impressed right now.

Edited by stick&puck

I didn't complain to Blackstone. I have a BR100 too, so I just use the line piece from that and the magnet from the blackstone part. Works great for me and I don't have worry about using electrical tape.

Blademaster is out of stock on the BR100 right now but still didn't want to have to buy another one considering I just bought this one..

Edited by stick&puck

No edge checker is going to be perfect, we are talking about a cheap mechanical measure made out of aluminum. I have 4 different brands, they are all about the same in regards to accuracy. I agree with Blackstone, within 1 line is fine. You'll have an aneurism trying to get those things to be perfectly level. So, just lay a quarter on the blade. If it looks square, the skate will perform fine, if the quarter is tilted, the skater will likely have issues. The quarter is as accurate as any of the edge checkers out there. Cheaper too.

Edited by jimmy

I agree with you that its not going to be perfect but to measure the exact same spot heel to toe one side being level and then flipping the orintation of the holder toe to heel it should also read the same i would think, since its the exact same place of measurement.

I'm farily new to all this which is why i am asking, not trying to argue with anyone :-)

Edited by stick&puck

I recently had all of our Blackstone Butterfly gauges replaced. The first batch of the squares had the thumb screws mounted too high, which resulted in the screw usually only clamping part of the top edge of the runner and wanting to pull it to the side a bit. If you compare the height to the BR100 or BR200 you will notice the difference in screw placement. I got the new ones in from Blackstone a couple weeks ago and haven't had anymore problems.

• Like 1

I recently had all of our Blackstone Butterfly gauges replaced. The first batch of the squares had the thumb screws mounted too high, which resulted in the screw usually only clamping part of the top edge of the runner and wanting to pull it to the side a bit. If you compare the height to the BR100 or BR200 you will notice the difference in screw placement. I got the new ones in from Blackstone a couple weeks ago and haven't had anymore problems.

I'm going to send mine in. The guys broke my personal Quick Square, so we're going to need the Blackstone one now.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what brand of skate gauge this is?  There is no set screw, it is fully magnetic.  The magnetic angle has a Blademaster sticker on it but the other part has no markings on it.  I'm new to skate sharpening and this came with the blademaster machine I bought.  I'm having a bit of a hard time with the edges (according to this gauge).  If I check with heel facing me the gauge will show the edges are even.  If I then turn the skate around and have the toe facing me and put the gauge in the same exact place on the blade it will usually not show even edges?  I've also had  I was thinking of simply buying a new gauge to confirm if its me or if its the gauge.  Any help is appreciated.

20161022_090737_zps3xlu55hh.jpg20161022_091644_zpsb8ap04zk.jpg

Howdy,

On 10/22/2016 at 11:01 PM, 218hockey said:

How about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331970300009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172349229987?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks like that second one works with two magnets. Not sure about that.

Anyone used either of these?

I wouldn't mind owning an edge height checker, but $100 for a BR100 seems a little silly after having used one at the local rink.

Mark

Edited by marka

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just ordered the Sparx edge checker now that it's finally out. Might as well stick with their stuff, right? They had a Black Friday sale too.

Even with Black Friday sale, Blademaster is less expensive.

I have the Sparx edge checker. It's sturdy and works really well. On LS3 steel I get consistent readings tow to heel or heel to toe. It's allowed me to really dial in my alignment on my sharpener for measurably perfect edges.

I also have the Edgechecker.com edge checker. I like the design but I find the magnet area on the back piece that attaches to the side of the blade is too tall, even with brand new LS3 steel, and this causes it to sit high up on the blade, making the level front piece read from the bottom two lines of dots. It's obviously a much cheaper piece of equipment, the 'dot printout' on the back piece itself seems a little low tech and mine doesn't appear to be stuck on perfectly level to begin with. But it gets the job done and is half the price of the Sparx unit.

If I was going the cheaper route again and had my time back I'd try the Prosharp edge checker. Similar design as Edge Checker, but a higher tech version, and it appears the magnet on the back piece is nice and shallow which should sit well on any blade, even those that are well worn down. $65 in Canada, $49 in US. https://prosharp.ca/collections/accessories/products/test or https://prosharp.us.com/collections/accessories/products/test

colins

Edited by colins
added US costs/URL

8 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Just looked on the website. For that price, you'd think it would be made in the USA.

That's not something I care about.

4 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

Even with Black Friday sale, Blademaster is less expensive.

Maybe so. But I figured I have the whole setup already, might as well. 

4 hours ago, colins said:

If I was going the cheaper route again and had my time back I'd try the Prosharp edge checker. Similar design as Edge Checker, but a higher tech version, and it appears the magnet on the back piece is nice and shallow which should sit well on any blade, even those that are well worn down. $65 in Canada, $49 in US. https://prosharp.ca/collections/accessories/products/test or https://prosharp.us.com/collections/accessories/products/test

Thanks.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Anyone used either of these?

I wouldn't mind owning an edge height checker, but $100 for a BR100 seems a little silly after having used one at the local rink.

Mark

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, 218hockey said:

How about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331970300009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172349229987?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks like that second one works with two magnets. Not sure about that.

I was going to buy the Prosharp, but when I put it in the cart the cost went to $79 when you included their shipping.  So, I went with the $30 edgechecker on ebay (the rainbow striped one, the lower link). Mistake. Looked like it cost 25 cents to make. The back piece measuring gauge was glued on 2 or 3 mm crooked. The magnet portion of the back piece was clearly not square in the least. It's only about 2 inches long, so the inaccuracy stated render it totally worthless.  Sent back. A measuring tool needs to be accurate, or you might as well not even use one. I just bought a Wissota 911, so I may have to spring for their $99 Elite version.

1 hour ago, clarkiestooth said:

So, I went with the $30 edgechecker on ebay (the rainbow striped one, the lower link). Mistake. Looked like it cost 25 cents to make. The back piece measuring gauge was glued on 2 or 3 mm crooked. The magnet portion of the back piece was clearly not square in the least. It's only about 2 inches long, so the inaccuracy stated render it totally worthless.  Sent back. A measuring tool needs to be accurate, or you might as well not even use one.

Mine's good. Unless somethings bent I don't see how it could be inaccurate.

Edited by 218hockey
'