Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
NuggyBuggy

Which edge checker ?

I have the Blackstone Bat Gage, but whenever I use it seems like I can get 3 different readings depending on how I fiddle with it. It's less than inspiring, and a bit finicky.

I've found the following (not sure if I have tagged the manufacturer's properly in all cases):

Blademaster BR100 - ~ $150

Blademaster BR200 - ~ $63

Quick square (made by SkateWorks ?) - $150

Edge-Pro EMT Skate Blade Edge Gauge $45

Edge Checker (Goose's Pro ?) - $60

What edge checkers do the pros whose livelihood depends on this use ?

Clearly, there's a wide range of prices here, but I don't really care about that: I'm just a regular guy trying to learn how to sharpen my family's skates when I'm away from the city, but I'm willing to pay more for anything that will work even a little better and make my life just a tiny bit easier.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by NuggyBuggy

I have the BR100. I have had the same backpiece for years and I usually use two of the magnet piece per season. I love this edge checker. I've used a couple of other kinds but I keep coming back to the BR100. It's easy to use and I trust the reading it gives me.

I use the edge pro - cheap enough and works - I also put tape on the two sides to protect the steel and the tool from wear(JR suggested to do this???) - works great - I like seeing the light through the tool gives me a good reading and I know how much to adjust my height

BR-100 FTW by a Mile. It may be a little costly, but well worth it. Like Reg/JR said, throw a layer of Electrical tape on the back of the magnet side and you'll be set.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, the Quick Square from Skate works is the Same as the BR-100. I'm not exactly sure on BM's practice of selling to an individual, so that looks like a good backup in case BM won't sell it...but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Edited by wex12

Ive been wanting the BR100 for a few years now but could never get my owner to spend the money on it.. Last year CCM sent out free Edge Checkers to be used on the crap steel they were putting on the U+ skates at the time. Ive since called and reordered four or them to have around the shop.. Its free and it works fine for me, but if i had a choice id definitely choose the BR100.

Edited by CTHockey

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Looks like the BR100 was the unanimous pick, so that's what I just ordered !

Now, what do I do with that Bat Gage....

p.s. they have no problem shipping to consumers.

Wex - the QuickSquare and BR100 are the exact same. It was a Maximum Edge product and now distributed by Blademaster.

As for replacing magnetic angles, I've used my original one, for 7 years. All I have done is put a strip of electrical tape on it, replace every week, no scoring on the metal at all.

I use the cheap EDGE Pro on (with the drilled holes), and it is really all I need with my X-02. It is very reliable and I do sometimes recheck with the Bat Gauge. The Bat Gauge is fussy. EDGE Pro is great and cheap IMHO.

BR-100 FTW by a Mile. It may be a little costly, but well worth it. Like Reg/JR said, throw a layer of Electrical tape on the back of the magnet side and you'll be set.

Got the BR-100 the other day, after a bit of fooling around it is clear it will be far less fussy than the Bat Gage.

I do have two questions:

1- when inserting the runner in the slotted part of the BR-100 (the part with the thumbscrew) is it necessary for the runner to go all the way into the slot, or is just enough that the side of the BR-100 is flush with the runner ? I thought about it a bit, and came to the conclusion it shouldn't matter - am I right ?

2- (somewhat related) do you only need electrical tape on the part with the magnet, or should I have tape in the slotted part too ?

Now I need to score some cheap skates to work on until I have the guts to work on my own. I've been touring local thrift stores for the last two weeks, and have been shocked to find that none of them have used skates. A local PIAS gave me a pair they were going to throw out, but it wouldn't fit in the youth Tri-lie holder :angry:

1 ) doesn't matter - as long as secure. Depending on how much steel is left, I may bring it up to see between lines

2) Just put a strip of tape on the thing, right on the area where the blade will touch the magnetic angle. Sometimes what I do is just put a longer piece, and just pull off and slide for a fresh area of tape.

HDI is th emost accurate I have used. It does one thing the others cant, it measures depth of hollow. This comes in handy when converting a blade to FBV, you might think you have a good flat cut into the steel, but most of the time a few more passes are need to get the old radius hollow out.

I think it is the best way to be sure that you ground out the round hollow, which will be .003 deep. When you see the needle deflect to .003 you know that the deepest part of the round is still present. It is more durable than you think, I've dropped mine a few times and its still works fine, and its quicker to set up than you think once you get the hang of it. Because it measures the depth of hallow you can check a skate when you get it and know which radius they are currently skating on, which is handy from time to time as well.

I'm also a fan of the HDI. It's great to be able to check hollow depths to match someone's old hollow (if they don't know what it was). The only negatives are the price (if you are a home sharpener) and it's a bit cumbersome to check a blade while still on the clamp/holder. The blademaster quick square is also a great tool and will give you the same result. As a side note, I checked a skate that was FBV sharpened with the HDI and I got a depth of almost 0.002". I was under the impression that the depths were all under 0.001". It was on a Tuuk LS2, maybe they tested it with a narrower blade.

I used the bat gage, but didn't like it much. Then I switched to the edge checker. I thought it was OK for a while, but I noticed I would get a different reading when I put it on the opposite side of the skate. I just got a BR100 and this is definitely the one to have. After getting my edges straight with the BR100, I realized the edge checker had always been off.

FYI - I tried to order from skateworks since they have an online order page, but they no longer sell it. They sent me on to blademaster.

• Like 1

I have tried most of them and the one I like the best and use is the edge checker. Didnt get it through Gooses. Got it directly from Seymour in Canada. Only $50 delivered. I like it better than any on the market. With all edge checkers they may give different readings if not kept free of debris. I wipe mine done before & after each use. I also use a height comparator gauge. It's a little time consuming but it really takes the guess work out of the starting point especially switching form a standard hockey blade to a goalie blade on the same holder.

Edited by Franko

I think it is the best way to be sure that you ground out the round hollow, which will be .003 deep. When you see the needle deflect to .003 you know that the deepest part of the round is still present. It is more durable than you think, I've dropped mine a few times and its still works fine, and its quicker to set up than you think once you get the hang of it. Because it measures the depth of hallow you can check a skate when you get it and know which radius they are currently skating on, which is handy from time to time as well.

I also like the HDI, accurate & fairly robust, though overkill unless you sharpen for earnings, also works very well for FBV wether ensuring the hollow is all gone, or ensuring it is all back.

Here is an alternative for replacing the magnetic angles for the BR that is inexpensive. . . a trip to your local Home Depot can get you the same aluminium angle (4 or 5 ft of it) for $5 or $6. . . . 10 minutes with a hacksaw & file, swap the magnet and cover onto the newly cut angle with 2-way tape and voila. . brand new angle for the BR. I replace mine about every 1000 pair or so. . . .

...or just use electrical tape. Change it weekly if you want. I've had the same magnetic angle for 8 yrs. When I pull the tape off, the original paint is still there, unscored.

Is the only difference from the BR100 and the BR200 the multiple line marks on the 100? They look pretty close from the pics.

While being new to this skate shrpening too, I don't have a lot of confidence in the bat gauge I have and am looking for someting else.

Edited by muddy

can't believe how expensive these things are for what it is. the used x01 i purchased came with the br200 and i was almost not going to take it but am glad i did. so the only difference between the br200 and br100 is the lines at a $87 premium??

I want to be able to check that my edges are even. Are Edge Checkers easy to use even if you know nothing about sharpening a skate, and do they work on FBV? What are the best ones in the $100 to $200 price range?